• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 michmowerman OFFLINE  

michmowerman

• Member No: 3429
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 02:49 PM

having a clutch problem I think. The clutch stopped engaging and I can no longer cut my yard. Was working very well but recently stopped altogether. Tried tightening the belt, checked clutch disc clearance as its an EZ adjustable clutch and still not engaging. I finally took it apart and it looks ok with slight glazing on clutch a couple bright spots on clutch plate otherwise looks fine. Talked to someone knowledgable about this and he said the mechanical clutch when trying to engage should grab or slam together (Even if glazed slightly he said should still engage) when engaging and mine is not..sometimes if I play with the clucth lever it will engage but not up to speed though and will not cut. Also I looked at the belt and it doesn't look to be slippin and looks fairly new. Really would like to get her runnin soon as grass is gettin taller as we speak..plenty o rain here. Any words of wisdom or insight that someone can give me! Really would appreciate it!:rolleyes:

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:42 PM

So the Bellville spring wasn't busted/cracked?

#3 michmowerman OFFLINE  

michmowerman

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:26 PM

No, nothing broken. Did talk to someone who said, that my Case ie. 1974 model once was a shim type clutch and was modified to incorporate the new at the time EZ clutch. I didn't know that. Seems thats everything is ok and I guess I will just try and clean everything and lightly sand disc and the metal clutch plate to clear up the shiny surface and put it back and give it another try to see if it will work. Is it possible that the spring clutch load washers are not as "springy" or concave enough, as if it possibly lost some of its ability?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:32 PM

I am only slightly familiar with these clutches, but they are fairly simple in design. There are likely measurements for spring sack, but not sure. I'll see if I can find any.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Do you have the complete EZ clutch adjustment manual? If not, it's in the manual section here at GTT under Case Tractor Manuals.

#6 michmowerman OFFLINE  

michmowerman

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for your help and Yes, I found the manual and tried to adjust it as it was about .014 and I adjusted it to about .05 and still the clutch wouldn't engage. I found an online parts for it and I will replace the 2 spring clutch washers and all 6 wave washer springs along with a new disk and hopefully solve my problem but not sure. Wierd how it worked so well then suddenly stopped. Oh, I did find one bearing to be a little tight non free wheeling as the other two, so I will replace it just to make sure. Any thoughts?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:39 AM

No thoughts other than I hope it works after the new parts. As I said, not that much experience with these. I have one to install whenever I get time.

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 02:09 PM

The 2 spring washers are what apply the load

#9 michmowerman OFFLINE  

michmowerman

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thanx mikebramel,
I didn't see in manual any sorta measurement on the spring washers (Bellevile washers) so I just replaced them and now waiting for parts to come in. Is their any contact cement or glue that I need to get to bond my new friction disc onto my clutch wheel? Also on my clutch plate is there supposed to be some cross hatch marks on its surface alike car manual trans flywheels as mine is super smooth glossy finish? I would think it would need a crosshatch pattern so disc has something to bite on when its engaged? Anyone do this before?

#10 bibleguy125 OFFLINE  

bibleguy125

• Member No: 4979
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:35 PM

I am having the same problem with my Case 222. Have you found what the problem was with your clutch? What was the website you found for the parts (the spring concave and wave washers)? I have replaced 2 of the 3 bearings that were shot thinking they were the problem and adjusted the plates into the correct tolerances, still having the same issue.

#11 bhildret OFFLINE  

bhildret

• Member No: 1803
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 04:32 AM

I am having the same problem with my Case 222. Have you found what the problem was with your clutch? What was the website you found for the parts (the spring concave and wave washers)? I have replaced 2 of the 3 bearings that were shot thinking they were the problem and adjusted the plates into the correct tolerances, still having the same issue.

BG125, drop me at line via PM. We may be able to help you. Proper adjustment, replacement of the disk, and small spring washers is usually all that's required.

Brian Hildreth
Salem Power Equipment

Edited by MH81, July 23, 2011 - 07:22 AM.