#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Anyone have any experience with a Farmall 400? I am looking into buying one to do a little farming (around 5 acres) and I'm needing a older tractor. I have a Kubota L2000 (20hp) that I was going to do the work with but I got to thinking that if something breaks or if I overdo anything and blow it up then I am out a lot of $$$$ trying to buy another one and I would be a lot of money ahead to buy a old farm tractor around 30 to 50hp.

Anyway, I was looking at a Farmall M that was really nice but it sold. The same guy has this 400 and he is wanting $2600 (same price as the M) The tires are close to new with no weathering at all, it has the 2-pt that I will convert over to 3-pt. It has a wide front which is good because I want to put a loader on it and hydraulic steering. The tractor runs great and everything works including the torque amplifier. However I have heard that the TA can be a hassle and they can go out if misused or not maintained right.

Anyone have any thoughts???
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden 093.png
  • Garden 094.jpg

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#2 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 11:16 PM

They're good tractors, live pto, the TA's aren't that bad to deal with, we have a 606 utility that would have the same mechanical TA and sits more than it gets used and we don't have any problems, just a word of caution, do not pull the TA back on a hill on that tractor or any other tractor with a mechanical TA(later ones were hydraulic) they freewheel with the TA in low.

• BTS said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 01:12 AM

Think should be cheaper. Old common tractors don't have big prices. Think little more modern with 3pt and features might be better. A later Ford or Deere say, or even IH a little newer. Would buy with loa Der on one, if you need that.
  • BTS said thank you

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:13 AM

I have to agree with glgrumpy - if you need a 3pt. and loader you'll probably be better off finding one already equipped.

• BTS said thank you

#5 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:38 AM

I don't have the money for a more modern tractor, converting to 3-pt would be easy because I would just use a SpeeCo quick and ad a top link which would be easy. I already have a SpeeCo quick hitch for my Kubota and I love it, all of my cultivators and attachments are already converted for quick hitch.

A tractor like this 400 with a loader will bring the price up to $5000, I can't afford to buy one with a loader, I already have a real nice loader that has quick attach bucket, forks and scaffolding. I would rebuild the loader mounts and I would make the loader quick attach while I was at it.

• ducky and Alc have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Too bad you didn't live closer , a little smaller too .

http://allentown.cra...5691824111.html

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Too bad you didn't live closer , a little smaller too .

http://allentown.cra...5691824111.html

That is nice!, but I am looking for a row crop for cultivating corn and potatoes. There are quite a few utility tractors around here, if I was needing a utility there would only be row crop around :wallbanging:  lol

I want to get the 400 but I am just needing the $$$$, I was hoping to sell my bus faster but I haven't had much luck. The guy who has the 400 is going to list it this weekend on craigslist if I don't have the money :oh_shucks:

• Alc said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:54 AM

I'd be on that right like Flys on stink!!! Those are awesome rigs and easy to work on too.
  • BTS said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:44 PM

400 is a good tractor. If you can find 2 point implements to do the jobs you need it for I would not even opt for 3 point.

Being able to back into the spears lift and go could be a timesaver.

Having to get off, hook arms and top link can be a pain at times,

They have been around long enough implements for 2 point should be easy to find and old enough to not be unreasonably valuable,

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 21, 2016 - 07:49 PM.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 10:53 PM

I spent quite a bit of time on a 300 and liked it. Can't see any reason why the 400 wouldn't be a good tractor also. 

• BTS said thank you

#11 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Still need to sell my bus so I have the $$$$, I found a 1975 John Deere 830 Generation II that is the same price as the Farmall 400.

It is a little smaller but it has a 3 cylinder diesel engine that puts out 40hp with 35hp on PTO and 30hp on draw bar. It has 4 new tires, runs and drives. This has steering assist and 3-pt. Although my loader will be to big to fit on it, but I can try and cut it up to get it on there.

This John Deere has what they call Collar Shift ??? any one have this on any of their tractors? I read up on it some but I'm still not sure what it is, I read that the gears don't slide, but some collar moves instead??? They also talked about shifting on the go, but I don't know if you need the clutch to shift gears or not?

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 830 2.PNG
  • John Deere 830.PNG

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:40 PM

Boy you better check the hydraulic oil on the deere! If the brakes go bad it contaminates the oil and destroys the entire hydraulic system.
Nope not on my property... red, orange or blue only NO GREEN !
  • Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 10:09 PM

The backhoe is on a 350 utility frame. 1957, if I remember correctly.
The TA gets no love at all, wouldn't know the first thing about it if it went bad. It is flawless, but as mentioned, will freewheel if in high.
  • BTS said thank you

#14 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Boy you better check the hydraulic oil on the deere! If the brakes go bad it contaminates the oil and destroys the entire hydraulic system.
Nope not on my property... red, orange or blue only NO GREEN !

I'm not a huge fan of John Deere, I never like their old 2 cylinder tractors because they always seemed under powered, at a tractor pull they never would even spin the tires they just pulled down and died. Their newer tractors seem expensive for what they are and I have heard they have a lot of problems.

Somehow (not liking john deere that much) I ended up with a JD disk, manure spreader (both from the 50's), seed drill and a combine. Now I'm looking at a JD tractor which wold mean everything for my little farm would be JD, that along is enough for me not to buy it :(.

I'll check the fluid when I go look at it, thanks for the info

Edited by BTS, July 23, 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#15 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Collar shift is just what it says.  The gears are fixed on the transmission shafts and they have a "dog" or teeth on them and then you have a "collar" that is attached to the shifting forks with teeth or "dogs" on it as well and it moves and engages with the teeth on the gears.  I am not sure but an 830 3 cylinder may have a sleeve deck engine in it and I have never head anything good about them.

• BTS said thank you