• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi all this PK is list here in MN about 150 miles from me I called and talked with the seller this morning, he has not used it in 5 / 6 yrs he say it has 16" rear wheel a 60" deck engine ran good and strong rear tires hold air good but fronts have gone down after sitting this long hood and body are all good has been inside all its life, now the bad the clutch is slipping some and he replaced it once some time ago.

I told him that the clutches are the weak part and can be pretty spendy to replace so he said to make him and offer but I don't know what to offer not knowing much about these models What do you all think here's the ad he knows he's not going to get the asking price.

http://minneapolis.c...5678135924.html

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 1,096 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Id be in the 450 range myself.

Parts + a tube or 2, and labor will be a good chunk of change if you were to take it in for repairs.

I personally havent done a clutch on one of these, but Im almost certain there is nothing easy peasy, lickty split time wise about it. Good luck;)
  • MNGB said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:07 PM

Probably a lot more wrong than the clutch if it has been sitting that long.  Can figure on a battery, carb kit, ignition parts, fuel lines, tube or new front tires, etc.  I figure on all of this + when I buy a dead one.  About 1/3rd the asking price would be my guess but I am not into PK tractors so what do I know.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:35 PM

The clutch costs over half what he's asking, then you throw in the KT17 engine and you have the worst of all worlds.  Personally, I wouldn't touch it.  Life is too short.

• MNGB said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Well.....that IS one pretty nice looker for sure!  Those are good looking tractors. Does it have the KT17 as in model number?  Not known to be good engines you know. Many have blown rods, still run on other cylinder, had one like that. Hole in block on it!  The trans is a 4spd, mounted right on rear, then the clutch pack goes right on it in front, long shaft from engine off the flywheel side. SO, I once took an early model engine/trans set-up and engine ran backwards then, so had to flip the center section on the rear, which worked. BUT, these had center steer, so had to make it offset steer like the early ones, flipping front axle to get linkage right, and moved pedals also with linkage all to one side for a 2 seat butt buggy. Made big hole in dash for extended shifter to poke thru. I was working on it to make it a hydro and didn't find things I wanted, so gave up. I now have a hydro chassis and could make fit older one, but why bother.  Those clutch paks had some improvements, thicker discs, heavier metal main plate and best to buy as an assembly to change over. About $600 last heard from Mission Manufaturing in S. Indiana.  THEN, that four speed many times has the main shaft bearings go out and if not fixed, takes out other things and leaks oil into clutch and that messes them up, and also the throw-out bearing system built into the trans case wears down the case itself, and very hard to get out and no fix for the worn metals. I was once going to try a thrust bearing in one I had to build up the metal again and add bearing advantage, but never got that far. I sold a few parts trans/clutches and other items all with last "85 year model like this one that I had. Tired of trying to engineer a fix. That one had huge tires like 31" x  15" wide and was shame to let go, but what else you gonna do with them?  This one has smaller stock size tires. SO, unless you want to spend lots of money and time on making nice, would not be a deal.  IF you like these as I do, think I would have to buy for say $500 tops, just cause it is so nice of one. Could sit in garage, just to look at, ha!  Go to Yahoogroups.com and Power King site and even here and look thru the guys fixing these models. Lots of stories there. ONCE it became Hydro, was very much nicer tractor, but by then, image was hurt. Also if you see the smaller 1200 series, they had same drive or the hydro much earlier, say 82 or so and those in hydro are not too bad a tractor. Smaller, but still not REAL small, 12" wheels and such.  Three point hitches were made for all these, but harder to find those if not on them, and are specific.  Well, there you go, no real help, but just beware it will be long project, and not much used that isn't the same condition out there to buy.  I now have a few later model hydros, they have the three-piece hoods and more updates. Those would be much better buy than any of the earlier gear drives. Larry Goss has those thumb drives and all these tractors and parts are on them to see and all the manuals. YOu might have that drive???  Or, get one for only $10 and look around in it. Takes awhile to figure out what to click on, but you get the idea after being into it awhile.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:39 PM

GLGrumpy can tell you the details, he seems to be our forum expert on the plastic kings.

EDIT- GL posted right before me  LOL

Edited by TAHOE, July 18, 2016 - 01:41 PM.

• MNGB said thank you

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 01:46 PM

A nearby tractor dealer has one in hydro with deck, 3 pt and a front blade, he's asking $5200.00! Real nice $1500 tractor though.
  • MNGB said thank you

#8 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Unless you needed the parts to keep another one like it running and at that $300-400.

I sure wouldn't buy this one to "learn" about plastic-king's and hope to make a good tractor to use!

Chuck

• MNGB said thank you

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Ethanol gas starts to go bad in 3-4 months without stabilizer so expect the entire fuel system to need tore apart and rebuilt for starters.

$1000 is awfully high for Any non running garden tractor even if it is complete and in very good cosmetic condition.

No way I would pay more than what I'm comfortable paying for a Non Runner.In my case I'm kinda a cheap arse  :rolling:  so $300-$400 tops.

• MNGB said thank you

#10 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi all, a big thanks for the replies, I am pretty much thinking all of the above that has been posted. I was thinking $350.00 max yes I have Larry's thumb drive and I asked about that clutch setup a few months ago over on the Yahoo group and what I got out of it is if the clutch is slipping change it out complete with new trying to fix / repair is a losing battle doesn't seem to work out. I haven't called Mission but I think the price of a new clutch is getting close to $600 to $700.00 now. Thanks gl I had heard about the clutch problem can progress to the tranny so that's another thing to consider and since its already had a clutch replaced it could for tell that problem

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Ethanol gas starts to go bad in 3-4 months without stabilizer so expect the entire fuel system to need tore apart and rebuilt for starters.

$1000 is awfully high for Any non running garden tractor even if it is complete and in very good cosmetic condition.

No way I would pay more than what I'm comfortable paying for a Non Runner.In my case I'm kinda a cheap arse  :rolling:  so $300-$400 tops.

Not as cheap as me. Non-running is maybe a $100. And that will depend on if the tires hold air and the paint is good!

• MNGB said thank you

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 06:27 PM

$100 ???  Heck, I would be over there buying it for that kinda money,ha! :smilewink:

• MNGB said thank you

#13 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hi all, just so I would know I asked Mission what a replacement clutch would cost, just the clutch (new) $681.04 with the snubber brake kit $741.04, as much as I like the looks of the plastic King I'll wait for something else.

I did ask the seller about the engine and he says it has an oil filter so that should make it a series II engine which I believe is a fair to good engine until you need parts.

Edited by MNGB, July 19, 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:23 PM

I just picked up a 1212 plastik king. The clutch slips a little so I guess when it dies, I will figure out how to make it a franken hydro. Maybe put a peerless in it and make it hand control. I do like the tractor but I am only using it for mowing duties.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks