• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 282 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:32 PM

i have to change the oil seal in my hydro trak super 12 axle tube., has anyone done this? do i need to know of any problems i might run in to?

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 10:49 AM

If you have a leak from the top , its an easy fix. The parts diagram is a little confusing so I'll explain the process.

First thing to do is to remove the access panel located above the transmission if front of the seat. After you remove the panel you will see the linkage for the hydro transmission. You will have to remove the cotter pin and then the press pin. in order to get the linkage off. Its a bit tricky do to space, but a pair of vise grips to hold it firmly and you twist it out will do, I also tapped lighty with a hammer on the vise grips as I rocked the pin back and forth (this is the hardest part). Once that press pin is out just slide your linkage off and you will see a small plate held on with 3 flat head screws. make sure to use a large driver and push firmly against the screws they are tight I needed a twist assist by using my vise grips on the driver. (hate doing that it mucks up my driver). Now that you got the cover off you will see two o-rings one is a shaft seal and the other is the plate seal. The larger o-ring for the plate must fit into inner circle of the aluminum shim that you will see under the mounting plate. The smaller one for the shaft  has to fit firmly on the shaft and inside an inner ring on the bottom of the mounting plate. 

20160718_101451.jpg

Mounting plate and shim o-ring location

20160718_101520.jpg

This is the bottom of the assembly as it would attach to the tractor notice the shim holds the o-ring in place.

20160718_102437.jpg

Shown aluminum shim and o-ring , install these two  like this and use grease to hold things in place.

20160718_102455.jpg

Make sure to clean the surface area for a good seal

Installation notes:

Install top 3 screws evenly so that you compress the larger o-ring a little bit at a time. Lube o-rings and shafts with grease to aid assembly and avoid tearing your o-rings. 

20160718_113129.jpg

No more deck mess 

Edited by John Arsenault, July 18, 2016 - 10:51 AM.

• Alc and Xrperry have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 06:44 PM

i have to change the oil seal in my hydro trak super 12 axle tube., has anyone done this? do i need to know of any problems i might run in to?

Correct me if I am wrong but if your leaking from the axle tube then your not leaking transmission fluid your leaking gear oil. I think the gear box and the Transmission on these are separate. I been looking for other places that can leak transmission fluid and besides the vent and the top of the linkage that I repaired today I don't see any other places these things will leak.

I am giddy at the design of these its so simple and well built 

• Xrperry said thank you

#4 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 282 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 07:36 PM

your right john, 2 seperate parts.im leaking gear oil out of the axle dripping on inside of rim, 

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:51 AM

One good thing is that searspartsdirect has lots of parts for the drive assembly 

http://www.searspart...7569/00010.html

• Xrperry said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Looks like they have some parts. Wish the pic was a better one.

I looked in the manuals section and this manual has the same pic in it!

Edited by KennyP, July 19, 2016 - 07:12 AM.

• Xrperry said thank you

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:22 AM

Looks like they have some parts. Wish the pic was a better one.

I looked in the manuals section and this manual has the same pic in it!

Thats the only thing about these sears is the parts breakdown and diagrams bite. 

I took a look at mine and it looks like an easy job, I just wish I could see things on the illustrations better it would help me when ordering parts. 

Thats the reason I wanted to document my repair because when I looked into I could not find any information fixing a transmission fluid leak. Turned out to be an easier job then i thought.

This time I cleaned my hands to use the camera so that I could help someone that has the same problem. 

• KennyP and Xrperry have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for doing that! Someone somewhere will be very happy you did take pics!

• Xrperry said thank you