10 replies to this topic

#1 GravelyB OFFLINE  

GravelyB
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 83953
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hello, I have always loved gravely walk behind's and so I decided to start restoring a Gravely L I had sitting. I have encountered some interesting things with this tractor and would like to share and see if I could get any answers. First off when I started I wanted to know the tractors year. I got the serial number from above the fuel tank and it was M603 I tried to look it u but all of the serial numbers were longer than that so I looked at another L I have and it has a longer standard serial. The second thing I discovered is the hood is galvanized I have never seen this before on a gravely so I assumed someone made it but after closer inspection it looks exactly like any other L hood other than the galvanization. The third thing I was the cooling fan. It was a 4 bladed steel fan but the blades are thinner than an L8 fan. Does anyone have any idea why this tractor has these odd features or know the year? Thanks. 

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:14 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• GravelyB said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:44 PM

M603  falls in the 1955 year,   very early one with an "M" prefix.  5 horsepower with the spark plug straight up. 

I have no idea on the hood.

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Some L's had galvanized hoods. I don't know the years or the reason for it, though.

#5 GravelyB OFFLINE  

GravelyB
  • GTt Junior
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:30 PM

M603  falls in the 1955 year,   very early one with an "M" prefix.  5 horsepower with the spark plug straight up. 

I have no idea on the hood.

My spark plug is the angled version but thanks for the info! I just painted the hood today Ill post a picture of it when it is finished if your interested

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 GravelyB OFFLINE  

GravelyB
  • GTt Junior
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:34 PM

I was planning on getting a 40 inch finish mower and using the machine for mowing would the 5hp engine handle a 40 inch mower? 

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Many heads were changes to the angled plug to gain horsepower over the years but there is no way of knowing.  Even if the tractor was one owner and the original owner was still alive they probably wouldn't remember having it changed due to malfunction or to gain the power.  Too many years have went by. 

My 7.6 horse wouldn't run a 40 inch commercial mower so I bought a Kohler powered Commercial 10A tractor.  I suppose if you mow every week it could work.  I like to mow when its too big for a regular mower.  That's when a Gravely really proves its worth.  :worshippy1:

• DougT, Alc and GravelyB have said thanks

#8 GravelyB OFFLINE  

GravelyB
  • GTt Junior
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Many heads were changes to the angled plug to gain horsepower over the years but there is no way of knowing.  Even if the tractor was one owner and the original owner was still alive they probably wouldn't remember having it changed due to malfunction or to gain the power.  Too many years have went by. 

My 7.6 horse wouldn't run a 40 inch commercial mower so I bought a Kohler powered Commercial 10A tractor.  I suppose if you mow every week it could work.  I like to mow when its too big for a regular mower.  That's when a Gravely really proves its worth.  :worshippy1:

The head has defiantly been off at some point. Ill probably just put the real-mower attachment on the L since the 40 inch is even a bit much for the L8

#9 GravelyB OFFLINE  

GravelyB
  • GTt Junior
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a L8 cylinder on an L block? Thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 06:18 AM

You might find something in here to help.

#11 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 12:44 PM

I'm sorry to say this but the head information you got earlier is backwards. The 5.5 and 6.6 hp gravelys had angled plugs, the 7.6 had the straight up and down plug. Most of the gravely Tee head engine parts are interchangeable. You might as well swap the head too. The 7.6 head did away with weak areas in previous versions.