12 replies to this topic

#1 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:55 PM

I picked up a MF 12G while in Portland Or last weekend, was looking for a lawn mower to mow the lots next to my landladys house. paid 75.00 and drove it onto the pickup.

1. the key will not start it. have to jump across on the terminals.
2. when engaging the mow deck it has to be done slowly, tho dose seem better after greasing the bearing casings. it dose spin up better. but needs to be slow or the engine dies.

3. when the engine starts to die, depressing the clutch, and retarding the throttle will keep it running.

4. wont mow much or far with out the motor dieing.

I am new to this area, was glad to see that they are collectable and have a following. I had bought it because it was a good price and well built,, plan on using it in the garden also. can anyone help, guide me to resolve these issues. I do plan on tearing down and rebuilding/restore this winter

Garry

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:52 PM

:wave: Justpics Welcome to GTTalk! I don't know much about the 12G Masseys, but there are a lot of folks on here who do and I'm sure that they'll be along shortly. From what I understand, the 12 G's are a superb machine, built to last with plenty of power and available attachments. I think you made a great deal for $75! Hope that you get it going soon!

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like money well spent, and I would look into cleaning the carb if it has sat for any length of time. And my recommendation to clean the carb of a running engine like yours is go to Walmart and buy "Gumout - Entire Fuel System Cleaner" and dump a little in the gas tank, it does wonders. I usually just let the tractor sit and idle for the first 15-20 minutes after dumping the Gumout in for the first time. If that doesn't fix it there are more solutions, just tougher.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:25 PM

justpics,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:26 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk!

Yes, you got a good deal. Maybe better than good.
I do believe there are going to several minor maint. adjustments and possibly a carb rebuild in your future... but Casey has the best first step. Try some carb cleaners and also look around here a little bit to read up on the effects of ethanol in the new gas and also the benifits of SeaFoam for continued long term reduced troubles.

When you get the chance, there is a service manual that will be invaluable. It can be found in the manuals section under Massey Ferguson. Good luck with your new GT, and if you have pics, please post them.

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:15 PM

:welcometogttalk::tractor_rocks: They are a real nice machine, good tune up should get ya going, carb clean, sparkplug and filters. Shawn

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Justpics, welcome to the best forum going. I agree with all that has been said and hope your new tractor gives you many hours of service. There are lots of folks with knowledge of your 12G.

#8 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice, I enjoy working on things so this will be fun. the local MF dealer was very helpful printed about 50 pages of part diagrams for free. was told to check the compression as if it is low that could be one of the problems. looks like the ignition switch is shot, so will replace that tomorrow.

pictures will be coming.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 11:25 PM

Sounds great, good luck with it. I had a shot ignition switch on one of my tractors, still rewiring the whole tractor but that's a scope creep problem lol.

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Welcome Justpics. Glad you are here

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Make sure you get the right Ign switch for it. You need a mag style, not powered. If you put the wrong one on, you could kill a very expensive part on the ignition system. May want to go back to the nice dealer for that one, unless someone here knows of a generic drop in?
:anyone:

#12 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Keep in mind that if you take a compression test using the plug hole the engine has a decompression valve that doesn't kick out until about 2000 rpm, so it will not show true compression when cranking the engine. May only show between 50 and 60 psi.

#13 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Wecome Justpics, all good advice and yes take the time to hit everything with your greasegun and fully tune your motor according to th service manual, checking all your gaps.