11 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Have a 1256 with a Sears Roto Spade I picked up a couple weeks ago.  Both are running good but haven't tried the Roto Spade yet.  Problem is trying to turn with the tiller hanging on the back end.  Only mounting I can see as usable is the two ears on the front axle for blade, etc. mounting.  I have a old 75 lb cast iron weight that has a couple holes through it near center I would like to use but how can it be hung solid on the frame and not the hood?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:04 AM

What you really need is the front set of wheel weights , that would solve the issue

I'll let you know if I see anything for sale

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,150 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:01 AM

You could make a frame work that pins into the two front axle holes and forms a "U" around the front axle to keep it from rolling and then extend two arms out the front with a cross bar to join the arms and hang the weight from - just a suggestion

Attached Thumbnails

• Weight Bar.jpg

• DH1, LPBolens, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Definately don't hang off the hood, not much holding those on as is.  I also would not use what is called the "Bolster" that the axle passes thru. Many are cast and break often, hard to find/replace. I like the idea of hanging off the axle mounts long as you can keep it from tipping then, which if I'm reading plan here right is taken care of by metals on each side?? 

• chieffan said thank you

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I was looking at pictures of Old Cowhands plow days and saw a very interesting setup on an AC. It was a front weight that was attached to a set of pivot points at the front of the tractor ( similar to the ears on the tube frame axle). It had a rod going back to the lift handle so that it acted as a lift assist as well. I plan on building something similar with a piece of I-beam to counter balance heavy implements on the back (tiller, plow etc), as well as make them easier to lift. I would guess that your 1256 has hydraulic lift though. so you probably don't need the lift assist.

Jim

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 10:20 AM

I just had another thought. Does your tractor have the pins on the frame that the deck would hang off of? You could attach the weight to the axle, then run a rod or piece of flat bar from the top of the weight back to one of the the deck mount pins. EDIT: sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, July 17, 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:10 AM

You could make a frame work that pins into the two front axle holes and forms a "U" around the front axle to keep it from rolling and then extend two arms out the front with a cross bar to join the arms and hang the weight from - just a suggestion

I was thinking along those lines too but wasn't sure those tabs would handle a jolt if a hole or bump was found with the front wheel?

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:21 AM

I just had another thought. Does your tractor have the pins on the frame that the deck would hang off of? You could attach the weight to the axle, then run a rod or piece of flat bar from the top of the weight back to one of the the deck mount pins. EDIT: sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I don't think mine has the hanger pins as no PTO on it.  If they are not there can use the holes for the brace back from the front.  I like that idea as the weight is long enough to carry on both side out front. 
This is the weight I am dealing with.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Weight.JPG

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:22 AM

What you really need is the front set of wheel weights , that would solve the issue

I'll let you know if I see anything for sale

Thanks Brian.  That would be nice but the cost of the weights and then shipping - might get kind of pricey.

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,150 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 02:13 PM

I was thinking along those lines too but wasn't sure those tabs would handle a jolt if a hole or bump was found with the front wheel?

Wouldn't think it would be any harder on the tabs than a snow caster or blade being pushed or banged into a frozen snow bank or concrete side walk or driving with the snow caster or blade lifted and driving in a higher gear to go from laneway to laneway in my opinion as long as the operator used common sense.  The biggest thing would be to limit any travel so the frame work could not rock back and forth on the front axle - this would keep the weight stationary so it did not add any undue stresses.  You could use a bolt or threaded rod and coupling nut set up with a jam nut to snug up the frame work against the axle (similar to the way a sleeve hitch attachment is locked) once the pins were in place to prevent much movement and round 1/2" rod up the front and back covered with 1/2" heater hose to form the "U" pieces against the axle - the hose would prevent marking the paint and give a cushion to any movement - again just a suggestion.

• LPBolens and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Sounds like a good idea.  May get the tractor up to the shop tomorrow and work on it.  The weight would be mounted solid to a framework.  Don't really want it loose hanging and moving around up front.   Will let you know how it turns out.  thanks much for all the advise and good tips.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#12 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Try on ebay to find a front plow mount or snowcaster mount. It's the base that the plow or the snowcaster sits on. Just attach it the normal way with pins and then put your weight on the mount instead of the plow or snowcaster.

• 29 Chev said thank you