Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs 14hp carb swap seeking input (261777)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • Member No: 83753
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 08:47 PM

So i picked up a briggs OHV 14 hp single that seems really tight and would be great to repower something BUT it has the dreaded surge at high speed with no load and the idle rough.
I've cleaned the carb thoroughly but alas no change.
A new carb is over $160 and even a rebuild kit , which may not resolve the issue, is over $60 which has me thinking about swapping something for this tired old mikuni.

Has anyone swapped a different carb onto this engine successfully and if so what did you use ?
I have a little toy milling machine, 110v mig and am OK at 1/2 a**ed fabrication so making an adapter plate and bending new linkages doesn't scare me but if I could find something with the same distance between studs that would be a real bonus.
Of course then there is the air cleaner to deal with....
On this engine the carb bolts directly to the block whereas later ohv 16'ish HP briggs had a short intake manifold.
On this engine the air cleaner bolts to a cast aluminum unit which is placed on the studs after the carb but I'm certainly not adverse to a bit of rigging.
This isn't a restoration so looking a bit non stock is fine I just can't bring myself to junk an otherwise perfectly good engine nor spend $160+ on a carb for my $30 engine.

I greatly appreciate any advice.

Brian

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:37 AM

I guess you could find something to work but then like you said lots of mods to do.

I'f your sure its the carb $160 is not bad at all my list for that would be $179.89.  Especially when your only in the engine $30

As the old saying goes engines dont run for free :poke:

• bgroves said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:02 AM

so then,  this is a single cyl Vanguard?  It sounds like the one that I put onto my Swisher trailmower.

Yeah I bought that overpriced  $60+ kit for the Mikuni on mine, fortunately that was all this one took to get it to run right, it too did the same as yours when I 1st started it up...(actually somehow $86 sticks in my mind for that kit, that may have been with the new air filter too,  though it has been over a year ago since I bought those parts) I know that I got mine from Pat's small engine, a mail order place in Minnesota.

I know that mine sat for at least 5 years, if not longer before I got it, and 2 years since I have had it. I kitted mine last year and ran it just long enough to warm it up good once, right afterwards, with gas that was treated with Sta Bil/ in case any fuel residue was left behind.   then I shut the valve off at the tank, ran it til it died from lack of fuel, and pulled the drain screw from the corner of the bowl. 

there is very little in that kit, for what it costs, too! Considering that, I make sure to shut the valve off and run it out of fuel every time that I run it.

I have mostly seen Mikuni on motorcycles, I wonder if you could cross that Briggs number and do better on the kit or a new carb from a motorcycle parts place?  Just like the old Walbro's on Tecumseh engines, it was always much cheaper to go directly to Walbro for those parts.

does yours have direct engine mounted choke and throttle controls? Mine don't; and I hunted all over to find what I'd need to convert to that setup, came up empty so I had to fab up a control panel to mount remote throttle and choke controls, my throttle cable is all of about 4" long now.... that throttle slide will not stay at full throttle by itself for more than about 1/2 a second by itself...

seems like a strong engine, runs quite smooth and really starts easy, once the carb gets gas again it's about 1/2 a spin off the starter, to running... this is my 1st Vanguard. From what I hear,  they are supposed to be one of the better lines of "newer" Briggs engines.

Edited by dodge trucker, July 17, 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• bgroves said thank you

#4 bgroves OFFLINE  

bgroves
  • Member No: 83753
  • 4 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Yes it has the trottle/auto choke controls on the engine.

I found a clone of the niki for of all things a 13 HP Tecumseh for cheap (the one with the plastic bowl held by a bail) I think I'll see if the mounting holes are the right width.

I have also considered a carb off a newer briggs of around the same hp and adapt it as they seem to be cheaper and more readily available.

If I end up making a mount I may try a 13 HP Honda clone carb as I've not had any problems with the chineese carb's on my predators.

Thanks,

Brian

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 12:59 PM

You might try taking the carb you have apart (be careful not to cut any o rings or gaskets as it comes apart, I and blow out any passages that you can possibly see with some aerosol carb cleaner and put it back together again, and see what happens.

I don't remember why at the time but while I was working on my trail mower I bought one of those 13hp Tecumseh engines with the plastic bowl on it and it surged like you described above I wound up buying a new bowl ass'y for it and now that one runs awesome, I have less into that engine than I have in the carb on the Briggs
I couldn't use the Tecumseh because of how the exhaust comes out the bottom of the cylinder and the lack of a fuel pump so it sits waiting for a machine that I can use it on.