Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

The "half of a1958 junkyard Economy tractor" will live again...Johnny Cash style.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Earlyhemirod OFFLINE  

Earlyhemirod
  • Member No: 77608
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Well done, Isn`t amazing what can be done with some old junkyard parts elbow grease and determination.

• classic said thank you

#62 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,944 Thanks
  • 2,172 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 12:43 AM

Thanks! It's been a fun project and it's just about completed. I finished the wiring, throttle mount, and the choke and throttle are both hooked up. It starts right up and the battery is charging just fine. This is my first PK and the first anything that I've completely gone through. I can't call it a restoration, since I used parts from different year PK'S, other tractors, and changed some things. It's about ready for it's second oil change since the engine rebuild, and no leaks or problems anywhere on the tractor. I like the feel of the tractor and it feels and sounds like a new machine. It was a ton of work, but well worth it to me to build it. I still have some things to wrap up, but work has been real busy. I should have the battery mount and hood completed over the weekend, then I have to finish up the rear fenders, the lift/hitch assembly, and finish restoring the headlights that I got from member username. I'll post some more pics as soon as I get more things completed. These are the lights I've been working on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160819_144807-1.jpg

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#63 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hey classic looks like your getting close now those lights looks good, I like those type of light assemblies, yea maybe can't call it a restoration but it is a tractor build and a fine looking one that will be good working tractor your going to like it the more you use it.

• classic said thank you

#64 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,944 Thanks
  • 2,172 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 11:09 PM

Thanks GB. I'm a big fan of PK'S after running this one around a bit. The gearing seems just right in all gears, it's light on the steering, and it digs in well when climbing. I mounted the seat in a comfortable spot, so no complaints there. I just hope I don't have to hold both brake levers on, then shift into reverse with the clutch depressed to back away from the edge of a ditch. I'll be shifting with my right foot if that happens. Brake pedals would be better on this hilly driveway that I will be plowing this winter.
  • MNGB said thank you

#65 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,836 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Yea the brake set up doesn't look real handy especially is situations you just described, the good thing is the PK's if they have traction seem to just pull on but with out wts and ballast they lose traction easily. Are going to put a blade on it for plowing snow or look for a snowblower? They really can push a lot of snow with a blade.

• KennyP and classic have said thanks

#66 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,944 Thanks
  • 2,172 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 08:31 AM

I have the front blade for it GB. I'll be installing tire chains and most likely adding a weight box to the back. I don't want to have to load the tires unless it becomes necessary, but I think a weight box will do.
  • MNGB said thank you

#67 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,944 Thanks
  • 2,172 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM

So much for getting the hood done this weekend, but I can work on it now since I finished the battery mount. The weather was just to nasty out to get anything done yesterday. I used a large piece of 3/8" angle for the mount, some small angle that I picked up at the hardware store for the tray and hold down, and I used two Briggs air cleaner studs for the hold down bolts. I will change the bolts out once I thread some 1/4" round rod to replace them. It took a good part of the day to fab this up and weld things together, but at least it's done.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161023_163151-1.jpg
  • 20161023_163228-1.jpg

• MNGB said thank you