Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

The "half of a1958 junkyard Economy tractor" will live again...Johnny Cash style.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Well I had to work for two weeks straight and the weather here has been extremely hot and humid. It's not been ideal tractor project weather and I can't get any painting done. I did go pick up the snow plow for the PK and it's in pretty decent shape. It will need sand blasting, paint, a shoe, and a cutting edge. I'll pick up a piece of flat stock when I go to the steel shop to get the steel to make the steering column mount. The plow mounts to the mid 70's frame like I have, but it also came with an adapter to mount to earlier PK's. It kind of threw me off when I first looked at the plow.
I've been spending my free time searching for some of the other needed parts, mainly the electrical system. I found new dash switches, an ammeter, and a pair of old Grote 212 headlights. I didn't have any luck finding a pair of the Do-Ray lights, so I imagine that they are scarce, and the Grotes will have to do for now. I found a seat spring and I'''ll be making a mount for that. I also picked up new front lug nuts, dust caps, and used rear lug bolts from a Case 446. I bought two NOS choke cables that were packaged in 1959 by Lycoming, and they are stamped ARENS 64-032-116. I will make a throttle cable out of one of them. I can't wait for this crappy weather to lift so I can get back to it!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160812_085659-1.jpg

• Username and MNGB have said thanks

#32 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Got the basics done on the chassis and painted it up. The brakes were mangled, so I installed new bands, made new band pivot pins, and replaced the hardware. The front axle has new bearings and bushings and I replaced the wheel bearings and races. The steering is all adjusted, oiled, and greased. I installed new bearings in the transmission and a new bearing in the torque tube to support the driveshaft. I had to make a mount to mount the later seat spring since the later seat spring mounts don't work with the early ford model A rearends. Once the wheels are finished and installed, I can drop the engine in. Still a long way to go, but the hardest part is done.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160924_174005-1.jpg

• Alc, Username and MNGB have said thanks

#33 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi classic that is a pretty tractor good work.

• classic said thank you

#34 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi classic that is a pretty tractor good work.

jim has some awesome talent when it comes to tractor restorations
  • Username and classic have said thanks

#35 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Thanks! This is turning out to be a blast. I just haven't had as much free time to work on this as I would like. I cut a late PK seat bracket into two pieces and welded one of the pieces to the torque tube. I then mounted the other piece to it so that I could use the late PK seat spring. I had to shorten the seat spring a little to make it work. The 50's PK's seat is too low and I'd rather have a conventional seat spring anyway. Here's a pic of my made up steering column mount all finished up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160924_210845.jpg
  • 20160924_211018-1.jpg

Edited by classic, September 24, 2016 - 08:45 PM.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#36 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Well, I blasted and painted the front rims and aired up the tires. One rim is from a Farmall Cub and the other was either on a Bolens Gardner or Hi Boy. Both of the rims were made by Motor Wheel, so at least they are the same. I painted the inside of the rims, mounted the tires, then painted the outsides. The rear rims will take a little more time since I have to weld the centers back in.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160925_122844-1.jpg
  • 20160926_124527-1.jpg
  • 20160926_124613-1.jpg
  • 20160926_144326-1.jpg

• Username and MNGB have said thanks

#37 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 05:47 PM

I finished cleaning up one of the rear Case 444 rims, installed the tire, and painted the rim. I was going to use these rims on my '56 PK, but I'm now planning on restoring that tractor with the original size tires and rims. The offset on the Case rims is wrong for the PK, so I removed the centers and relocated them. It was a lot more work than I anticipated, but it won't take long to finish up the second rim now. I took a PK bull gear housing, axle, and hub, and set it up on saw horses with the hub pointing up. I could then bolt the rim to it and spin it to true it up before welding the rim center in place. I'm using 9.5-16 tires, so the 8" wide Case rim is the perfect width. I positioned the center in the rim so that there is about 3/4" between the brake housing and the rim. I'll raise the rear fenders an inch to make sure tire chains will clear.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160602_113100-1-1.jpg
  • 20160928_125317-1.jpg
  • 20160928_132226-1.jpg
  • 20160928_141705.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#38 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:05 PM

Looking very good classic were the Case rim centers riveted in place?

• classic said thank you

#39 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Thanks MNGB. The centers are spot welded in place. There are two spot welds on each of the four tabs that connect the center to the rim. It was time consuming welding filler pieces in the holes in the rim and then grinding smooth.
  • MNGB said thank you

#40 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 983 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Oh yea I know what your saying but they are turning out really good.

• classic said thank you

#41 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 28, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Thanks! I could have saved a whole lot of time by just buying a new set of rims, but I like the challenge of the little projects on a build like this. Looks like lots of rain in the forecast, so I'm going to take some time to get things organized. It looks like a bomb went off in my shed.
  • MNGB said thank you

#42 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 05:26 PM

No rain today, so I was able to just about finish the second rim. I just have to grind the welds down on the inside of the rim and blast off the old paint. It looks like the engine may be going in this weekend! I never took a PK for a ride, so I'm looking forward to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160929_120933-1.jpg

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#43 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Been a while since I checked up on this thread and love how your piecing all the different parts together....Ya`ll have a lot more parts UP there than we do DOWN here. Luckily mine had pretty much all there...just not in the best of shape.

Just saw you have 2 handles for the rear brakes...is that normal for that year ???

I also saw you mentioned some Mighty Mites....I`ve had my eye on 3 of them at a local boneyard. Anybody fool with them....seem to be complete but never seen one Down Here at all that runs. What are them things worth running ??

I took my first ride on my 2414 a week or 2 ago and it was really funny feeling being that high !  I believe the seat height is higher than my 1500,1520,1720 Fords......and just doing a test mock up drive I can see the need to move my seat closer to the steering wheel too. Feels like I need a seat belt too!!  I`m also going to move my rear rims to the outside position on the centers to give a little wider stance now that I`ve got them painted .

Really enjoying your Build.

• classic said thank you

#44 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thanks SNUFFY, I'm having a good time piecing this tractor together. There always seems to be a few PK's for sale up here within a two hour drive. I've never seen one sitting around or being used in my neighborhood, though. The hand brakes were the basic brakes on early PK's, and the foot brakes would have been optional from what I've read. For my needs, I would prefer foot brakes, so I will probably convert this tractor to foot brakes at some point. I've been reading over your progress as you have been getting things squared away with your tractor. The 24's are a big tire for a tractor this size, but they look great and perform well from what I've seen. I'm hoping to come across one at some point to restore.
As far as the Mighty Mites go, they are great little tractors. The clutch has always been hard to find for them and usually pricey when found. It's also hard to find parts for them if you need anything for the final drives. I've gathered up the needed parts to restore mine, so I will get to it as time permits. I remember your post when you mentioned those Mighty Mites in the bone yard. The longer they sit out in the weather, the harder they will be to restore. Parts for the T96 transmission can be found, but most times they are pricey. Restoring one is really up to you, and in my opinion it would be well worth the effort. If you choose not to, I sure would be interested in some parts off of those tractors if possible.

#45 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 03:58 PM

The Junkyard PK is finally sitting on four wheels now. I spent some time cleaning the shed, so I can prep the engine for paint. I have to clean and paint the hogs head, bell housing, the flywheel, and front engine pulley. I have to install brake lever springs, too. I picked up a couple of spring assortment kits, and two of the springs should work fine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161002_151147-1.jpg
  • 20161002_151555-1.jpg

• KennyP, Username and MNGB have said thanks