10 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 06:56 PM

raise your own sweetcorn when you can buy top quality, home grown, fresh picked sweet corn at $5 for a bakers dozen?  Got our first bunch today and had some for supper. (Yes SUPPER.  Dinner is at noon.)  Sweet, firm and juicy.  We quit trying to raise our own about 4 years ago when we lost the battle and bought some from this young man, selling out of his pickup at one of the busiest intersections in town on the main highway going through, right at a stop light.  When you stop and roll your window down he is headed your way as soon as he knows how many you want.  Won't go back to raising my own again as long as he is around.  It don't get any better than that.

• Gtractor, Traill95, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:11 PM

raise your own sweetcorn when you can buy top quality, home grown, fresh picked sweet corn at $5 for a bakers dozen?  Got our first bunch today and had some for supper. (Yes SUPPER.  Dinner is at noon.)  Sweet, firm and juicy.  We quit trying to raise our own about 4 years ago when we lost the battle and bought some from this young man, selling out of his pickup at one of the busiest intersections in town on the main highway going through, right at a stop light.  When you stop and roll your window down he is headed your way as soon as he knows how many you want.  Won't go back to raising my own again as long as he is around.  It don't get any better than that.

I'm always telling my wife that. It was a painting of the last supper not the last dinner. On the sweet corn note I planted 6 rows of corn twice and the ground squirrels got it both times. I am now buying it from a pickup truck parked up by Casey's.

Edited by Traill95, July 16, 2016 - 07:11 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:17 PM

I can honestly say I've never bought corn that tasted anywhere as close to the flavor as what I've grown, BUT with all the hassles involved in growing, sometimes I ponder not having a garden anymore.  If we had of planted a garden this year, the hale storm we had would have destroyed it.  Then the critters eating all the spoils.  

• MH81, Bmerf, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:28 PM

This is why I like to grow as much as I can

http://permaculturen...om-non-gm-corn/

• Gtractor, Bmerf, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:50 PM

For the same reason we spend a small fortune hunting or fishing when there's better stuff at the corner store for less money and hassle.

• rustyoldjunk, KC9KAS, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 12:25 AM

I buy my sweet corn from a farmer who sells it in the markets parking lot. Same market I buy my butter, cause I ain't making/growing that either. :thumbs:

• chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:24 AM

This is why I like to grow as much as I can

http://permaculturen...om-non-gm-corn/

That is field corn - NOT sweet corn.  Ton of difference.  Daughter-in-law lives in New Hampshire and after eating Iowa corn she said theirs taste like crap.

Edited by chieffan, July 17, 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:25 AM

For the same reason we spend a small fortune hunting or fishing when there's better stuff at the corner store for less money and hassle.

But you better not be able to buy the SAME stuff at the corner store.  That is the difference.  I don't hunt or fish any more.

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:33 AM

That is field corn - NOT sweet corn.  Ton of difference.  Daughter-in-law lives in New Hampshire and after eating Iowa corn she said theirs taste like crap.

Fine you want sweet corn here is your sweet corn. 

http://www.nongmopro...more/sweetcorn/  

I know what is in the corn I grow....well even better I know whats not in mine. 

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:36 AM

I got a friend that is a huge commercial farmer and he won't eat or feed his family the stuff he is contracted to grow. 

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 844 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:46 AM

But you better not be able to buy the SAME stuff at the corner store.  That is the difference.  I don't hunt or fish any more.

With the fish you often can.

Beef instead of venison, store chicken rarely has shot in it.......