• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 99 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:06 PM

So ever since iv had my tractor the front axle will tilt front to back. I can look in and see the giant nut on the frame side is even moving. Looks like some tack welds are broke. What do u think I'm looking at for repairs. I'm going to assume at the point the axle is toast but what about the frame?

Edited by a.graham52, July 17, 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,692 Thanks
  • 1,693 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Your frame and axle should be fine. You need to remove the front axle beam from the tractor and inspect the pivot pin and bearings for wear. It's a good time to flush the old grease out and repack the bearings. If there is not much wear, reassemble and tighten the front axle bolt all the way until it is tight. Then weld the large nut on the inside of the frame back in place. After that, you can slightly loosen the front axle nut so that the axle pivots, and install the Cotter pin.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160716_180725-1.jpg

Edited by classic, July 16, 2016 - 05:37 PM.

• Gtractor and MNGB have said thanks

#3 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 99 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:48 PM

So to get my by I tighten the front nut. I was able to get one more notch out of it for the cotter pin. Tightend up the front a lot but the pivot axle still moves up and down in the frame. Is this what the tack weld is supposed to cure or is it a sign of bearing failure? Without seeing it all apart in my mind it's hard to visualize what's going on.what's messing with me is there is a castle nut and cotter pin on both sides

Edited by a.graham52, July 17, 2016 - 07:50 PM.

• classic said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,692 Thanks
  • 1,693 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 08:57 PM

Think of the pivot pin threaded into the castle nut that is welded to the frame. With the nut welded in place, and the pivot pin tightened into it, there should be no play at all. So, if you had the front axle off of the machine, the pivot pin should be rigid without any play. You should remove the front axle to really see what's going on and it's a simple affair. You really should inspect the bearings and pivot pin for wear and replace if needed. Here is another pic of mine. There are other variations of this set up, too, but they basically work the same way.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160717_213822-1.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,669 Thanks
  • 6,749 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 05:31 AM

The one classic posted seems like a stronger set-up then on mine like he said different  style through the years . On one of mine it had needle bearings that fell apart from wear , the other had a bronze bushing ,  so I found a bronze bushing to use in place of the needle bearings , I couldn't figure out why you would even want needle bearings in a front axle pivot it never rotates more then a little each way  

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,090 Thanks
  • 881 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 11:55 AM

As posted you'll need to drop the axle out and check the pin its self and either the bearing or bushing , replace with new bushings you can get them at ant good bearing supply store they are 1.125" OD and 1" ID they are the same as used in the front spindles when you have the alxe out you might want to check those out and replace at the same time not hard to do. Here's what the spindle bushing replacement looks like the same bushing works for the center pivot.

HPIM2300.JPG HPIM2301.JPG HPIM2302.JPG

• classic said thank you

#7 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 09:14 PM

I posted a how to fix this problem a while ago, but can't find it now. You can get all the bushings you need to fix that front end from Mcmaster Carr in Chicago  about $2 a piece

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#8 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Here it is, and I didn't use flanged bushings      posted Jan 18 2014

http://gardentractor...for-front-axle/

• KennyP and classic have said thanks