Garden Tractor Forums banner

New MTD 990 added to the family!

Tags
16 hp 990 mtd
5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Mark 149 J. 
#1 ·
Found a MTD 990 today on Craigslist. Went out and looked at it. Offered the guy 350 and he excepted. It came with a snow plow. It runs but the starter needs some work and a new ignition switch as well. I only know a little bit about these tractors. If you can tell me anything about this tractor please let me know I would love to hear about it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle
Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt Font Tints and shades
Automotive tire Bumper Grille Automotive exterior Gas
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice score!
They're hard to find around here so I thought it was a good score and the condition is actually pretty good shape much better than my Cub 149.

Reactions: boyscout862
#6 ·
Nice find. It's a later model given it has a starter and no generator. Also, no 3 bolt front wheels. I see you have the rear lift links for the 3 point arms but no lift arms. They're not that complicated if you want to make a set. Looks in good shape. Check the frame on the left side behind the rear wheel for cracks. There's a hole there and the frame likes to crack on a thin spot.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Nice find. It's a later model given it has a starter and no generator. Also, no 3 bolt front wheels. I see you have the rear lift links for the 3 point arms but no lift arms. They're not that complicated if you want to make a set. Looks in good shape. Check the frame on the left side behind the rear wheel for cracks. There's a hole there and the frame likes to crack on a thin spot.

Eric

Thanks!

I'll check for the cracks like you suggested.

Do you know what year this would be?

#10 ·
What a nice GT! One of these days I will find one myself, pretty rare in these parts though.
I never thought I would be lucky to buy one either because they are rare in this area as well. I spend several times throughout the day looking on Craigslist hoping to find something. I just lucked out this time.

#11 ·

Eric

I've seen 3 bolt hubs used on these and the gear drives up to 78-79, but not always, as for the hole in the frame , that went away in 75'

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks like a 1980 by the model number on the sticker. Nice find and a good price.

The starter cover is missing on the fan shroud. Starter and ignition switch are available using the part numbers in the manual.

The MTD snow plow uses the mower deck lift carriage but it looks to be removed. The plow also uses two heavy guide brackets that bolt to the front.

#13 ·
Looks like a 1980 by the model number on the sticker. Nice find and a good price.

The starter cover is missing on the fan shroud. Starter and ignition switch are available using the part numbers in the manual.

The MTD snow plow uses the mower deck lift carriage but it looks to be removed. The plow also uses two heavy guide brackets that bolt to the front.
Thanks for that great information!

I will have to see if I can track down the mower lift carriage along with the draw arms for the 3 point because I would like to use the plow. I've looked on ebay for hitch parts but found nothing. Any suggestions on where I might find them other than finding a parts tractor?

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some more pictures of the tractor. I was finally able to get it home today. The owner also had a pair of tire chains that he threw in. I've included pictures of the engine ID number.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive parking light Road surface
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Bumper Gas
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Street light Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Gas Publication

Attachments

#17 ·
Based upon the engine Code number of 8002141

80 =1980

02 = Month Feb.

14 = Day

1 = assembly plant

What plant is number 1?

This engine appears to be the original engine for this tractor.

I'm I reading this correctly?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the id number off the front snow blade.

Road surface Font Tree Asphalt Plant

Is it suppose to have a bend in the middle of center support?

Street light Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas

Attachments

#20 ·
You have a 1986 snow plow used on the 1986 White Yard Boss adapted to the 1980 990. Interesting.

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
#21 ·
You have a 1986 snow plow used on the 1986 White Yard Boss adapted to the 1980 990. Interesting.
The yard boss and the 990 are the same tractor other than body panels correct?

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
The White Yard boss stopped using the 990 style in 78' , the long frame or what MTD called the 995 was used from 79 on. There were no true White yard boss after 82 or so, Allied sold the name to MTD and the disposable tractor was born

#23 ·
The 995 and the 990 are different but both are good garden tractors.

#24 ·
The White Yard boss stopped using the 990 style in 78' , the long frame or what MTD called the 995 was used from 79 on. There were no true White yard boss after 82 or so, Allied sold the name to MTD and the disposable tractor was born
The 995 and the 990 are different but both are good garden tractors.
Thanks for the information.

What are the major difference between the 990 and 995?

I also know of a 50" mower deck that has all new spindles installed for $200. It looks like the quick attachment style because it has 2 hooks in the front and 2 in the rear. I've heard that these deck don't cut very good. Is this true?

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I use the 50" deck to cut my back field. I would say it is not the best cutting deck I have used. The tractor's large turning radius does not help either. These days if you can get a good rebuilt deck for $200, that would be a good find. Most are nearly destroyed.

The roller shaft on the rear bends easily. I replaced it with two adjustable 5" caster wheels using the adjustable brackets from the roller. The side skid bars tend to dig in too.

The 995 tractor has a twin cylinder engine, the under and front spline shaft PTO are one shaft. Motion control is on the left side. Dash tower is different. Lift carriage and height adjustment is different. Really, the only thing similar are the transaxle, hydraulic system and wheels and tires.

You can download the 995 manual in the manuals section at the top of the forum to compare it.

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.