Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 02:44 PM

Let us play our game.  

I have no problem with people who want to play the game.

I find it amazing the jeopardy that some players put themselves into.

Two days ago, a girl called 911 to rescue her.  ...She climbed a tree chasing a Pokémon character, but couldn't get down by herself.

Let's not forget those who get robbed by responding to a search, or the brain-dead who walk into traffic while staring at their phones.

I believe this game was actually invented by Darwin !!

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#47 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 03:33 PM

I'm a boomer, will be 64 in a few days, retired now. I played, oh Lord did I play! Baseball, football, high speed off shore boats Z33 Donzi  with twin 540 cu in big block Chevy's to be exact, raced hydroplanes, cars, go karts, built 4x4's, golf carts and now tractors among other things. I also coached girls softball for 10 years, played thousands of video games in my time. Pokemon Go still holds no attraction to me.

Edited by toppop52, July 22, 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#48 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 04:49 PM

It's just a different generations. I have million hobbies and work all the time.

I enjoy different things at different times.

#49 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 05:25 PM

Pedestrians getting hit by cars is no new phenomenon.
According to pedbikeinfo.org,

Pedestrian injuries in 2014: 65,000
Of those 65,000 , 12% [7,800] were pedestrian-car interactions. Of those, 4,884 were fatalities.
Furthermore, we know from research into hospital records that only a fraction of pedestrian crashes that cause injury are ever recorded by the police.

I wouldn't wonder that some of these numbers go up slightly. It may be the game, it may be coincidence and there have been random spikes before.

Again, many of us are not accustom to kids being outside (this includes the kids)
Add to it that they are concentrating on their phones and chasing something that we can't see...
Well, we all need to be a little more aware to keep everyone safe.
If you or a loved one is playing this game, remind yourself or them that while there aren't any cars or cliffs in the virtual reality, there is some real dangers to be wary of.
  • Dane in PA said thank you

#50 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 504 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:37 AM

I think there is a misconception that people are actually in the act of "chasing" these creatures in the game.  In reality, they pop up on a re-skin of Google Maps and stay put.  Most of which have a 10-min spawn cycle where they can be captured, and only spawn within a 50 yard radius of the player --and can be captured from anywhere, as long as they are visible on the screen.  (eg:  I can catch a(n) [Insert generic Pokemon here] from 50 yards away, if it spawned one block away.)  Plenty of time to get wherever you need to get to, safely.

Thats why everyone who plays sees these people and are saying "How the (fill in the blank) does that even happen?"

It's the fault of the idiot, not the gun.

Edited by Dane in PA, July 23, 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#51 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:47 AM

I've messed with it. Neat concept. Caught a few so far.

Now if they came up with an APP like TRACTOR GO!

That would be right up our alley!

• dropped82 and propane1 have said thanks

#52 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 04:15 PM

I grew up with the rise of the video games. I play some Xbox. I even have a smart phone. I don't play the Pokémon game myself. Plus I'm not a fan of people justifying it by saying it gets kids out. You know how I get my kids out? I lock the back door. I had overheard another neighbor saying how she was proud her kids were outside all the time due to this game. To me, that's an admittance of failure to parent, set an example. That's what she needed, really? I like video games but they're not life coaches.

This is not an attack on everyone. It's just sad to me that the only way to connect to a chunk of society is through this game. People miss so much. I'm sure many play it and are sensible. Don't let it consume them or had lives outside of the phones. This is obviously not directed towards you.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, July 23, 2016 - 04:16 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#53 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Never had any desire to play the game but my brother showed me this last night.  Now the Pokemon are getting revenge

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#54 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 12:40 PM

The people who are staring into their phones, doing what ever, and walking out into traffic, and into other things, are the same ones who are also driving vehicles and staring into their smart phones. Those ones are dangerous.

Noel

#55 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 03:53 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...t-on-video.html