UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,699 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 03:41 PM

My neighbor "caught" one in my yard. I told him he owes me $35 for hunting on my property. 

• MH81, KennyP, WHdbJD and 1 other said thanks

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Prediction: Niantic (company that created Pokémon Go) will be sued out of existence by the end of 2017.

http://nationalrepor...ing-pokemon-go/

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Professor1990 OFFLINE  

Professor1990
  • Member No: 83864
  • 87 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Better not catch any of these nerds hunting for fake creatures in my yard...that's trespassing and I don't take to lightly to trespassing...guarantee if I catch someone hunting in my yard they will think LONG & HARD before they come back again

#19 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Probably 1/3 are on unemployment, another 1/3 on welfare, and bunch more trying to get on one or the other so they have more free time to play.  Went to pick up my glasses yesterday.  Next to the eye Dr. is a Game store.  A young couple was sitting outside in front of the window in folding lawn chair, each had a large drink and sharing a box of donuts.  Both had their phones play ???? probably on the free WiFi from the store.  What a waste.

I happen to like the game, I'm also employed with a full time job. The game helps to get people out to visit landmarks, other points of interest in their communities and even meet other people who also are playing the game. People are only paying attention to the actions of a few idiots, the vast majority of the game players live regular lives like everyone else.  

• massey driver, Dane in PA and STEELRAIN13F have said thanks

#20 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 502 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 09:06 PM

Okay:  Time for someone who isn't a Baby-Boomer or Gen X to share their piece.

You guys are looking at a mere fraction of people playing the game who do stupid things.  Should we blame all gun owners on the actions of a few?  What about all truck drivers based on the actions of the man involved in the Nice attack?

I, in fact, play Pokemon Go.  

Guess what?  So do a lot of my friends --who are in college and have either summer part-time jobs, some working full-time hours, and will be working part-time while attending school.  Others are working full-time.

As for myself, I'm one of the lead parts clerks at a Cub Cadet/IH dealerships and put in well over 50hrs a week (Last week, I clocked out at 60hrs --which happened to be the release week of the game.)

You guys are the kind of people who moan and complain about "kids" being inside too much, not getting out in the communities enough, etc...  

Well, the way I look at it, if it's getting people outdoors, into the communities, visiting historic landmarks and public areas, bringing communities of Gen Y and Millen.s out and together, patronizing local businesses, etc... then you all have no right to complain.

Oh, and guess what?  Everywhere Pokemon players happen to be, crimes are less likely to happen.

There are even groups forming of Pokemon Go players watching out for the younger kids and other members of the community --like a large Community Watch. 

Can't have your cake and eat it to.   It isn't 1960 anymore.  

I've said my piece.  

Edited by Dane in PA, July 16, 2016 - 09:09 PM.

• massey driver, MH81, Delmar and 7 others have said thanks

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 09:34 PM

It all started with that darn "Smart Phone".  Lets go back to a phone that is just that, a  PHONE, to make and receive phone calls. 

We don't need all this other stuff that goes along with it.  If you want to take pictures, get a $100 camera and it will do just fine.  Pictures might even come out right side up.  There, I said my piece.

All the Smart phone does is make many folks into walking zombies..   (I'm not saying ALL of them now)

Personal interaction has been replaced with electrical..  So much is lost in the translation electrically..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, July 16, 2016 - 09:35 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I can barely figure out how to answer a call on a "smart phone" (I don't own one) and I am all but 26, I have seen both sides of the debate, but there seems  to be a lot of stupidity associated with this subject.  One example I have heard was that people are blocking the local McDonalds drive thru because of this game, I have seen a few people playing in the store where I work, but most were acting sensibly.

• Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#23 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 10:35 PM

My neighbor "caught" one in my yard. I told him he owes me $35 for hunting on my property. 

Pokemon Poacher lol 

#24 chaoticmind OFFLINE  

chaoticmind
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 68718
  • 28 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:43 AM

It all started with that darn "Smart Phone".  Lets go back to a phone that is just that, a  PHONE, to make and receive phone calls. 

We don't need all this other stuff that goes along with it.  If you want to take pictures, get a $100 camera and it will do just fine.  Pictures might even come out right side up.  There, I said my piece.

Why should I carry around 4-5 electronic gadgets when a smartphone can do the same thing as all of them?

Can't have your cake and eat it to.   It isn't 1960 anymore.  

I've said my piece.  

Tis' human nature to romanticise the past, even though it is rarely as good as we remember.

Personal interaction has been replaced with electrical..  So much is lost in the translation electrically..

Maybe, but a lot of people have been helped tremendously by the internet and smart technology. People on the autism spectrum jump to mind.

• shorty and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#25 chaoticmind OFFLINE  

chaoticmind
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 68718
  • 28 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:46 AM

Put in a turnstile!  :rolling:  :D

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:14 AM

My son is playing some.
He seems to be tempering the game with the fact that is exactly that, a game.

Has promised me that he won't make the news.

Oh, and he quipped to me on the games second day after release that
"Michelle O has spent 8 years b*tching at kids to go outside and walk...
This game has done it in 24 hours...
Pays to know your target audience"

I think it's another way to get sucked in to the e world, but I'm old. If it gets kids outside more, not a bad thing. It will take a while for the kids and the rest of the world to adjust to them not all being on their repective couches. Give them a break, some of them are new to walking.
  • Dane in PA and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Prediction: Niantic (company that created Pokémon Go) will be sued out of existence by the end of 2017.

http://nationalrepor...ing-pokemon-go/

I am afraid that you're right.
I saw a lady on the TV. Her daughter wasn't even playing the game when she stepped out into traffic and got hit (she's ok or will be).
This lady was saying she was going to sue the company of the game her daughter wasn't playing because it was the reason she went outside; to play later.

I currently work on a university campus. Yesterday, a young lady riding a bike while looking at her phone rode straight into a chain link fence. Me being the consumate gentlemen, offered to render assistance. Her response was something that rhymes with yuck foo.
Never one to miss the chance to play the role of Mr. Obvious, I responded that rude and stupid was not going to be easy path to take through life, but I wished her luck.

You Silver Tongued Devil You. :rolling:
Don't be to hard on her, she just found out her favorite presidential hopeful has just endorsed another candidate and she will have to get a new wardrobe.

I told the Safety Officer for the GC that he should stand next to the sidewalk and give out prizes to anyone walking (under the age of 30) along not on their phone. A handful of prizes should cover an 8 hour shift.

Until the kids get wind they can get free stuff by pretending to be something they aren't.
There is a college in the town where I work. There are a few bright and shinning stars but they keep to themselves or are in the library all the time. Do yourself a favor and don't interact with the bulk of them, you will just get depressed.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Why should I carry around 4-5 electronic gadgets when a smartphone can do the same thing as all of them?

Tis' human nature to romanticise the past, even though it is rarely as good as we remember.

Maybe, but a lot of people have been helped tremendously by the internet and smart technology. People on the autism spectrum jump to mind.

I have a 'smart phone' but can't read the forum on it. Screen is way too small to do anything on. And my camera takes much better pics that I can crop or whatever on the computer. Plus I have plenty of storage on the computer for it all and I don't have to keep recharging the battery.

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I've messed with it. Neat concept. Caught a few so far.
  • Dane in PA said thank you

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,485 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 07:24 AM

Better not catch any of these nerds hunting for fake creatures in my yard...that's trespassing and I don't take to lightly to trespassing...guarantee if I catch someone hunting in my yard they will think LONG & HARD before they come back again

I was going to put a sign in my front drive....

" If you make a Poke'stop, you might get Poke'shot"

Some young guy got bit by a rattlesnake in Texas, he was too busy looking at his phone and not where he was stepping. He was lucky, fang barely punctured his skin.