#1 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Looking for any idea's on what to look for. I was mowing with a Massey 12G that I had just got. It had carb problems when I got it (throttle shaft badly worn and bad float valve?). Was running good other than having to keep the choke at about half way. It quit and would restart. I then noticed that gas was running out the carb. Fast forward, I put in new throttle shaft and a carb kit, clean with carb cleaner, (it's a Walbro lme 36 carb) set the float put it back on. As soon as the bowl filled the gas started running out the carb, not leaking from the bowl or anywhere else. I adjusted the float multiple times, has all gaskets including both sides of the bowl jet, the float is always dry inside and floats in pan of water with no air leaking from it when held under. The float valve shuts the fuel off fine when you lift the float with your finger. I can blow air into the carb gas line inlet with my mouth until I tip the carb so the float closes the valve so it seems to be working.  Its not an all pitted up or junky looking carb, but I'm thinking there must be an air leak into the bowl somehow?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 04:31 PM

Bud, on 15 Jul 2016 - 4:04 PM, said:

Looking for any idea's on what to look for. I was mowing with a Massey 12G that I had just got. It had carb problems when I got it (throttle shaft badly worn and bad float valve?). Was running good other than having to keep the choke at about half way. It quit and would restart. I then noticed that gas was running out the carb. Fast forward, I put in new throttle shaft and a carb kit, clean with carb cleaner, (it's a Walbro lme 36 carb) set the float put it back on. As soon as the bowl filled the gas started running out the carb, not leaking from the bowl or anywhere else. I adjusted the float multiple times, has all gaskets including both sides of the bowl jet, the float is always dry inside and floats in pan of water with no air leaking from it when held under. The float valve shuts the fuel off fine when you lift the float with your finger. I can blow air into the carb gas line inlet with my mouth until I tip the carb so the float closes the valve so it seems to be working.  Its not an all pitted up or junky looking carb, but I'm thinking there must be an air leak into the bowl somehow?

I had the same problem.  Did all you did too.  It was the float.  Did you try and shake it?  See if there is any gas in it.  I never have had any luck with the under the water thing, even with inner tubes.

• Bud and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 04:38 PM

I had the same problem.  Did all you did too.  It was the float.  Did you try and shake it?  See if there is any gas in it.  I never have had any luck with the under the water thing, even with inner tubes.

I am wondering still about the float too. Its dry, nothing in it as far as I can tell gets in it. Also, it does seem to have any time to even get gas in it as the gas starts leaking as soon as the bowl is filled. Thanks, I may end up getting a new float.

• Doxey and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Take the float out and dry it off real good.  Then hold a hair dryer up to it.  That will heat the air inside the float and any gas that may have leaked in will come back out the same spot - 99% of the time any way.

• Bud, limebuzz, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 05:18 PM

I've been trying to find parts for a Walbro, but have struck out!

• Bud said thank you

#6 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 06:29 PM

bhts helped me out with walbro carb parts. Thanks. Jim
  • Bud said thank you

#7 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:48 AM

There is a small spring that goes around the float hinge pin that helps push the float up to seal the needle , I bet you that yours is missing
  • Bud said thank you

#8 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Your right Kenny the parts are hard to find.  Tecumseh power, I do have the spring in, even checked to make sure it was in right every time.  I soaked the float in gas than wiped it dry and tried the hair dryer nothing showed. The new float valve seat (which I put in the right way) came with a retainer ring which the old did not have, anyway I took the ring back out and tried again still no luck. Guess I will try a another new valve and seat and if I can find a new float that too. Thanks everyone.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 10:47 PM

Your right Kenny the parts are hard to find.  Tecumseh power, I do have the spring in, even checked to make sure it was in right every time.  I soaked the float in gas than wiped it dry and tried the hair dryer nothing showed. The new float valve seat (which I put in the right way) came with a retainer ring which the old did not have, anyway I took the ring back out and tried again still no luck. Guess I will try a another new valve and seat and if I can find a new float that too. Thanks everyone.

Ok one more thing I thought of. You said you changed the needle seat. Did you put it in the correct way? One side of it will have either 3 divot or groves. They need to be facing away from you when it is put in . Or it will seep. Also that spring can be put on right but backwards Tecumseh says to put the spring ends toward the choke/air in. Side of the carb. There is also a metal tang on most lme carbs to keep the float from opening too far if it is cut off or bent the float will hang up . Alot of people cut them off because it's easier to get the the spring in with it cut off it covers that spring on the float pin.
  • Bud said thank you

#10 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted July 18, 2016 - 10:49 PM

And how much is running out of the carb
  • Bud said thank you

#11 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:46 AM

And how much is running out of the carb

There is a slow steady stream. I'm may get to town today and try to get a new valve, seat and float. I did put the seal and valve wire and spring all like you said. I'm back in the hay fields right now so not sure when I can get back to the carb but I will post if I get something done on it, thanks.

#12 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Found a new float that I could afford and tried it out, but did not help. I have another new valve and seat coming and will update after it comes and I try it.

#13 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Ok, watched all the carb repair web videos I could find to triple check what and how. Put in the new float another new valve and seat, a new tank fuel shut off so I can shut the fuel off, and the fuel runs out the carb like crazy still.  So until some time in the future it will have to wait. I had just started to try the sickle mower out after fabing  up the parts to run it, oh well.

#14 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 12:42 PM

I googled  Walbro lme 36 came up with a link to jacks engine site with a diagram of that carb  could help    Don

• Bud said thank you

#15 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Sometimes you just have to step back and go to something else to clear your mind. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I turned in the high and low idle screws (gently to stop). Opened the fuel shut off and no leak. Open the idle speed screw no leaking, closed it opened the high speed screw, bingo, gas running out the carb. At least now I now where just have see why, but It will be a day or so before I get time to pull the carb off. Thanks for the parts view site Don.