9 replies to this topic

#1 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 83309
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:45 PM

I DON'T GET IT!  I've found a number of schematics online and they all show the same thing at the regulator. Look at the attached jpg and note the red circle. 

On my Delco Remy regulator there are 3 terminals: F, BAT & GEN. I assume the L is the Gen terminal on this schematic.  Is the red circled area showing me a 4th terminal somewhere OR does that mean that the wire (#3) coming from the solenoid (solinoid?) connects to the BAT terminal?  Currently I have that wire (#3) connected to the GEN terminal and have 12.6 volts, but I think I should have 13 to 14 volts.  Essentially I don't have enough voltage to charge the battery and hope I haven't destroyed anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• 850_Wiring_diagram.jpg

#2 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 08:14 PM

Should be a wire coming from the bottom of the regulator that goes to the solenoid thats how it is on my 1053 and what i can tell from your diagram
  • flyboy said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Thats the wrong diagram for your machine, take a look at page 17 of this service manual

http://gardentractor...35-bolens-1220/

http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

You should be getting a reading of around 13-14.5 volts if the starter and regulator are functioning properly.

Edited by Bolens 1000, July 15, 2016 - 09:27 AM.
Added the correct link!

• boyscout862 and flyboy have said thanks

#4 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Should be a wire coming from the bottom of the regulator that goes to the solenoid thats how it is on my 1053 and what i can tell from your diagram

OK!  - It looks like another terminal to me also. I'll unbolt the reg and look for it. 

P.S. - I really like your Red Green quote!  - I agree with that!

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thats the wrong diagram for your machine, take a look at page 17 of this service manual

http://gardentractor...35-bolens-1220/

You should be getting a reading of around 13-14.5 volts if the starter and regulator are functioning properly.

That's the wrong diagram for a 650.  ...The 650 used a D/R regulator, while the Tecumseh on a 1220 used a solid-state regulator/rectifier.

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:26 AM

That's the wrong diagram for a 650.  ...The 650 used a D/R regulator, while the Tecumseh on a 1220 used a solid-state regulator/rectifier.

Oops I put the wrong link in that post, should have been for the service manual, I must have put the other link in the Bolens 1220 thread :wallbanging:

http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

• 29 Chev and flyboy have said thanks

#7 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:02 AM

OK!  - It looks like another terminal to me also. I'll unbolt the reg and look for it. 

P.S. - I really like your Red Green quote!  - I agree with that!

Thanks for your efforts!   I did not find any 4th terminal on the bottom of my regulator, just 2 resistors and several crimped connection points, no terminal. This leads be to believe that I may have the wrong regulator. But that isn't exactly true. I had the regulator and generator combo tested at a automotive motor shop and both were providing the proper charge output. The generator alone does output 13.5 to 14V So, the only thing left is improper wiring. Thanks to Dr. Bolens for the manual link - I'll look there.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 09:43 AM

On my Delco Remy regulator there are 3 terminals: F, BAT & GEN.

Can you post the D/R numbers of the starter/generator and regulator you are using?

The start/gen number can be found on a tag fastened to the start/gen.

The regulator number is stamped into the metal mounting bracket.

Are you certain your regulator is grounded properly?  ....If the regulator is not grounded, it can not control the output of the generator.

If the regulator has mounting feet with rubber cushions, there should be a small bare wire connecting the regulator to the mounting bracket.

• flyboy said thank you

#9 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Can you post the D/R numbers of the starter/generator and regulator you are using?

The start/gen number can be found on a tag fastened to the start/gen.

The regulator number is stamped into the metal mounting bracket.

Are you certain your regulator is grounded properly?  ....If the regulator is not grounded, it can not control the output of the generator.

If the regulator has mounting feet with rubber cushions, there should be a small bare wire connecting the regulator to the mounting bracket.

I double checked the ground at the regulator base and it is good. I also checked foe continuity between the regulator base and generator housing and that is good also. Yes there is a grounding tab over the regulator base mounting screw holes that is spot welded to the regulator base. The number on the regulator are 1115  165E also: 12VN  8F. And the generator/starter: 1101696  also: 9F30. 

Thanks for your help!!

#10 flyboy OFFLINE  

flyboy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 26 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 01:11 PM

I got it working!  Thanks for all your input(s) and replies!  The diagrams and suggestions helped me determine that I had a wiring error, (the ground was intermitting). Having corrected that,  the system outputs 13.5 to 14 volts.   YEAAA! :dancingbanana:     Thanks Again!! 

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 650/850, wiring, charging circuit, electrical