7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 06:46 PM

I have the chance to pick up the neat looking little tractor.  Never been around one.  Owner said the engine was running a month ago but it need ignition done.  Asking $50 + a 1+ hour drive one way.  Any idea what model it is? Part available other than the Briggs engine?  Should I buy it?   Wards Mower.jpg

Edited by chieffan, July 14, 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 06:51 PM

I have the chance to pick up the neat looking little tractor.  Never been around one.  Owner said the engine was running a month ago but it need ignition done.  Asking $50 + a 1+ hour drive one way.  Any idea what model it is? Part available other than the Briggs engine?  Should I buy it?

What tractor where.  Don

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:20 PM

What tractor where.  Don

Picture didn't go with the post for some reason.  Should be there now but just in case: Wards Mower.jpg

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Its an MTD. Not worth the driving. It has a forward and reverse transaxle with a varispeed set up. I've got three that were given to me. Two were badged Agway and one is badged Wizard. They were all freebies and broke faster then I could fix them. One had an overhead valve Tecumseh that dropped a valve after fixing everything else on it. If you want my three, you can have them. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 14, 2016 - 07:46 PM.

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 08:23 PM

Its an MTD. Not worth the driving. It has a forward and reverse transaxle with a varispeed set up. I've got three that were given to me. Two were badged Agway and one is badged Wizard. They were all freebies and broke faster then I could fix them. One had an overhead valve Tecumseh that dropped a valve after fixing everything else on it. If you want my three, you can have them. Good Luck, Rick

OK.  Thanks for the information.  I have been around several of the El-cheep-o MTD stuff in the past and don't need any more experience with them.  Need to go back to pick up some side panels for a Bolens anyway.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,622 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Boyscout was mighty hard on the MTD but....  I have to agree.

• DougT, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 10:08 PM

NO! Just a lawn mower!  And, look how shallow that deck is, about half thickness of most, heh!  Bet only two blade also. Monkey Wards, had lots made by Gilson, yet this does not look like one of those.  Save your gas, stay parked!

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 06:28 AM

NO! Just a lawn mower!  And, look how shallow that deck is, about half thickness of most, heh!  Bet only two blade also. Monkey Wards, had lots made by Gilson, yet this does not look like one of those.  Save your gas, stay parked!

I wasn't intending to use it as a lawn mower.  Thought more of a play thing for the grand daughter to drive around on.  Think I will pass on it.  She has her RAM which I know is a good solid machine - no deck on it but do have it.