Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Not sure what I have, help identifying would be appreciated.

economy tractor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay6759 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83904
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:16 AM

I just inherited an Economy tractor, but can’t really find anything online about it.  It’s a pull start but I don’t know what year it is.  Serial No. is X8783.  It has a Briggs & Stratton model 23CFB type no. 707520 ser. No 7574 motor. 

It does run and has a 48” mower deck.  I figured out how to adjust the height of the rear of the mower deck by adjusting the height of the rollers but the front still dips down and scalps the lawn.  Deck is not level.

My questions are:

-What year is it?

-It calls for “MS” class 20w or 10w oil, can I just put any conventional 10 or 20w-30 oil in it?

-How do you adjust the height of the front of the deck to level it out and not scalp the lawn?  The front is at about 2” off the ground and the back is set for just about 4”. 

-Where do you find parts for these tractors?  Everything I see online seems to be for 1600 or 2400’s.

Thanks so much for all your help.

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:50 AM

As to the first request, your tractor is a 1962.  Parts can be found though one of our best parts guys just passed away.  I'm out of the loop with these now so I don't know the best places but I'm sure someone will chime in.  The older tractors like your actually share certain parts with the 1600's and 2400's.  All those numbers mean is rear wheel size.  1600 is a 16" tire while the 2400 is a 24" tire.  I'm not exactly familiar with the mower set up on this year of tractor but I am willing to bet you have holes at different levels where the deck attaches.  Those holes are your front height adjustment.  Like I said, I never had one of this vintage so I'm guessing here.  The back is more than likely hooked to a chain to lift it.  That chain can be adjusted as can the rollers on the back of the deck.  Just play around with them until you achieve the desired height.  Sounds like you have the original engine.  Please post some pics of this beast so we can all enjoy your good fortune.  Welcome to the forum!

Edited by David Brown, July 14, 2016 - 09:51 AM.

• boyscout862 and Jay6759 have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 10:31 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#4 Jay6759 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83904
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Will post pics tonight.  Thanks for your help.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. You might find more info in our Manuals Section. 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy tractor