FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Well, I will grab a couple photos soon, I still have a bit to finish up first.

I ended up putting in 16 tomato plants, 8 per 20' row. I am going to try the a-frame (swing-set) style trellis this year with four 10' trellises. I had planned to make them off a plan using all store bought lumber, however, I might take a walk in the woods and use some small saplings.
At one end of the row of tomatoes, I have about 5' to the fence, so at each end of the row is a tomatillo plant in a concrete wire cage. I hear they produce a lot, and I need very little, so two should be fine.

To the left of the tomatoes, is a 20+ foot row of the Tangerine Dream peppers (9 plants I think)

On the far left side of the garden, I have five 23 foot rows of bush beans (4 rows per patch, 20 in all, or 460 feet) I have to take a photo of what I rigged up to lay out my wide beds. I used a 2x4 and cut some triangle "teeth" in oak. I screwed 4 of these teeth to the 2x4 and added a handle. This was pulled through the garden to mark out my rows. I worked great, but I think it needed some weight to push it down.

Now I have about a third of the garden left in the center... My plan is to put in a kind of three sister planting. I am thinking if I make two circles 8' in diameter, with another circle inside that (maybe 7') in diameter. There would be two of these plantings in the center of the garden with maybe three butternut squash plants in the center. This will give me some corn, but not take up any of the space because it's in the squash patch. I am not sure if I will grow the beans on the corn too yet.

That will leave me about 8 feet by maybe 15 feet left. I am going to build a lean-to type of cucumber trellis that is roughly 8 feet wide and grow some of the white wonder cukes from Burpee. That still gives me a little space I might be able to use still. Because of the squash vines, I may place a large planter on each side of the cucumbers and put hot peppers in one, with herbs in the other. They will be high enough to ward off the vines with some help.

I will grab some photos as soon as it dries up a bit, but for now... if anyone has any photos of "sapling / stick" built trellises or cucumber trellises.... Post away!

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 10:52 PM

PS...25'x50' and I really need MORE room! I am seriously thinking about bumping it out another 5' or 10'...

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:14 PM

Sounds great. Gardens have a way of always expanding, don't they.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:45 AM

Here is what I came up with for the cukes. Worked real good last year. Just an old 5' gate.
Trellis.jpg

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Can't wait to see the pictures , also take one of your "row marker " . I saw plans to make one with plywood wheels on a threaded rod to be adjustable but looked like too much work .Al

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thanks, I will... I did get the corn in, I made an 8' circle, and an inner 7' circle with two of these circles. Inside I planted 4 butternut squash plants. I decided to forgo the beans for now in the three sister planting. These circles took up more space than I planned (in fact, may be more than 8' now that I think of it) so I think I will try to put in two or three t-pee style trellis set ups for the cucumbers. That's about all the room I have left! I really wanted to put in more stuff, but I ran out of room. I am really thinking I need to make it bigger.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like you've been busy.
Looking forward to the pics.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:03 AM

Glad to hear you have it all in. Wife is using a vacation day today and said she would have our plants set out by evening.
I planted 3 Manchurian Apricots last night and hoed aroud the onions , shallots I leeks last night.
My potatoes are just breaking ground, I hoed the ones I could find.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Also, my plants have made it to three other gardens as well. I tilled a new fresh garden for a friend (and my tiller acted up for the very first time EVER! I think the ride in the back of the Jeep stirred up some junk in the carb) I gifted them half a dozen tomatoes, some peppers, and butternut. Sent home about 4 tomatoes, a couple pepper plants and a lone tomatillo (Not sure if the last one will produce alone) and a couple tomato plants to work related contacts. The later ones were given away in a McDonald's large sweet tea cup, and spent the day in the cup holder of my company car until I could off load it. (I am in the car all day) Worked really good, the cup was a tight fit and free!

Now if the rain would stop and the sun would come back!