24 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Exactly why I thought this tractor was an XL as I have an H16XL and a G16XT.  The black on the QT looks like the dark green on a faded XL.  Hood hinge straightened and spot welded back in place.  New cable installed and back shaped back to where it is supposed to be.  Looks better even though it don't move yet.

• LPBolens, Sawdust, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Exactly why I thought this tractor was an XL as I have an H16XL and a G16XT. The black on the QT looks like the dark green on a faded XL. Hood hinge straightened and spot welded back in place. New cable installed and back shaped back to where it is supposed to be. Looks better even though it don't move yet.

"Looks better even though it don't move yet". My wife told me that one time. I said for right now I'm just going to sit on it a go varoooom, varoooom. Glad your making some progress.

Edited by Sawdust, July 16, 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• LPBolens, chieffan and Paulgo have said thanks

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Sounds like the 6 yo granddaughter today.  I straightened out the axle bolt on the mower deck.  Changed the starter/gen on the 1256.  Mounted the self powered tiller on the 1256 and added some front weight while she went varooooom, varooooom.  She wanted to know why the horn didn't work.  Still trying to the the drive shaft loos at the engine end.  Need to slide it forward about 1/2" or less to get it back on the hydro.  Soaking in PB blaster so it will come loose one of these days.

#19 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 06:31 PM

You might want to go ahead and disconnect the stub from the flywheel. Then you can tap the two pieces loose enough to slide together to shorten things. I find it much easier to put shaft on hydro first and then to engine.  Paul

• chieffan said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:31 AM

I had thought about that but wasn't sure I could get the shaft out from under there with the deck on.  Might give that a try this morning.  It needs to be cleaned up good anyway.

#21 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 09:38 AM

Ahh...  I didn't realize you were still working around the deck.  :thumbs:

• chieffan said thank you

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 11:37 AM

The drive shaft slide out the back with no problem, once I got the front end cocked so it would clear everything.  Cleaned up good on the front and back of the shaft.  Hard to reach the input to the hydro.  When I can reach it can't see anything.  When I can see it can't reach it.  Kind of like the fat golfer, huh.

Anyway, that is the least of the problems.  Spun the engine over with a booster.  Had good compression on the left side.  Nothing on the right..  OK, valve stuck open.  Pulled the head off and guess what I found?

QT Head.JPG      QT Cyl.JPG

Intake valve opened and closed, though real cruddy.  Exhaust valve stuck open and let water run down into the cylinder.  Turned the engine a little with a pry bar on the starter gear and the right piston does not move.  Blown motor.  My luck with Bolens large frames and QT's is not good.  First large frame had a S14D on it that would never spark.  Junked it.  Now this one has a blown engine and the cost to rebuild it is way out of reasonable reach.  Guess I better stick with the tube frames and XL tractors.  I even have better luck with the Cub Gt's.

• olcowhand and Paulgo have said thanks

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 01:05 PM

Bummer!  Likely the cylinder sleeve is pitted beyond use.  Otherwise it would be fixable.

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Yea, the sleeve is shot too.  Thinking real hard of going with a Briggs in there.  I know it won't be original but in this part of the country, who cares? 
As long as it runs good.  Found an Onan in a tractor that supposedly runs for $300.  Briggs are about 11/3 to 1/2 that much.

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Motor is out and hanging on the chain hoist.  I have an old wagon hoist, like an overhead gentry sort of.  Have my chain hoist hanging on it to lift anything I want to lift from about anything, back of the truck, engine out of  a tractor,  mower tractor to sharpen blades.  Picked it up at an auction for $10.