24 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Took off on what was an hour+ drive after what I though was a XL series tractor and deck.  Was after the deck more than the tractor.  The deck looked good, what I could see in the grass that was grew up around it.  Spinals were free and though sounded a little dry.  Loaded it up and headed for home.  Got home and started checking it over better and found it was not a XL series but a QT series.  Model is 1666 and I think it is an Onan engine.  Don't ever remember seeing a Kohler with heads like is on this one.  Tractor is a little rough but think I can salvage it, seeing as how the deck will not work with any of my XL's.  Price was right so no harm done.

QT-1.JPG   QT-2.JPG   QT-3.JPG

QT-5.JPG   QT-6.JPG

• Gtractor, Traill95, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:26 PM

That's one like I'm working on now.  Hope yours runs better than can get mine to run. Onan has $$ signs on sides, heh! Parts can be found! Mine was locked up, but came free with no tear-down. Points and carb work. Carb is biggest issue on mine I think. Rebiult or replaced, still not right. Same engine used in Sears tractors for long time.  I also got new driveshaft made, cost as much as diff tractor, not one of best choices to do this one. I can sort of drive it around now at least. Now body needs work, stopped there for moment.  Working on the other Bolens G14 Money Pit now. Chassis about done, then into the OHV engine, a new place for me also.

• MailmAn, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 921 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:49 PM

yep it looks like an Onan with head covers missing. Hope you have covers for cooling.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 04:48 PM

I have the side panels for the tractor but nothing more for the engine.  I might have to give the PO call and see if there is anything laying around that might be them.

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 09:49 PM

QT16 Onan BF-MS  Really good engines.I don't care for the later model square carbs but there really good engines.Tiny AG tires on the deck are really neat.

• Paulgo and Doug E. have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 06:52 AM

yep it looks like an Onan with head covers missing. Hope you have covers for cooling.

Never seen or been around an Onan so not sure what the covers are to look like.  I have the side covers for the tractor and that closes the sides up fairly good.  Are you saying I need the heads covered completely ? ?  Still on the trailer.  May come off today.

#7 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 921 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:00 AM

104568399_-onan-engine-fits-in-bolens-sears-mf-wheel-horse-b43m-1.jpg

should look like this with side covers

• MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:47 AM

It will over heat without them being there

• jms180, MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 921 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 12:33 PM

:iagree:

It will over heat without them being there

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:25 PM

OK thanks much for the info.  Have a friend that has junked out a couple years past and might have the side covers around yet.  If not knows where there is an Onan engine running and get the pattern to make up something that will work.  Got it washed off today.  found the throttle and choke cables are free and working.  Carb will need to come off for cleaning for sure.  Will get into that in the morning.  Drive shaft is off the hydro.  Fan is good.  Deck is in the raised position and won't go down to get at the shaft to get it back on again.  Looks like it will have to come off the engine, then go on the hydro and back on the engine again.  Know nothing about the tractor and neither does the deceased PO's daughter who is selling it.  Going to take some doing to get it running again,starting with getting the carb off.   Onan Top-1.JPG   Onan Top-2.JPG

Looks like the bracket that is welded to the exhaust and bolted down to the intake bolt was done after it was all back together.  Carb my well have to come off the intake.

Edited by chieffan, July 13, 2016 - 07:33 PM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:44 PM

Well I got lucky I guess.  Contacted the gal that had the QT and got a message back from her  saying she has both covers for me.  Now to make a deal on the Monty Wards she has and will be making another trip to get both - I hope.  Will probably make a day out of it and go see some of the old covered bridges in that area.

• KennyP, MailmAn, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#12 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 02:56 PM

OK thanks much for the info.  Have a friend that has junked out a couple years past and might have the side covers around yet.  If not knows where there is an Onan engine running and get the pattern to make up something that will work.  Got it washed off today.  found the throttle and choke cables are free and working.  Carb will need to come off for cleaning for sure.  Will get into that in the morning.  Drive shaft is off the hydro.  Fan is good.  Deck is in the raised position and won't go down to get at the shaft to get it back on again.  Looks like it will have to come off the engine, then go on the hydro and back on the engine again.  Know nothing about the tractor and neither does the deceased PO's daughter who is selling it.  Going to take some doing to get it running again,starting with getting the carb off.   attachicon.gifOnan Top-1.JPG  attachicon.gifOnan Top-2.JPG

Looks like the bracket that is welded to the exhaust and bolted down to the intake bolt was done after it was all back together.  Carb my well have to come off the intake.

There are two lock pins that hold the deck up in the transport position-- one on each side by the foot rests. Pull out and turn. Then lower deck with lift lever. Engine looks good, other than missing covers. I usually just pull top half of carb (4 screws) and two jet screws for cleaning.  Paul

• ClassicBolens and chieffan have said thanks

#13 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'll let you in on a secret...  IMHO, the QT16 is one of the best GT's Bolens ever made. Serious work horses and those Onans are hard to beat for reliability and power.  Paul

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:47 PM

I'll let you in on a secret...  IMHO, the QT16 is one of the best GT's Bolens ever made. Serious work horses and those Onans are hard to beat for reliability and power.  Paul

Thanks much and that is good to know.  Little more inclined to get that old girl back running again.  I did figure out the deck lock knobs.  They were seized so had to hit them with the PB Blaster and let them sit a bit.  Came loose then.  Working on getting the engine end of the drive shaft loose.  Need to slide it forward about 1/2 inch to get the back of the shaft on the drive unit.  Back motor mounts are shot but that is minor.  Put a couple pumps of oil in the plug holes yesterday.  Turned it by had working on the drive shaft.  Once I get the drive shaft back on want to try a compression check and see where I am at in that respect.  Thanks much for all the good information and advice.  You guys are super !

• Paulgo said thank you

#15 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thanks much and that is good to know.  Little more inclined to get that old girl back running again.  I did figure out the deck lock knobs.  They were seized so had to hit them with the PB Blaster and let them sit a bit.  Came loose then.  Working on getting the engine end of the drive shaft loose.  Need to slide it forward about 1/2 inch to get the back of the shaft on the drive unit.  Back motor mounts are shot but that is minor.  Put a couple pumps of oil in the plug holes yesterday.  Turned it by had working on the drive shaft.  Once I get the drive shaft back on want to try a compression check and see where I am at in that respect.  Thanks much for all the good information and advice.  You guys are super !

It's kind of funny. My first Bolens was an H16XL. I thought my second was too, until I got a closer look. It had been repainted and had no decals or tags. Then I learned about the Q series, which are like medium frames on steroids. :)

Edited by Paulgo, July 15, 2016 - 08:27 PM.