#16 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 10:18 AM

I just can't justify the expense for a torch setup. Yeah, it would be nice to have for some of the things I'm doing at the moment. But once those are done, it would sit most of the time.

That's kinda what I was thinking, why pay a yearly fee on anything that is not used daily. The kit I bought included the tanks so it was a one-time cost and all I have to pay for is the gas. If I don't use it, it cost nothing now-- same as my welder, air compressor and other tools in the garage....

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 10:50 AM

I have several torch sets a the shop. We use them for everything from fusing and gas welding (brazing), to cutting, and heating to free up frozen parts. I also do shaft repairs with a torch using it a spray weld to build up bad shafts. I have made repairs in the field with a torch and baling wire or coat hangers. You can use the same regulator/gage set for both Propane or Acetylene, but you have to use the proper tip for each gas. MAP gas is another fuel used with torches, I have never used it, but have seen it used in shops that have been around for several years. We use a Rose-Bud heating tip for a lot of different jobs, mainly if you want or need to put a bunch of heat on something quick, or it is a large area you are trying to heat up. I use a rose-bud to preheat Cast Iron before and during the Brazing process.

BTW, If you watch around, you can pick up a torch set in a pawn shop for pennines on the dollar, I have bought several this way and take them to my welding shop to have them gone through before putting them in service.

Hope this helps.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Brian, please tell more about the spray weld to build up shafts! Start a thread in the tool section if you'd like. I would likely use this process if I knew enough.

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Daniel, I will do that for you...

#20 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am a refrigeration guy so I use a torch everyday pretty much. They are indespensable tools to have around. I have a small HVAC/R setup that i use. The cost for the tanks and refills arent that much. Learning which braze material to use will open up alot of areas for you to join metals together. 56% silver will just about stick to anything even stainless. Its expensive but it is great for a brazing rod.

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 12:57 PM

Guess I need to save my pennies and pick up one of these little sets. Would work real well for me.
I happen to have a nearly full tube of the Stay-Silv 15. Don't use it much, with out the oxy-actl. setup. But Mapp gas will melt it.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 01:01 PM

56% silver will just about stick to anything even stainless. Its expensive but it is great for a brazing rod.

I have a tube of that which I use for my own HVAC repairs. I have to be ready for anything going wrong in my 2 milk cooler units, plus home air conditioner problems that may arise. Good to know it works on stainless....got plenty of that in the milk parlor too.

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Daniel, I started a new thread on Thermal Spray Repair. Hope you enjoy it.

You may want to move it to a different forum.