#1 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Still learning how to use it but man it's handy in the garage. Had two nuts stuck on my Jd2020 that the impact wrench could not budge. Put some heat on them and they came right off :rocker: Cutting, heating and bending, brazing, welding, heating to loosen----If anyone is wondering if it's worth the expense, I would have to say YES...

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Amen! I put off having one because it was an expenditure to get started. Promised myself that I'd get the bigger tanks if I did it.

Got the bigger tanks and an ESAB package deal, both on sale. Worth every penny 10 times over. It has made some projects doable, others easier and with the rosebud, made bending metal MUCH easier.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 03:54 PM

Know what ya mean Fred. We didn't have an acet. torch till maybe 15yrs ago. Today I just can't see how we ever did without one.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:04 PM

They are just about the handiest tool to have around, and invaluable if you work with rusty stuff.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:32 PM

I would be totally lost without my torches. I don't use them much anymore for welding,as the mig does most of that now.Nor do I use them much for cutting now either what with the plasma cutter,but for heating I use them a lot.To me the cost is not that important,even though my yearly contract is $307.00 , and the gases are not cheap either.But gotta have them,that's just the way it is.

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 04:34 PM

They are a very valuable tool, I have acetylene and propane rigs. propane is cheaper cutting;but you can not weld with it. I do use my acete. when I have to. For general fab work I use propane as my fuel gas. Another tip is to NEVER lay your acetylene tank down and use it, or you will have a gummed up regulator. Stand them up for a while before use and crack the tank valve open briefly before installing the reg. I have welded a lot of pipe with acetylene , with practice you can make good quality repair welds in the field with out a power source. Also the tip on the end of your torch is not a hammer! ( do as I say not as i do :laughingteeth:) Good luck with your new tool,Shawn
  • Meangreen and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#7 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 06:50 PM

ESAB package

LOL I don't even know what that is!! Is the rose bud worth investing in?

#8 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 07:01 PM

They are a very valuable tool, I have acetylene and propane rigs. propane is cheaper cutting;but you can not weld with it. I do use my acete. when I have to. For general fab work I use propane as my fuel gas. Another tip is to NEVER lay your acetylene tank down and use it, or you will have a gummed up regulator. Stand them up for a while before use and crack the tank valve open briefly before installing the reg. I have welded a lot of pipe with acetylene , with practice you can make good quality repair welds in the field with out a power source. Also the tip on the end of your torch is not a hammer! ( do as I say not as i do :laughingteeth:) Good luck with your new tool,Shawn

Propane? Same tip, regulator and pressure?? When I bought the outfit I had to lay the tanks down in the van. The guy at the shop said I needed to let the tanks stand upright over night but I never knew why, thanks for the info.:wave:

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Propane? Same tip, regulator and pressure?? When I bought the outfit I had to lay the tanks down in the van. The guy at the shop said I needed to let the tanks stand upright over night but I never knew why, thanks for the info.:wave:

Nope, all different. Some people use the same REG for both with adapters, but my torch guy said not to. Dunno why, just said not to. And for the tip, they are different. In decades past, guys (including my Grandpa ) would use the same tip with a 3/8 nut started on the tip about half a thread. Close approximation to the actual differences between the tips. Not very scientific tho...
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#10 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 12:57 AM

I would say so. It puts a even heat over a larger area, thus able to heat for bending or loosening much easier. plus you can roast marshmallows better with it.:flamethrower:
  • Meangreen and KennyP have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:44 AM

Every one needs a good marshmallow roaster. I just can't justify the expense for a torch setup. Yeah, it would be nice to have for some of the things I'm doing at the moment. But once those are done, it would sit most of the time.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:19 AM

Every one needs a good marshmallow roaster. I just can't justify the expense for a torch setup. Yeah, it would be nice to have for some of the things I'm doing at the moment. But once those are done, it would sit most of the time.

Kenny , I was in the same boat as you , wanted them but knew they wouldn't be used too often , just keep an eye out and let people know your looking for a set at a decent price , you'll get a set. Al

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:44 AM

Getting the gauges wouldn't be too much of a problem, the tank lease is the bummer.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:06 AM

Getting the gauges wouldn't be too much of a problem, the tank lease is the bummer.

Shop around. I got my lifetime leases for (around) $120 each. One time expenditure, no annual. Also ask them about fill costs and figure that in...some places bargain the lease and charge higher for the gas. My bigger tanks, $39 for acetylene, 16 for the O2.
I figured it out this way, after the 2nd or 3rd car repair that I needed it for, or one time making flower pot hangers for my wife, they have paid for themselves.

Regarding them sitting around most of the time... Mine do. And I Still say they were one of the best investments... The gas doesn't go bad, make sure the valves are closed tight is all.

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:39 AM

That's how I got my tanks , a friend's BIL past away and he allready had a set so he gave those to me along with the "bill of sale " just needed to get the inspected and filled ,bought a new torch and gauge set. Just keep putting the word out ,you'll get a set , Al

Edited by MH81, May 24, 2011 - 11:48 AM.