• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Professor1990 OFFLINE  

Professor1990
  • Member No: 83864
  • 87 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:25 AM

Have been collecting garden tractors for some time now, but they have all been Wheel Horse brand. That changed this weekend when a friend of mine talked me into buying this old Gilson built Montgomery Wards he had sitting in the back of his shed, picked up this tractor and an antique push mower of some kind from him for $75. Haven't gotten it running yet, but I must say I'm surprised at how solidly built this little tractor is, as I get farther into working on her, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for y'all lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• KennyP, jpackard56, Traill95 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:34 AM

No a bad looking tractor at all.  Looked at a smaller version yesterday. 32" deck under it (I think)  Ignition has been removed.  Wanted $50.  May go back and get it.

Who built the engines for Wards back then?  Was it B&S or Tech ?  I have a Ward 5 hp on a sears mounted tiller.  Could not find any numbers on it.

Edited by chieffan, July 12, 2016 - 05:35 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Nice looking tractor!

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:56 AM

IMG_0841.JPG

Have been collecting garden tractors for some time now, but they have all been Wheel Horse brand. That changed this weekend when a friend of mine talked me into buying this old Gilson built Montgomery Wards he had sitting in the back of his shed, picked up this tractor and an antique push mower of some kind from him for $75. Haven't gotten it running yet, but I must say I'm surprised at how solidly built this little tractor is, as I get farther into working on her, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for y'all lol.

I like WH but its good to broaden ones horizon do you agree ? after all variety is the spice of life

• boyscout862 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#5 Professor1990 OFFLINE  

Professor1990
  • 87 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 06:30 AM

No a bad looking tractor at all.  Looked at a smaller version yesterday. 32" deck under it (I think)  Ignition has been removed.  Wanted $50.  May go back and get it.

Who built the engines for Wards back then?  Was it B&S or Tech ?  I have a Ward 5 hp on a sears mounted tiller.  Could not find any numbers on it.

Mine has a 14HP Briggs on it

#6 Montgomeryluv15 OFFLINE  

Montgomeryluv15
  • Member No: 49533
  • 38 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:58 PM

Very nice, as you can see my profile picture just picked this up for $800 

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 04:35 PM

Mine has a 14HP Briggs on it

I ran your tractor model number and it is a 1971.

If you haven't found a manual, I will get a copy to you.

Ken

#8 Professor1990 OFFLINE  

Professor1990
  • 87 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:34 PM

I ran your tractor model number and it is a 1971.
If you haven't found a manual, I will get a copy to you.
Ken

Thanks Ken, wife was just asking me this morning what year that Tractor was and I told her I wasn't sure so that's good to know...I downloaded the pdf link that you sent me the other day for the Gilson hydrostatic models, but that's all I've got so far...wiring diagram should be the same or close, that's the main thing I need right now as someone in the past really butchered the wiring. Thanks again.

#9 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Really nice tractor Professor and you can't beat the price! That old cast iron Briggs is a real work horse but the flo-jet carbs they used are a little finicky till you get them dialed in. Love my Wheel Horses but there are lots of other tractors out there just waiting to be hauled home regardless of the manufacturer. Keep us posted on your progress.

• KC9KAS said thank you