• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dtsh ONLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:13 AM

I had another Bolens GT follow me home this past weekend. It was following so close, I could hardly see anything else through the rearview mirror.

2016-bolens-rearview.jpg

By the time I got home, I wanted to unload and play with my the new toy, but alas, I have thistles and curly dock in my pasture which need to be killed with a vengeance so it had to wait. I have a 750 which has served me well and done all I've asked of it; simple tasks like mowing fencelines, tilling new garden beds, a little light earth moving with the plow, dragging logs, and providing the muscle to help me erect some quonset buildings. As mentioned before, it's got an oil leak which hasn't gotten any better and I'm tired of putting oil in only to catch it underneath overnight so this new (to me) GT will take over some of the work while the 750 gets ripped apart and put back together. Without further delay, the new GT...

2016-bolens-h16-1.jpg

2016-bolens-h16-2.jpg

2016-bolens-h16-3.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:03 AM

Too pretty to work now!

#3 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 04:27 AM

Wow looks new

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Take it out and get it dirty. Might even put a mark or two on it.  Will look like a working tractor then.  Show piece now.

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Wow I've never seen one so nice. That one look original too. Nice tractor it will do you well those tube frame tractors are great.

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Very nice,great find

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Nice looking machine, Whats the model and serial of that one

The side decals are "Homemade"  But other than that it looks good.

• MailmAn said thank you

#8 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:07 AM

I thought only the 1556 had the reserve tank for the hydro because the H14 and H16 use the differential case as a reservoir? The 1556 uses 90 wt in its differential.

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:15 AM

My H16 is the early version 01 series & I have the reserve tank. Mine is mounted under the fender pan right below where you see his. You can see the hole in the pan where the filler neck sticks up.

Nice tractor looks like it has been rebuilt or a very nice original.
Your going to like the H16 a good worker. They run best at high rpm's.
  • MailmAn and Rainier have said thanks

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:04 AM

Wow, really nice tractor there, that thing looks like new!  Did the guy fully restore this tractor and then decide to sell it or is this just a really well kept and babied original tractor?  I've never seen one so nice that wasn't just recently fully restored and freshly painted.  Very nice find!  I'll bet now you don't want to use it and get it all dirty!

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:08 AM

My H16 is the early version 01 series & I have the reserve tank.

I was actually going to ask what that tank in front of the seat was for, but you beat me with the answer before I could even ask my question, lol! That does seem like an odd place to put a hydraulic tank. I figured if it needed a reserve tank for some reason, they would at least try to hide it under the tractor or maybe even under the hood, if there is enough room. So, why does this model (and evidently the 1556 too) need a reserve tank? I thought they all just used the fluid that was filled up in the rear transaxle housing? Or is the rear transaxle smaller on these and there isn't enough fluid in there to run the hydraulic attachment lift on the tractor as well?

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Wow, really nice tractor there, that thing looks like new!  Did the guy fully restore this tractor and then decide to sell it or is this just a really well kept and babied original tractor?  I've never seen one so nice that wasn't just recently fully restored and freshly painted.  Very nice find!  I'll bet now you don't want to use it and get it all dirty!

Its been painted

#13 dtsh ONLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Take it out and get it dirty. Might even put a mark or two on it.  Will look like a working tractor then.  Show piece now.

Already well ahead of you, we took advantage of a gap in the rain to mow the yard (3 acres) yesterday.

Nice looking machine, Whats the model and serial of that one

The side decals are "Homemade"  But other than that it looks good.

Yeah, the PO said he'd replaced some of the decals and some paint here and there. It's not 100% original, but it's in pretty good shape for a nearly 40 year old GT. I wish my 750 looked half this nice (working on it!).

The tag says it's a 1656, No 0103589 (may be an unreadable leading number).

My H16 is the early version 01 series & I have the reserve tank. Mine is mounted under the fender pan right below where you see his. You can see the hole in the pan where the filler neck sticks up.

Nice tractor looks like it has been rebuilt or a very nice original.
Your going to like the H16 a good worker. They run best at high rpm's.

The PO stated that's where this one was, but that it would gurgle and burp due to the way the lines ran, said he moved it when he was fixing some other things.

PO said the hydro package and engine had been untouched by him, but that he'd gone over much of the rest of it. It starts and runs nice, so no need to tear into that. While I take some enjoyment out of working on mechanicals, I think I'll follow his lead until I see a reason to rip it open; besides I need to get my 750 cleaned up and fixed before I can tear into the M&W ZTR, so this one's gotta run!

I got a round-back snowcaster and the 42" deck with it. The deck is in great shape, but the snowcaster needs to be cleaned up.

Edited by dtsh, July 12, 2016 - 02:12 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks