• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 06:32 PM

This is the mount for a model 59713 Tiller attachment for a Jake 1450 (or similar) tractor. I have one tractor and 2 tillers, but only one mount. So I have been planning this build for some time. I have been collecting necessary metals needed and got to a point of starting the build. I had one tiller attached, so I had to dismount it to get the part needed to build from.

This is what I hope to clone:

DSCN1940.JPG     DSCN1941.JPG

DSCN1942.JPG

I took 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and attempted to layout the mounting pin holes. That didn't work out.

DSCN1943.JPG    

Using the original mount, I was able to mark the pin locations and drill holes. These were used to locate the tubes so I could weld the plates on.DSCN1944.JPG     DSCN1949.JPG

On this assembly are 2 items I can not clone, so will have to seek outside assistance for those (circled in Blue here).

DSCN1949A.JPG

I put the two 3/4" pins in their holes and set the respective tubes to match the originals. Once that plate was welded on, I inserted the 1/2 pin and tube to weld it's plate on.

DSCN1950.JPG

That all complete, I made the center brace and welded it in. Time to check it out against the original.

DSCN1951.JPG     DSCN1952.JPG

The two pins that attach this to the tractor lined right up with the original. The tiller mount tube is a little off, but that is not an issue I can see.

DSCN1953.JPG

Now to source the above items and the pulleys. The springs will be another set of items to source.

• Alc, tractorgarden and 29 Chev have said thanks

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:36 PM

The flat piece with the slotted hole should not be too hard to make.  Drill two holes the correct diameter at the ends of where the slotted hole should be.  Scribe a line along the edge of the holes where the slot should be.   Then drill small holes (3/16")  in a line drawn 3/16" in from the two scribe lines near where each flat edge of the hole should be so that you have a line of holes in between the two large holes - space them 3/16" apart from each other.  Increase the small hole diameters one drill size up and the piece of metal where the slot should be should fall out and then finish off the flat edge with a file.  You can also use a hack saw to get close to the correct size by removing the blade from the saw frame, then place it through the hole and insert it back in the hack saw frame.  The cut little notches spaced about 1/8" apart to the edge of where your scribe line is.  It is a bit of work but you can test out your cooling devise while you sweat to your favorite tunes doing it.  

Edited by 29 Chev, July 11, 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:02 PM

The flat piece with the slotted hole should not be too hard to make.  Drill two holes the correct diameter at the ends of where the slotted hole should be.  Scribe a line along the edge of the holes where the slot should be.   Then drill small holes (3/16")  in a line drawn 3/16" in from the two scribe lines near where each flat edge of the hole should be so that you have a line of holes in between the two large holes - space them 3/16" apart from each other.  Increase the small hole diameters one drill size up and the piece of metal where the slot should be should fall out and then finish off the flat edge with a file.  You can also use a hack saw to get close to the correct size by removing the blade from the saw frame, then place it through the hole and insert it back in the hack saw frame.  The cut little notches spaced about 1/8" apart to the edge of where your scribe line is.  It is a bit of work but you can test out your cooling devise while you sweat to your favorite tunes doing it.  

If I'm looking at the slotted hole correctly, the dia. is such the bit would be overlapping the first hole. I'll measure it tomorrow. Don't think my hand would like the hack saw!

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:08 PM

How about something like this for the pulley?

Kenny's tiller.png

Slotted holes are a pain, but can be formed with a die grinder or dremel type tool.

Edited by Bmerf, July 11, 2016 - 08:10 PM.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#5 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:08 PM

If I'm looking at the slotted hole correctly, the dia. is such the bit would be overlapping the first hole. I'll measure it tomorrow. Don't think my hand would like the hack saw!

Sorry - I forgot about your hand - hope it keeps getting better.    

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I measured the slot this morning. It is 5/8" wide X 1" long. I'll study that and look around at what I may have. It is for the handle to actuate the belt clutch for the tiller, as seen in the first two pics above. I may have something around here that has a slot like that I could make work. The other part is a 3/4" rod with the end turned down to 5/8" for a pulley bearing to mount on. It has a threaded hole in the center of it. That I cannot accomplish.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:39 PM

Since we had rain showers off & on all morning, I got the pins made up for mounting to the tractor & tiller.