• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Nice model A tiretrx. And as you say, your never really done of them.

Noel
  • tiretrx and michael.kitko have said thanks

#17 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Thanks. It was in nice shape when I got it. But, as with most things older that get driven there's usually something that needs looking after or fixing. The new seat was because of my height I went with thin line seats. Much improved head and leg room.

Like that '77 250 of yours. Is that the 351 engine?

No...it actually has the 400. My friend said he couldn't believe it and the fact it was labeled by the guy I bought it from as a 351.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • tiretrx said thank you

#18 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have thread going but here's pics. '55 GMC, '70 GMC Jimmy and '72 GMC C2500 with a '72 Born Free camper.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Web Drive 55 4-2-16 016.jpg
  • hi res scans 005.jpg
  • camper move 004.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, July 13, 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Gtractor, tiretrx, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#19 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:55 AM

I have thread going but here's pics. '55 GMC, '70 GMC Jimmy and '72 GMC C2500 with a '72 Born Free camper.

DAC

That's a heckuva threesome, classic American iron! That '55 really brings back memories. Wow. My oldest brother owned one in the late 60's, early 70's. We use to make the dump run on the weekend with it. The dump was on a back road in town. He'd let me and my nephew steer and shift the 3 on the tree propped up on his lap. He's got 21 years on me. I was 6 or 8 years old at the time. God, I'd love to have that truck today.

I hadn't seen your thread previous, but I found it. Looking forward to a good read. Very cool thread :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:25 PM

"Uncle Henry", '29 Model A. Just redid the seat. Also recently replaced some wiring, horn work, carburetor, battery cutoff etc.

DSC02052.jpg

Truly a beautiful Model A! For some reason old trucks get my attention more than the cars---love them all though. Do you have more pics and info posted on the site somewhere? My wife's side of the family has gearheads that do cars and trucks much older than my stuff.

DAC

• tiretrx and propane1 have said thanks

#21 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 06:38 AM

My 46' cj2a. Right on about never being done with them, seems I always got something that needs fixing :rolling:

parkway.jpg

• jhn9840, Gtractor, Cvans and 8 others have said thanks

#22 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:01 AM

My 46' cj2a. Right on about never being done with them, seems I always got something that needs fixing :rolling:

parkway.jpg

That's a sweet ride! Like the colors too.

Any engine bay shots?

#23 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Truly a beautiful Model A! For some reason old trucks get my attention more than the cars---love them all though. Do you have more pics and info posted on the site somewhere? My wife's side of the family has gearheads that do cars and trucks much older than my stuff.

DAC

Thanks! I've posted a few pics and tidbits on MTF, but that's about it. The truck does have an interesting history. A bud of mine gives me a call that there's an old p/u for sale at a yard sale a town over. Says it's in nice shape. So I head over. The "house" it's at is the caretaker's house on a 10 acre estate on the Great South Bay. Obviously, rich folk, lol. Kind of shocked me when I saw the truck. My friend is master of understatement I remember thinking. Anyhoo, I go over to the truck and there's a piece of paper propped up to the windshield. This one.

IMGP2446.jpg

IMGP2461.jpg

In 1978, Lee Iacocca, who at the time was president of Ford Motor Company gave this truck to Leo Kelmensen as a birthday gift, who at the time was under contract with Ford as their lead advertiser to the tune of 75 million dollars. Mr. Kelmensen's widow gave me some photos of the truck, including this one from the day it was gifted. Iacocca's on the left, Kelmensen to the right. The pic was taken where the yard sale was held.

A couple years later, Iacocca was fired by Henry Ford III. He then went to Chrysler, and took Kelmensen with him to handle Chrysler's "If you can find a better car, buy it!" campaign. His contract for that was in the amount of 125 million. Mrs. Kelmensen also gave me awards presented from Chrysler, etc and books written by Lee Iacocca that mentioned her husband. She said they were very close friends and that Lee spent many a good time at their house.

Since I've purchased the truck I've reached out to Mr. Iacocca numerous times for more info on the truck's history. Mrs. Kelmensen told me that Lee told her it had been in the Ford Museum in Dearborn. He has never replied to me, though. I think I'll try another letter today............it's been about a year now. Hope this wasn't too long winded.

• jhn9840, Gtractor, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#24 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:16 AM

That's a sweet ride! Like the colors too.

Any engine bay shots?

Thanks, its as close to the original colors as I could get with a rattle can. Haven't any of the engine bay, guess I need to fix that . 

• tiretrx said thank you

#25 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Thanks! I've posted a few pics and tidbits on MTF, but that's about it. The truck does have an interesting history. A bud of mine gives me a call that there's an old p/u for sale at a yard sale a town over. Says it's in nice shape. So I head over. The "house" it's at is the caretaker's house on a 10 acre estate on the Great South Bay. Obviously, rich folk, lol. Kind of shocked me when I saw the truck. My friend is master of understatement I remember thinking. Anyhoo, I go over to the truck and there's a piece of paper propped up to the windshield. This one.

IMGP2446.jpg

IMGP2461.jpg

In 1978, Lee Iacocca, who at the time was president of Ford Motor Company gave this truck to Leo Kelmensen as a birthday gift, who at the time was under contract with Ford as their lead advertiser to the tune of 75 million dollars. Mr. Kelmensen's widow gave me some photos of the truck, including this one from the day it was gifted. Iacocca's on the left, Kelmensen to the right. The pic was taken where the yard sale was held.

A couple years later, Iacocca was fired by Henry Ford III. He then went to Chrysler, and took Kelmensen with him to handle Chrysler's "If you can find a better car, buy it!" campaign. His contract for that was in the amount of 125 million. Mrs. Kelmensen also gave me awards presented from Chrysler, etc and books written by Lee Iacocca that mentioned her husband. She said they were very close friends and that Lee spent many a good time at their house.

Since I've purchased the truck I've reached out to Mr. Iacocca numerous times for more info on the truck's history. Mrs. Kelmensen told me that Lee told her it had been in the Ford Museum in Dearborn. He has never replied to me, though. I think I'll try another letter today............it's been about a year now. Hope this wasn't too long winded.

Holy cow! I don't know what to say for sure!!! That is an awesome story behind that truck! I didn't know Lee Iacocca was still alive. I didn't agree with a couple of his political ideas but he was a legend in the big business in Detroit. Obviously Mr. Kelmenson was a top-notch advertising mogul. Thank-you for the story of your beautiful Model A!

Oh I'm going to show my ignorance, I've seen the abbreviation MTF many times but have no clue what it is. Another GT forum?

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, July 15, 2016 - 07:17 PM.

• tiretrx said thank you

#26 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Holy cow! I don't know what to say for sure!!! That is an awesome story behind that truck! I didn't know Lee Iacocca was still alive. I didn't agree with a couple of his political ideas but he was a legend in the big business in Detroit. Obviously Mr. Kelmenson was a top-notch advertising mogul. Thank-you for the story of your beautiful Model A!

Oh I'm going to show my ignorance, I've seen the abbreviation MTF many times but have no clue what it is. Another GT forum?

DAC

Glad you liked the story. It's surprising how many people don't know who Lee Iacocca is when I tell them the story, lol. I guess folks under 40 wouldn't remember all those commercials he made. He made his bones with Ford, and had a lot to do with the Mustang coming about. MTF stands for MyTractorForum. 

• MFDAC and propane1 have said thanks

#27 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 12:32 AM

Here is mine,ford f 150 blown head gasket I think I will do a complete body job on it at the same time I fix the engine and add some performance goodies to boot

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0104.JPG
  • PTDC0105.JPG
  • PTDC0106.JPG

• MFDAC and tiretrx have said thanks

#28 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 12:39 PM

As a project they are never really done IMO...I made these front signal lights from a Restore find. A little paint and a beehive lens. Last pic is the condition I brought it home from Mn.  Canadian Border guard asked "How much that thing worth?" I told her "a kings ransom but I got it for much less" Had to pay $48 tax!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3124.JPG
  • IMG_3109.JPG
  • IMG_3114.JPG
  • IMG_3123.JPG
  • 100_2465.jpg

Edited by Jazz, October 22, 2016 - 12:45 PM.

• KennyP, MFDAC, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#29 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 01:49 PM

parkway.jpg

That thing is SWEET!  I have always been fond of the cj2a's.  Would love one someday.

I acquired a 54 IH model R100 this year that is a project truck for the future.  It came from my coworker because his parents were selling their farm due to health reasons.  He had nowhere to go with it and new that since I was into Internationals and had a shed to put it in that it would have a good home where it wouldn't deteriorate until it could be restored.  He had owned the truck for the past 35 years and was the first vehicle that he ever bought when he was 16.  I have to look but I think it has less than 60,000 miles on it.  He had plans to restore it and because of this it came with a bunch of genuine N.O.S. IH parts that are NLA.  Most of them still in the original boxes in totes where they are safe till needed.  I don't currently have the time or funds to devote to the truck  but I could not turn it down due to the fact that he would not sell it to me but instead gave it to me!

• MFDAC said thank you

#30 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 08:56 PM

As a project they are never really done IMO...I made these front signal lights from a Restore find. A little paint and a beehive lens. Last pic is the condition I brought it home from Mn.  Canadian Border guard asked "How much that thing worth?" I told her "a kings ransom but I got it for much less" Had to pay $48 tax!

That's a cool innovation using unlikely parts on your truck! I forgot or never picked up on what drive train is in your International. Could you post about that too?

That thing is SWEET!  I have always been fond of the cj2a's.  Would love one someday.

I acquired a 54 IH model R100 this year that is a project truck for the future.  It came from my coworker because his parents were selling their farm due to health reasons.  He had nowhere to go with it and new that since I was into Internationals and had a shed to put it in that it would have a good home where it wouldn't deteriorate until it could be restored.  He had owned the truck for the past 35 years and was the first vehicle that he ever bought when he was 16.  I have to look but I think it has less than 60,000 miles on it.  He had plans to restore it and because of this it came with a bunch of genuine N.O.S. IH parts that are NLA.  Most of them still in the original boxes in totes where they are safe till needed.  I don't currently have the time or funds to devote to the truck  but I could not turn it down due to the fact that he would not sell it to me but instead gave it to me!

I would dig seeing pics if that '54! The first truck I bought in 1973 was a '55 International which pretty much looked like a '54. I really liked how the hood could be opened left, right, or if desired, completely removed! It was also way ahead of it's time with a full steel bed floor! Incidentally, I was also 16 when I bought that '55 International!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, October 22, 2016 - 09:00 PM.

• IHCubGuy and Jazz have said thanks