• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:09 PM

That's weird.  I've owned both the 5.4 and the 4.6 I have now for a combined 16 years and neither ever gave me any issues like that.  The only complaint I have about the 4.6 is that it's a little under powered for me even though most people seem to like them.  I guess you get good ones and bad ones in all makes. my neighbor said that he was pulling his camper and his truck was working real hard when the plugs blew.  I have never worked my 5.4 that hard.

My neighbor said that he was working his 5.4 real hard pulling his camper when the plugs blew.  I have never worked mine that hard, but now I'm a little worried.  It's a 1999 van, so it's not a spring chicken.  Oh, and it has just 128,000 on it.

Edited by Doxey, July 12, 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Not to put my lack of intelligence on full display but exactly what plugs are we talking about?  I assume they are freeze plugs of sorts?  I'm rarely under the hood of any of mine aside from an oil change so I'm curious.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Shooting spark plugs out of the heads.  Usually takes threads and all.

http://www.fordprobl...-ejection.shtml

Good informational site there on it.

No one knows why.

I know of a mustang with a 4.6 that has blown 2, and 5 F150s.  The 3 we have, my buddies truck, and another guy at works truck.  Seen these ones first hand, heard of tons of others with the same problem.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 12, 2016 - 03:35 PM.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:37 PM

No one knows why.

I know of a mustang with a 4.6 that has blown 2, and 5 F150s.  The 3 we have, my buddies truck, and another guy at works truck.  Seen these ones first hand, heard of tons of others with the same problem.

Sounds like poor design it the first place to me! Glad I don't care for that brand anymore!

#20 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:43 PM

If you guys are referring to the Triton engines, it's the lack of threads in the aluminum heads.  It's easy to over-tighten the spark plugs and strip/pull the threads out of the head.  Notice the lack of threads on the spark plugs (see pic).  Way too shallow threads for an aluminum head!

Ztech-lv.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:44 PM

If you guys are referring to the Triton engines, it's the lack of threads in the aluminum heads.  It's easy to over-tighten the spark plugs and strip/pull the threads out of the head.  Notice the lack of threads on the spark plugs (see pic).  Way too shallow threads for an aluminum head!

Ztech-lv.jpg

Goes back to poor design by the engineers!

• TAHOE and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 04:01 PM

No one knows why.

That answers my question.  It's the spark plugs.  Never heard of such a thing.  I would say poor design as well.

#23 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Does any state have auto inspection any more? I know they check for emissions and such but stuff like no brakes and loose gas tank is dangerous. Indiana used  to have auto inspections but they stopped doing it because of abuse by garages and mechanics. In the last week  I have heard of two different people driving with bad brakes because they didn't have the money to fix them. Where are they going to get the money to pay for accident expenses and medical bills??

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 04:14 PM

Does any state have auto inspection any more? I know they check for emissions and such but stuff like no brakes and loose gas tank is dangerous. Indiana used  to have auto inspections but they stopped doing it because of abuse by garages and mechanics. In the last week  I have heard of two different people driving with bad brakes because they didn't have the money to fix them. Where are they going to get the money to pay for accident expenses and medical bills??

Yes, PA still does the once a year inspection.  People look at it as a pain but I wouldn't want to do without it.  It's kind of like regular trips to the dentist.  The problems are smaller and easier (cheaper) to take care of when caught early.

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Does any state have auto inspection any more? I know they check for emissions and such but stuff like no brakes and loose gas tank is dangerous. Indiana used to have auto inspections but they stopped doing it because of abuse by garages and mechanics. In the last week I have heard of two different people driving with bad brakes because they didn't have the money to fix them. Where are they going to get the money to pay for accident expenses and medical bills??

No inspections for Ohio

When working in wv and PA we took our company trucks in for inspection. I swear they just out a sticker on. A lot of the times a month after inspection we'd have to put brakes on or tires ect.

One place we used to take our heavier trucks for inspection in dubois PA would do a "special" inspection. It was a 100 dollars more. Came with a fresh sticker and a pine tree air freshener.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • lrhredjb said thank you

#26 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I took in an old buick I had just bought for inspection to get the plates. The guy said " your front brakes are getting a little thin, they passed but just barely. You need to get those replaced."  My reply was "That is F/n amazing because I just put new ones on it LAST NIGHT"

I never went back to that place. They like to tell you that your ball joints are bad too, because that is usually an $800 gig

#27 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:11 AM

No inspections for Ohio

When working in wv and PA we took our company trucks in for inspection. I swear they just out a sticker on. A lot of the times a month after inspection we'd have to put brakes on or tires ect.

If they were caught doing that, they wouldn't be inspecting anymore.  That's one thing PA tends to take very seriously.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Goes back to poor design by the engineers!

Trying o save 5 lbs and train the general public it's not a good idea to do any work to your vehicle.
What's next? LH thread oil drain plugs?

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 17, 2016 - 07:57 AM

I took in an old buick I had just bought for inspection to get the plates. The guy said " your front brakes are getting a little thin, they passed but just barely. You need to get those replaced." My reply was "That is F/n amazing because I just put new ones on it LAST NIGHT"
I never went back to that place. They like to tell you that your ball joints are bad too, because that is usually an $800 gig

This is why I don't support inspections. People get taken advantage of.

#30 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 09:51 PM

I had the front strap rust through on a '95 Dodge. Only the filler neck and what was left of the back strap was holding it up. 

I had a rusted rear spring hanger give out on a '94 Ford going down the highway... thats not fun

Busted one strap on my Dodge, thankfully everything else held and made it home ok, caught the rusted spring shackle before it became an issue.

NY does, but it's pretty much a joke, some of the trucks are rusted to the point where they have almost no fenders at all.