• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 06:06 AM

Fuel pump went out for the second time in the 28 years I have owned my 6517. Ordered a low pressure electric pump for it. Was just wondering if it made a difference if it was ahead of the fuel filter pulling fuel thru or behind pushing fuel thru.

:D Al

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 06:33 AM

I normally have the filter between the pump and tank. Protects the pump from crud.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:18 AM

I think about all vehicles have the filter ahead of the pump.  Even the in tank pump have a filter before the fuel gets into the pump.

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 11:30 AM

Filter before pump, but electric pumps should be near the fuel tank not up by the engine. They prefer pushing.

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Just a question. Why electric?  I found the impulse type to be less expensive and easier to install. May be that I am just prejudice because I have had bad luck with electric pumps, especially if they set for a long time.  Don  

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Just a question. Why electric?

You can fill the carb. float bowl without turning the engine over. Some engines are notorious for boiling the gas out of the carb. after the engine is shut down. If your have worked on the fuel system you can pre-charge it with an electric pump. Also if you are having fuel problems you can pull the hose from the carb. and run the pump to see if you have any issues. Not all engines have a port available for a pulse pump. 

• secondtry said thank you

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 01:58 PM

You can fill the carb. float bowl without turning the engine over. Some engines are notorious for boiling the gas out of the carb. after the engine is shut down. If your have worked on the fuel system you can pre-charge it with an electric pump. Also if you are having fuel problems you can pull the hose from the carb. and run the pump to see if you have any issues. Not all engines have a port available for a pulse pump. 

I fill the bowl by disconnecting the fuel line form the pressure side of the pump putting a small funnel in the line and pouring in gas. Never had an engine boil the gas out of the carburetor, Sounds like a very unsafe condition, explosive fumes. Never run into the port problem on a tractor that had a fuel pump as original equipment. With a good battery turning the engine over isn't difficult. Thanks for the insight. I still like the pulse pump if I have a choice  Don

• Cvans said thank you