• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Bought this at auction yesterday, unloaded it today, after replacing the fuel line and battery it fired up and I drove it around a little, needs rear tires before I drive it too much. Biggest question is what do I need to be able to hook up and use the snowblower.

100_1324.JPG 100_1325.JPG 100_1327.JPG 100_1328.JPG 100_1326.JPG 100_1329.JPG

• CRFarnsworth, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Looks to be in good shape, nice score!

• boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,888 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Nice pony, great that it runs with little effort.
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,783 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Nice GT. I think that you are missing a PTO on the engine. There should be a clutch and pulley set up outside of the drive belt. Download the manuals and check it against what you have. Good Luck, Rick

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Nice GT. I think that you are missing a PTO on the engine. There should be a clutch and pulley set up outside of the drive belt. Download the manuals and check it against what you have. Good Luck, Rick

Model on the decal just says 8, would there be more to that or is the model just 8?

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:30 PM

The 8 is just the trans. 4spd trans with dual range is what you get, BUT, reverse is included in speeds, so really just a 3spd with reverse. AT one time they called them 6 spds, but 8 must be a selling feature, ha!  Model might be in odd numbers on the tag kind of below the dash and hood latching area on left. Can't tell if 8 or 10 hp, maybe even 12?   If 8hp, is most likely a B80 model, but seems bigger. C-100 or similar model if bigger engines and wheels/tires on it.  Those numbers won't be on the tag. Will be a four-digit number and maybe a letter or - something, then need to look up in a book or on-line. I have the book, can look for you. I was wondering about pto also. Seems you will need that with blower, but then wonder if blower has diff set-up on  a horse?  I have never had blower or really looked at one hooked up too close. Can't see low enough on tractor to see if you have the Quik-tach mounts on front and in middle?  Those are handy when putting on attachments. You should get model figured and get manuals or even some on here that will help you get connected on all these items.  These are easy to work on and fun to drive, you'll like it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:54 PM

The 8 is just the trans. 4spd trans with dual range is what you get, BUT, reverse is included in speeds, so really just a 3spd with reverse. AT one time they called them 6 spds, but 8 must be a selling feature, ha!  Model might be in odd numbers on the tag kind of below the dash and hood latching area on left. Can't tell if 8 or 10 hp, maybe even 12?   If 8hp, is most likely a B80 model, but seems bigger. C-100 or similar model if bigger engines and wheels/tires on it.  Those numbers won't be on the tag. Will be a four-digit number and maybe a letter or - something, then need to look up in a book or on-line. I have the book, can look for you. I was wondering about pto also. Seems you will need that with blower, but then wonder if blower has diff set-up on  a horse?  I have never had blower or really looked at one hooked up too close. Can't see low enough on tractor to see if you have the Quik-tach mounts on front and in middle?  Those are handy when putting on attachments. You should get model figured and get manuals or even some on here that will help you get connected on all these items.  These are easy to work on and fun to drive, you'll like it.

The trans. in this one is just a strait 4spd, no high and low, has 6" tires on front, 12" on the back, engine is missing tag, but looks about right to be a k181, one peddle for brake and clutch.

#8 JimD OFFLINE  

JimD

• Member No: 385
  • 681 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:25 PM

The 8 stands for the engine horsepower. In 1973 they did away with model descriptions and just used HP ratings. This was in 1973 only. You have no pto parts as previously stated and I don't see the lift bar and flag in your pictures for the snowblower. The pto parts should be available enough but the lift bar and flag could be difficult to find. Look up the manuals for the tractor and the blower and you'll see the parts you need. Also put an ad in wanted section here to see if anyone can help with parts. There are some very good Wheel Horse only forums you can join to help you find parts and get advice. Also, could you get some pics of that thing on the hood that looks like a sight glass for oil? I'd be curious to know it's function as it isn't a Wheel Horse item. You have a very nice tractor there. Great find! :smilewink:

Edited by JimD, July 10, 2016 - 10:28 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#9 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 11:28 PM

The 8 stands for the engine horsepower. In 1973 they did away with model descriptions and just used HP ratings. This was in 1973 only. You have no pto parts as previously stated and I don't see the lift bar and flag in your pictures for the snowblower. The pto parts should be available enough but the lift bar and flag could be difficult to find. Look up the manuals for the tractor and the blower and you'll see the parts you need. Also put an ad in wanted section here to see if anyone can help with parts. There are some very good Wheel Horse only forums you can join to help you find parts and get advice. Also, could you get some pics of that thing on the hood that looks like a sight glass for oil? I'd be curious to know it's function as it isn't a Wheel Horse item. You have a very nice tractor there. Great find! :smilewink:

The thing on the hood is an oiler like you would find on a hit and miss or old piece of equipment, someone put it on there for reasons unknown, it serves no purpose, I will be removing it as well as the other ad ons(already got rig of the crap around the steering wheel, the American flag stickers will stay as I see no harm in leaving them), I am lucky enough to have a guy locally that deals in Wheel Horse's as well as a  couple buddy's that collect them, so I may be able to find parts local or find a junk tractor to pull parts off of. 

• JimD said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 04:18 AM

Nice find.

Why was an oiler added....Do you think someone had a Hit & Miss installed in there?

My B-I-L has a Hit & Miss on a Wheel Horse...he had to add a jack shaft because the power end of the H&M was on the left side,

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 11:48 AM

No, this tractor had a lot of crap added on, no clue why, I have seen gt's with hit and miss engines before though. 

#12 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 05:08 AM

Model on the decal just says 8, would there be more to that or is the model just 8?

The model name is 8hp 4-Speed and a 1973 model. Commonly known as the no-name year in North America. The European models used different names. Quite sure this model is one of the medium frame length tractors.

The snowthrower is not a Wheel Horse unit. Possibly Simplicity?

http://www.wheelhors...m-wiring-snpdf/

http://www.wheelhors...peed-hs-iplpdf/

Snowthrower in 1973 came in 2 packages

http://www.wheelhors...nit-tipl-snpdf/

http://www.wheelhors...g-om-ipl-snpdf/

Garry

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:24 AM

The model name is 8hp 4-Speed and a 1973 model. Commonly known as the no-name year in North America. The European models used different names. Quite sure this model is one of the medium frame length tractors.

The snowthrower is not a Wheel Horse unit. Possibly Simplicity?

http://www.wheelhors...m-wiring-snpdf/

http://www.wheelhors...peed-hs-iplpdf/

Snowthrower in 1973 came in 2 packages

http://www.wheelhors...nit-tipl-snpdf/

http://www.wheelhors...g-om-ipl-snpdf/

Garry

Thanks for the info, I thought the snowthrower didn't look right, there is a deck that came with it too, it's shown in the last pic.

#14 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 09:45 AM

What I can see of the deck does not look like a Wheel Horse deck. From 1973 to the latest decks for the 300, 400 and 500-Series still made this year they were all the same design.

https://www.partstre...y-mower-5-1010/

https://www.partstre...312999999-2012/

Only the 48" deck had the flat plate reinforcement above the deck pan.

Garry

#15 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 11:36 AM

That pic is kind of deceiving, the deck is only about 4', isn't even as wide as the pickup bed, I will see about some better pics/dimensions later(truck is at the shop getting repairs done, deck is still in the bed).  I may just sell off the attachments and pay for the tractor(only gave $110 for the whole package).