6 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens H16 OFFLINE  

Bolens H16
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 62428
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 03:13 PM

I have Bolens 1050 that I repowered with a Wisconsin THD. I use this tractor for  pulling at my local 4-H fair. At my last pull I won by pulling 5,300 pounds. at the end The clutch started to slip. A couple years back I replaced the clutch pads, so they are still good. Is there a way to put a bigger spring in it? Also

this is the tractor for reference point               

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 03:34 PM

I'm not trying to be negative or anything but IMO your asking the tractor to do more than it was designed to do and probably worn something down or broke something in the clutch, in my years of using these I have never had one of these clutches slip.

Check to see if any nuts are loose and the clutch backed out causing less tension

• MailmAn and Bolens H16 have said thanks

#3 Bolens H16 OFFLINE  

Bolens H16
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:27 PM

So a bigger main spring wouldn't  help? 

#4 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Also,good chance if you slipped it bad,you glazed the clutch pads,you might get lucky and be able to scuff them up with a heavy grit sand paper,my experience when drag racing back in the day once there glazed there not going to perform right

#5 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,310 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Also,good chance if you slipped it bad,you glazed the clutch pads,you might get lucky and be able to scuff them up with a heavy grit sand paper,my experience when drag racing back in the day once there glazed there not going to perform right

^ This,
plus look into valve springs for using on the clutch. Thousands of different lengths ,diameters, and very stout.

My guess is that you're spring isn't heavy enough, and once they glaze, they just keep slipping/burning, then eventually warping the disks, and the cat keeps chasing its own tail till something goes south permanently.
Cheers :)

Edited by stiemmy, July 10, 2016 - 08:55 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#6 Bolens H16 OFFLINE  

Bolens H16
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the help, I will definitely try to scuff the pads up and put a bigger spring in it. Also would I be able to fell a glazed clutch pad if i felt the pad?

#7 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Would I be able to feel a glazed clutch pad if I felt the pad?

I would think so.  The friction material would probably feel smooth and maybe even slippery and not rough like it has any "bite" to it, if you know what I mean.  If you look at it under light, it will also be shiny and you can see the light reflecting off of the glazed surfaces.  You can try to bring it back with some rough (50 to 100 grit?) sandpaper if there is enough material left.  If your friction material is worn down to nothing, you will need to replace it and buy a new clutch disc for it.  You can then try to install a heavier duty spring on the new clutch.  Keep in mind that this will also make the clutch/brake pedal harder to push down, so you might end up with a really big left leg driving this thing for any length of time!

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out...

Edited by MailmAn, July 13, 2016 - 11:04 AM.