• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Oh, for goodNess sake, grow a pair.
(Unlike me who squeals like Bruce Jenner at a shoe sale and looks for someone to hide behind everytime I see one.)

Found this fella/lass today
Was running the dozer and has to move him/her to safety.
Rat or corn snake, near as I know.
Eat up buddy, eat up.

Do they surprise you, Alan? I like to be around to hear this squeal!

• David Brown said thank you

#17 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I should not have read this thread....I will have nightmares tonight!

Edited by KC9KAS, July 10, 2016 - 05:05 PM.

• David Brown, Sawdust and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#18 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Look like I won't be emigrating to the USA after reading this post!

The thought of those snakes slithering around the outbuildings.....
  • David Brown and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Keep 'em! :thumbs:

• grnspot110 and David Brown have said thanks

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Not to offend anyone & I'm sorry but I hate a snake. I had a post awhile back about crawling out from under one of my tractors & meeting one face to face. I know I still have one somewhere because I haven't trapped a mouse in a long time. Call me a girl if you want but everytime I go into my shop I'm looking up, down & all around one step at a time.

Edited by Sawdust, July 10, 2016 - 05:45 PM.

• MH81, David Brown, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Here's the little snake I found in the garden just a week or so ago.  

attachicon.gifIMAG13401.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG13431.jpg

Little Snake???!!!

Around here we have rattlesnakes, gopher snakes, water snakes, garter snakes, king snakes and a variant on the black snake that's a tan/green color.  All except the water snakes and garter snakes eat rodents...and the king snakes eats other snakes, including rattlers, but I still shudder when I come across a snake of any type.

Which brings up a story...

When I worked at Tooele (too-illa) Army Depot in Utah's West Desert, I was on the inventory team and had to count ammunition in the storage igloos.  Mice and rats love to nest in the old wooden boxes, and we'd often find some vintage boxes with the hemp rope handles completely chewed off and made into a mouse nest.  Many of these mice were deer mice--tan on top, white on the bottom, and a carrier of deadly hantavirus. You haven't lived until you've opened a case of ammo and had a dozen mice jump out and every square inch of empty space in the box filled with mice poop...

So, since the mice have their own condos in the ammo igloos, the snakes ate well... We learned to be careful opening the door to an igloo since we'd often find a snake coiled right at the door... fortunately I never ran across a rattler, but other guys often did.

Anyway, there was a guy on my team named Big Wayne... 6'4" and 350 lbs and you'd think he was dumber than a box of rocks, but he wasn't dumb, just different--kinda quiet type, you know?

One day I opened an igloo and saw (part of) a snake draped across a pallet of prop charges... the pallet is about 4 foot high, and even though it's tail was almost touching the ground, I could only see half of the snake. I wasn't going into that igloo until I knew what type of snake it was...

Gopher snakes have a similar marking to rattlers, and while non-venomous, they can be aggressive--hissing and striking at you if you pester them...

So, I'm still trying to figure out if the snake is a rattler or not, and Big Wayne brushes past me, muttering "it won't hurt you". He picks up the snake and holds it in the open palms of both hands and walks out the door.  The snake is cool with it, just lying there and enjoying the view... Wayne lets it down and it slithers away in the grass... all the time, I'm standing there dumbfounded... I guess the snake sensed Wayne wasn't a threat to it, so no harm, no foul.... snakes still give me the creeps, though.

Smitty

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 3 others have said thanks

#22 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Looks like "too many toys" needs one or two up his way!  See his post on the subject!  I can do with-out! Once or twice in 20 yrs living here have only seen little grass snakes and Wife goes Crazy if she sees one or the skin or anything.  We seem to be having trouble with frog or toad in the hot tube all the time now. Just little tiny things and family goes crazy on those two, wants them all killed and such. I tell them, bot going to hurt them, don't bite or nothing, but still don't like them, heh!

• David Brown and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:54 PM

We have black snakes all over here. Steph found a worm snake and some kind of brown snake that she turned loose in her garden. They keep other snakes away (not the worm snake, he was just cool). I have only seen one king snake. One copperhead, but he died of lead poisoning. Good snakes stay, bad snakes go. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:00 PM

We have black snakes all over here. Steph found a worm snake and some kind of brown snake that she turned loose in her garden. They keep other snakes away (not the worm snake, he was just cool). I have only seen one king snake. One copperhead, but he died of lead poisoning. Good snakes stay, bad snakes go. 

I'm with you...

A year or so ago the local news reported a rattlesnake in a residential area... very rare.

It was amazing to me how many people said to just leave the snake alone and it wouldn't bother you. I guess they're Federally protected and you're not supposed to kill them, BUT  if I let the snake go... it can easily go into a neighbor's property and an animal, child, or unsuspecting adult can step on it and get bitten... even though there's antivenom, the wound left by a rattlesnake bite is nasty--it destroys tissue and leaves a nasty scar....

I'll leave the non-venomous snakes alone, but if I see a venomous snake where it shouldn't be, it's dead...

Which leads to another story...

While in the Army in Alabama, I was assigned to be an evaluating officer for an Alabama National Guard Unit during their summer training...

For anyone that's been in the guard, the two week training tends to get treated as a vacation/party by many troops, and this one wasn't any exception. So, I decided to tighten them up a bit--I had 2 NCOs working with me, and I bought a bunch of firecrackers and smoke bombs, and told them to hide across the road from the unit's field position and set off the firecrackers at a specific time to simulate an attack.

When the attack started, two soldiers ran down the hill and jumped into their foxhole--their must have been a springboard in the bottom for they came sailing right back out. They pulled out their E-Tool (entrenching tool--a small folding shovel) and started hacking away at something...

I wondered, "What the heck is going on down there???"  I walked down to their position, only to find a 3 foot copperhead in about 20 pieces... it's eyes were still open and it was unnerving to see the thing "staring" at me... I also learned that copperheads aren't necessarily brown or copper colored... this one was olive drab... (maybe it was an enemy sapper trying to infiltrate our lines, LOL!!)

Smitty

• ducky, Gtractor, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Not to offend anyone & I'm sorry but I hate a snake.

Little Snake???!!!. I guess the snake sensed Wayne wasn't a threat to it, so no harm, no foul.... snakes still give me the creeps, though.

Smitty

Did you all ever think how much snakes hate us? The dude is just slowly sliding through the darkness homing in on his next meal when suddenly there is a blinding light and the loud noise of a door slamming open. Then this enormous ape-thing starts dancing on top of you all the while making a sound with it's mouth that sounds like a jet fighter spooling up. Snakes don't have health insurance either.

• KennyP, Utah Smitty, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#26 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:51 AM

I guess we tend to hate things that we don't fully understand.

Not the case at all. I don't hate women...
  • MH81, Utah Smitty, David Brown and 4 others have said thanks

#27 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Oh, for goodNess sake, grow a pair.
(Unlike me who squeals like Bruce Jenner at a shoe sale and looks for someone to hide behind everytime I see one.)

Found this fella/lass today
Was running the dozer and has to move him/her to safety.
Rat or corn snake, near as I know.
Eat up buddy, eat up.

Neither. Do you have water close by? That's looks like a common water snake. It has too thick of a body to be a corn or black snake.

David, keep it as they are very beneficial.

After saying that though, I have had to re-home two black snakes out of my barn, caught them in my baby chickens' pen trying to eat my baby chicks.

My son picked up this little beauty yesterday

hog island.jpg

hog island 1.jpg

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Neither. Do you have water close by? That's looks like a common water snake. It has too thick of a body to be a corn or black snake.

No.  Actually we refer to this place as dry gultch because we have such a lack of water.  I'm on a hill so I have no stream or creek nearby.  There is a small pond about a quarter mile away but it comes with a much bigger and more inviting barn right near it.

• KennyP said thank you

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Not the case at all. I don't hate women...

:bigrofl:
  • David Brown said thank you

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 10:52 AM

No.  Actually we refer to this place as dry gultch because we have such a lack of water.  I'm on a hill so I have no stream or creek nearby.  There is a small pond about a quarter mile away but it comes with a much bigger and more inviting barn right near it.

That reply was actually for me quoting Alan and his picture. The snake he pictured looks to be a common water snake, not black or corn.