• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:11 AM

...without killing my hedge? I mowed and weedeated my place the other day. Then got out the hedge trimmers to give my hedges a fresh trim. The third hedge I was trimming on and unknown to me has a medium sized hive in it...which I painfully found out  defending their hive! They stung me on both ears, neck, arms, hands/fingers and my legs! I waited until night fall to retrieve my glasses and the trimmers.

What might be the best remedy to kill the hive but save the hedge from harmful chemicals ... and harmful stings to myself during my offensive "night attack" ? 

• CharlesDes said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:39 AM

I have excellent results with this stuff. May want to spray at night when they are all inside. It shoots a pretty fair distance!

• BNK said thank you

#3 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:03 AM

man that sucks.  little dickens think they own the territory, and they will defend it to the death....theirs OR yours!  to save the hedge you might want to wait until winter.  in the meantime they will snack on wasps, spiders, and cicadas for you.

• BNK said thank you

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Very carefully!

• BNK said thank you

#5 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:42 AM

I deal with a nest every year. Hornet blaster in a aerosol can. Do it early morning when they are all home. Follow instructions on can then run/hobble like hell!

• KennyP, boyscout862 and BNK have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Don't shine a flashlight at them.Found that out the hard way with a big yellow jacket nest.They really love it when you make vibrations with a mower or weedeater don't they?

Can't count how many times they got me while mowing or weed whacking over the years.

Best spray for hornets is that foaming stuff.It stops up the hole while you spray the crap out of them.Don't disturb the hive for a couple days after spraying then knock it down with a water hose or something with some Reach.Just in case lol.

I used Terro wasp and hornet spray.It's a nice big can and shoots a good 20 feet.

little demo of the stuff I used last time It works really good

Edited by EricFromPa, July 10, 2016 - 11:44 AM.

• olcowhand, WNYTractorTinkerer, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have excellent results with this stuff. May want to spray at night when they are all inside. It shoots a pretty fair distance!

47,100 dielectric volts...huh?! Yes I am planning on a night assult mission, late night for sure. Thanks Kenny!  

• KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#8 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Flame thrower
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#9 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Don't shine a flashlight at them.Found that out the hard way with a big yellow jacket nest.They really love it when you make vibrations with a mower or weedeater don't they?

Can't count how many times they got me while mowing or weed whacking over the years.

Best spray for hornets is that foaming stuff.It stops up the hole while you spray the crap out of them.Don't disturb the hive for a couple days after spraying then knock it down with a water hose or something with some Reach.Just in case lol.

I used Terro wasp and hornet spray.It's a nice big can and shoots a good 20 feet.

little demo of the stuff I used last time It works really good

The odd thing about their attack was there was no attack when driving the lawn tractor mowing, nor weedeating but when the hedge trimmers were used they made their attack! I checked out the video and I like the foaming, sticking action. I just hope it will not harm the hedge, I'd like to keep it unharmed if possible.  

#10 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 02:20 PM

The hedge will grow back. I say nuke the little #\&€=ers!
I use the 20' spray on them (look for a generic brand and check the strength) and on fire ant mounds.
Ain't enough room here for them'ns an' me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  • KennyP, KC9KAS and BNK have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:49 PM

I pretty much don't like killing stuff if I don't have to. However, I've been working on my roof, reshingling. The other day, I was working on the south side when I see wasps flying around under the eaves I was working on. I had to do something. I went and got some of that 25 ft. foamy kills on contact stuff and it worked fast. A few of the little beasts were gone when I attacked and as soon as they landed, they got sick, too.

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:26 PM

The above recommendations are probably best if you want to keep the hedge, out here in the country we have thrown a cup of gas on the nest followed by a match and run like heck, I have used starting spray on wasps before.

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Chlorinated brake cleaner will kill them instantly, they will drop right out of the air on contact. The newer formula doesn't faze them.
  • ducky and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Chlorinated brake cleaner will kill them instantly, they will drop right out of the air on contact. The newer formula doesn't faze them.

10-4 On that.

#15 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 11:32 PM

10-4 On that.

Like I said, starting fluid!

• toppop52 said thank you