Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Just got back from a road trip today...

bolens tractor large frame 1250 hydrostatic wisconsin s-14d 14hp 48in deck 42in sno-caster

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 12:49 PM

If the tires are not going to be filled, then yes, you will feel a more bumpy ride when you're on a hard surface.  Mine have weights and are also filled so it's a fairly smooth ride as they conform to the terrain quite a bit.
Not going to be near that bumpy [as running tyre chains], even without weights and fluid.
Turfs may just be for you then.  Turf tires are not only easier to chain up than AGs but from what I understand, are actually more effective with chains on in the snow than AGs as well.

Okay, good to know. I do have rear wheel weights for the tractor that I will be using. How do you fill the tyres though and what do you fill them with? Sand? Water? I wouldn't want water to freeze in the tyre in the winter though. Do you still fill it with air as well or are you supposed to just use whatever you are filling the tyre with?  I have never tried that before on any of my tractors.  Also, like I said, I don't have any tyre chains for the 1250 right now, so...  Most likely I will just run this with whatever tyres are on it and I will not use any chains with it.

If the AGs may be a bit bumpy due to the tread design, my other thought was to use a still aggressive treaded tyre, but one with a tread design that looks like it might provide a slightly smoother ride at least. One thought was to run skid steer rear tyres on it as they make them in the right size for this tractor:

Carlisle Trac Chief.jpg OR: HAL5-13484578021.jpg

These seem to still provide a nice deep tread, but the tread also seems to cover more surface area of the tyre, so it may provide a little bit smoother of a ride versus the V-tread on the AG tyres. (I could be mistaken though.) One issue with these though is that I think these style of tyres are even MORE expensive than the regular AG tyres!  :wallbanging:

I'll keep looking though to see what is out there and if I can find a decent tyre that will do what I need it to do for a decent price.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, tractor, large frame, 1250, hydrostatic, wisconsin, s-14d, 14hp, 48in deck, 42in sno-caster