Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just got back from a road trip today...

bolens tractor large frame 1250 hydrostatic wisconsin s-14d 14hp 48in deck 42in sno-caster

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 09:52 AM

Is this the one you need the air cleaner for?

Yes, clearly, as there is no air cleaner assembly on the engine right now...  Ya gotta love the wire mesh screen that they screwed over the carburetor intake to keep "the big stuff" out of the carburetor at least!  lol...   I was surprised that this thing ran at all like it is as I was sure that the carburetor was going to be filled with mud from running it without an air cleaner for any length of time...

Also, I'll have to post some more pictures of it later on this evening when I get back home, but I don't think that this has the original carburetor on it either.  Do you know what carburetor this engine was supposed to have on it?  I mean, like I said it runs, but it is missing the choke cable on the tractor and the carburetor just has a manual choke lever on it.  I'm also not sure if the OEM air cleaner will bolt onto this carburetor or not (hence why it was taken off and discarded...)

I'm sure I will also need a LOT more parts for this eventually over the course of restoring it...  Do you stock many LF parts at all or mostly just stuff for the Tube Frames and EK's?  Thanks, Doc!

Edited by MailmAn, July 11, 2016 - 09:56 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Very nice find & enjoyed the story as well.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it as I put a lot of time into my storytelling, lol... (Especially since I had to write that whole thing out TWICE, which was why it was so late Sunday night by the time I finally posted it. I have no clue what happened, but I was doing some other things at the same time I was writing my post and then my web browser locked up and crashed, losing everything I had spent about an hour writing! I was soooo pissed, but rather than get upset and give up, I started over from scratch and re-wrote the whole thing again. I definitely wasn't anticipating staying up all night until after midnight writing my post...)

That was great that the guy made a deal with you via email rather than making you wait until the auction ended...very clever on your part too.

Yes, I was very happy with how it turned out as well. I'm guessing the guy had no problem selling it before the auction ended since no one had bid on it for $300.  Plus, since he sold it outside of eBay, he got to keep the whole $300, rather than only $270 after eBay took all of their fees out. (Actually, more like $250 to $260, after both eBay and PayPal were done taking their respective cuts...) But at least he sold it so it was out of his hair and he was happy to see it go to someone who wanted to fix it up and restore it to its former glory...

I don't know why but seeing GT's on the trailer going to their new home is exciting.

Yes, it definitely is, especially when you're the one taking it home, lol!
Also, that's not a trailer that the tractor is sitting on...  :smilewink:

Edited by MailmAn, July 11, 2016 - 10:13 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 853 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 11:22 AM

Nice save! I enjoyed reading the story- it's always fun to hear how we come across our machines.

Keep us posted on the resurrection!

• MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 11:25 AM

yah that 1250 should be a 12HP Wisconsin. I'll say that tractor looks all original. It is so nice to find all original because maybe no one has gone in there and totally messed up stuff. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

• MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Alright then, I finally got all the pictures from yesterday edited and uploaded, so let's get to it!  First, here are some pictures of the tractor after I unloaded it.  The rear tire that WAS still mounted on the rim (albeit flat) managed to break the bead while unloading it and moving it around.  I am also not sure if I somehow damaged the tractor at all when unloading it or if it was already damaged when I bought it, but I saw some problems with the tractor that I'm not too happy about.  But, I'll get into that in more detail in a second.  First, here are some pictures of the tractor after I unloaded it and moved it around the best I could to a spot where I could work on it but it was also still out of the way enough that I could leave it there for a while:

Bolens1250-20160709_08.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_09.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_10.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_11.jpg

I also noticed that the controls on this tractor seem odd to me, like they were replaced at some point by a previous owner who wanted longer controls for some reason. I started looking through the manuals for the 1250 tractor and the attachment lift lever and the transmission shift lever both look much shorter in all the manuals than they do on my tractor. The transmission shift lever especially looks like it has an extension screwed onto it or something and doesn't look right to me.

Bolens1250-20160709_17.jpg

I also noticed that the rear fender is missing the mounting bolts and isn't attached under the seat anymore. I was wondering why the fender was flopping around so much and I couldn't push it from the back as I just kept pushing the fender up, lol...

Bolens1250-20160709_19.jpg

I'm also not sure if the board that is zip tied underneath the fender is supposed to be there or if someone put it there to get a bit more clearance between the fender and the rear tires.

Bolens1250-20160709_20.jpg

Now, while I was walking around the tractor checking everything out (and taking pictures, of course), I noticed a MAJOR problem that I'm not sure if *I* somehow caused when unloading the tractor or if it was already broken before I bought it. Regardless, it is broken now and I'm not happy about it and I'm not sure how I can try to fix it:

Bolens1250-20160709_12.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_13.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_15.jpg

That's right, somehow the MAIN front support broke and was sheared right off. This seems like it would be hard to do as it is a solid piece of heavy cast iron and it must have taken quite a beating in order to shear it clear off on both sides. In any event, since this is both the main support for the front axle as well as the PTO, the tractor cannot be used as it is until this support is either replaced or repaired somehow. (I'm leaning heavily towards replacing it as I'm not sure if it could even be welded or anything or if it would be strong enough if it was able to be repaired.

Here is a shot of the front end between the hood showing how far out the front support can be moved out. NOT GOOD!!

Bolens1250-20160709_14.jpg

I'm also not sure what this is leftover from? It looks like either part of a broken off muffler mounting bracket or possibly part of the muffler heat shield that is missing.

Bolens1250-20160709_16.jpg

Now, as I said, parts of this tractor seem like they were modified or otherwise just cobbled together by a previous owner. One such item that I am skeptical of is the carburetor on the engine. Take for instance that the factory choke cable was removed for some reason:

Bolens1250-20160709_18.jpg

Could that have been removed since the carburetor on the engine now only has a manual choke that can't be cable operated? Also, the carburetor on the engine is a Walbro, but I thought that the old Wisconsin engines primarily used the Zenith updraft carburetors. So, is this not the correct carburetor for this engine then?

Bolens1250-20160709_24.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_25.jpg

Speaking of the engine, this seems to be a point of contention among some of the Bolens experts on this forum with this tractor. The seller told me that this tractor has a 14HP Wisconsin engine on it. However, I have heard from multiple sources on these forums that the 1250 tractor only came with a 12½ HP engine. Well, so here is the proof right here then about what model tractor this is as well as what model engine is in it:

Bolens1250-20160709_26.jpg

Here is a close up of the Bolens Serial Number tag. It looks to still be in excellent condition, especially considering the shape the rest of the tractor is in. However, it does seem odd to me considering the condition of the Model Number stamped on it that the Serial Number is non-existent! I wonder if for some reason the Serial Number wasn't stamped on the sticker at the factory?

Bolens1250-20160709_27.jpg

Now, here is the all important picture of the Serial Number tag on the engine:

Bolens1250-20160709_28b.jpg

I know it is still hard to read even after I tried to clean the tag off. I still have no idea what the number in the middle of the tag is supposed to be. The number on the far left is the Model Number and the number on the far right is the Serial Number.
Here is a close-up of the Model Number on the tag:

Bolens1250-20160709_28c.jpg

Yes folks, it would appear to be that this is definitely a Wisconsin S-14D engine on this tractor, which is a 14HP engine. Now, I'm not sure if this engine was installed on this tractor at the factory or if the original engine maybe died at some point and it was replaced either by a previous owner or perhaps even by a Bolens Dealer with whatever spare engine they had available. Another interesting theory that was posed by the seller was that this tractor could have been built later in the year and the factory could have run out of the correct engine for this tractor, so they just threw on whatever was available at the time to get it out the door. I looked up the Model Number of this tractor (197-03) and this appears to be a 1969 model year tractor, which was the last year that Bolens made the 1250 before switching over to the 1476, 1477, and 1886 model tractors in the early 1970s. Bolens also happened to make a one year only model in 1969 - the 1455. This tractor did come with the Wisconsin S-14D engine on it. So, this lends credibility to the fact that perhaps Bolens ran out of the S-12D engines in the middle of a production run of 1250's and instead were forced to send out a whole bunch of 1250 tractors with the 14HP engine installed in them that were supposed to go in the 1455 tractors. Or, this could even be a one-off production mistake that some factory worker accidentally installed the wrong engine on and no one caught it! We may never know the truth of what really happened with this tractor...

So, otherwise, here are a few more photos and some nit-picky issues I found with the tractor. Here is a shot of the rear transaxle. I'm assuming the black plug there is the transaxle fill hole, but so then what is the plug/bolt above it for? Could you also fill it at that hole or is that bolt used to mount certain rear attachments with or a rear PTO or something?

Bolens1250-20160709_21.jpg

I also have two clevis pins in the left side rear lower attachment mounting bracket, but there is only one in the right side. Do you ever even really need two of them on each side to mount any rear attachments or is one of those pins on the left side not needed for anything?

Bolens1250-20160709_22.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_23.jpg

I'm also not sure how the rear mounted attachments would work with the hydraulic lift system on this tractor. It appears that this tractor has a [small] 3-Point Hitch mounting system, but there isn't a typical lift cylinder or arm to lift a rear mounted 3-Point attachment that you would expect to find on other larger tractors, like a Ford 8N, for example. So, how did Bolens make this setup work then and can you mount other 3-Point attachments to this tractor successfully or not really?

I also noticed that the left side headlight retaining ring is broken and missing two mounting clips to secure the light in place:

Bolens1250-20160709_29.jpg

There were also a wide assortment of mismatched clevis pins of varying lengths and diameters used to mount the mower deck on the tractor, like this one in the front mounting bracket that is obviously much too small:

Bolens1250-20160709_31.jpg

I was also looking at the left foot pedal, which most people think is just a foot rest, but according to the owner's manual is actually a "cruise control" pedal to maintain a constant speed of the tractor over long distances. I'm still not 100% sure on how it is supposed to work, but it certainly looks pretty rusted up and like it won't move freely without a fight!

Bolens1250-20160709_30.jpg

Now, actually the most difficult task that I accomplished on Sunday wasn't even moving the tractor around with 3 flat tires (although that was pretty difficult as well, don't get me wrong...), but rather it was trying to remove the mower deck from the tractor with 3 flat tires! Man, what a pain in the @$$ that was, especially in the heat! I worked up quite a sweat trying to tackle removing the mower deck. Further complicating the process was the fact that the hydraulic attachment lift wasn't working and it was stuck on the lowest setting as well as those annoying rear wheels on the mower deck itself that wouldn't clear the rear wheels on the tractor. It was especially difficult to get anything to clear the rear tire that was flat, so I ended up having to jack up the whole rear end of the tractor in order to get enough room to wrestle the mower deck out from under the tractor. I have no idea if this process is any easier on a tractor with 4 properly inflated tires and a functioning attachment lift system, but from what I just experienced, I'm thinking, "Bolens HUSKY Tractors have the fastest attachment switch system in the industry" MY @$$!!! lol... I think I spent at least an hour trying to remove the mower deck!

Bolens1250-20160709_32.jpg

Then, once I had the mower deck removed, I decided that a good first step would be to replace all 4 tires on this tractor so that I could at least push it around to move it until I can get it running again. So, I pulled the rear wheel weights off of the tractor (which were HEAVY suckers, let me tell you!) and then pulled all 4 wheels off of the tractor. The only one that was a real pain and fought me was the left front wheel. I had to use a sledgehammer to pound it off with. I found the inner wheel bearing was welded onto the spindle and wouldn't come off. I have no idea how that wheel even turned at all since the bearing was seized up on it. The right side wheel was fine though, so I'm not sure if the one wheel just ran low on grease or something and it seized up? My other thought is that the exhaust is right there too, so I'm wondering if the heat from the exhaust dried out the grease in the wheel and seized the bearing up?

Those front tires were both definitely SHOT though and were dry rotted really badly. One tire had both sidewalls blown out on it and ripped:

Bolens1250-20160709_33.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_34.jpg

The other front tire had the tread itself disintegrated and falling apart on it:

Bolens1250-20160709_35.jpg

So, I finally wrapped up for the day and left the tractor sitting as a familiar sight for Schenectady or Troy around here - up on jack stands after the wheels have been stolen off of your vehicle!

Bolens1250-20160709_36.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_37.jpg

Hopefully if I can get some time after work this week or perhaps next weekend, I'll try to completely dismount the tires from the wheels and then wire wheel and sand them down to get them ready to either paint or powder coat. (I haven't made up my mind yet what I want to do to the wheels yet.) I figure if I need to get all new tires for it anyways, I might as well make the wheels look like new first so at least that will be all done and out of the way. I know it will look weird to put brand new tires on freshly painted wheels on the rest of that tractor looking the way it is, but I guess I gotta start somewhere, right?

Stay tuned for more updates to come in the [hopefully] near future!
  • Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Well looks like you got your work cut out for you, Judging by that "Air filter" someone put on there looks like they didnt want to spend a dime and ran the machine on wire and duct tape till they quit using it.

The cast looks like a fresh break so it could have been done loading unloading, especially if you were pulling on the front end.

The engine is a S14D and is a replacement engine someone put in there, engine was made 1972 , It could also have been installed by a dealer if the original blew up.  These engines used both Walbro and Zenith carbs so this would be correct for your engine, a round air filter element was attached to it.

Its definitely a 1250 and you can also tell by the cast iron foot petals, the rest o the largeframes used steel petals.

Edited by Bolens 1000, July 12, 2016 - 09:33 AM.
spelling

• MailmAn, Austen and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Kevin:

The S14D - 342332 was used in the 1971 model 1477-01 tractor.

It is almost certain that the engine was replaced at some point in time.  ....It did not leave the Bolens factory installed in a 1250.

• MailmAn said thank you

#23 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Okay, so I have a re-powered 1250 then.  So, obviously someone ran this thing hard every day and put it away wet and did no maintenance on it until the original engine blew up on it and they swapped it out with a 14 HP.  Hey, I'll still take the extra 2 HP as I'm sure it will use all it can get, but it also makes the tractor not 100% original.  I guess do I lose points for that at a Bolens Concours d'Elegance show or something?  lol...

My other thought here is maybe the owner didn't like the measly 12½ HP engine that Bolens put in there and he wanted MOAR POWR!!!  So, he swapped in a 14 HP engine instead so he could run bigger implements with it or so he could mow faster with it or something. (Arrrggh, Arrrggh, Arrfff... [a-la Tim Taylor])

So, is there a different air cleaner then for this engine with the Walbro carburetor than originally came on the S-12D engine the tractor came with?  I'm assuming then that the correct S-12D air cleaner won't fit on this engine?  Is there any way to hook up a choke cable to this carburetor too or I'm stuck with a manual choke lever you can't adjust from the seat?

I'm also pretty sure that the fuel tank on this thing isn't original to the tractor either (although I could be wrong).  It looks a lot taller (although it does clear the hood, but it looks like refueling it with a gas can would be pretty tricky...) and it is made out of plastic.  It also has a gas cap on it with the fuel level float attached and a gauge in the cap.  It is also missing the battery hold-down bracket, of course.  (I swear those are the first things to go for some reason as people just throw them away and then use bungee cords to try to hold the battery in the tractor.)

Edited by MailmAn, July 12, 2016 - 11:03 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Tank looks to be from a later largeframe, originals were metal

Here's the air cleaner that would have went on the walbro (Take a look at the pictures)

http://bolenspartsan...2d-s14d-tra12d/

Choke cable can be attached using the original style cable

• Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks

#25 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 34 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:22 PM

I don't mean to rub salt in a wound, but I suspect you managed to break the front frame spreader on the trailer, probably the trip home.  Looking at your pics on the trailer, you have chain hooks to the front axle bar, the arrangement of which probably broke the casting due to no give in the chains and hooks.  The breaks are also not rusty, and cast iron will take on at least a patina of rust very quickly, suggesting the breaks are new. 

I picked up a 1250 just a couple of weeks ago, and brought it home on a trailer about 10 miles.  I had to think how I got it home with out breaking the same casting, as the way you loaded it, I would have been inclined to tie down in the same area, although I use straps.  Finally remembered I had the back wheels against the front rail on the trailer to get weight forward, and tied down to the rear axle. 

Enjoy your project!

Regards,

Doug

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#26 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 853 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the very detailed progress report! It's fun to read your thoughts and it's almost like being there in person with you assessing the condition while looking it over. I need to make a bag of popcorn. :)

I have to agree with what the others have said about the break in the cast. I thought the same thing when I saw it; it does look fresh and if it was something that had happened long ago it would have rusted over by now.

The engine, to me, judging by its patina, looks like it has been in the tractor most its life so my guess is that it was re-powered early on for whatever reason. That's my guess. I'd do a compression check on the motor as I would be concerned the cylinder could be dusted from no air filter.

If the tank is plastic, it is most likely out of an HT and from one or two of your shots, it does appear that's what it is. Yes, the tanks for these are very tall. It looks like they installed some sort of metal shield on the side of it too to block heat from the muffler.

No, the wood under the pan is definitely not original.

From what I see, the hood and fender appear to be in good condition and not bent up, dented, etc. That's always good. The grill looks straight too and it's not uncommon at all to see some of the louvers twisted or damaged.

I hope that you see potential in it and give it new life! :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, July 12, 2016 - 04:01 PM.

• MailmAn and Paulgo have said thanks

#27 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 06:37 AM

If it makes you feel any better the front axle was broken on one side prior to you transporting it. The driver side was broken and had a make shift band aid patch holding it to the main frame rail. You probably broke the other side during transport but in the end it would have to be replaced anyway. If you can resurrect it that is great and if not you still have a great parts tractor. Good luck on the engine hopefully it did not suck up a bunch of dust and dirt.

• MailmAn said thank you

#28 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hello
Yes looks to be a bit of a project. Some points to ponder if I may :
Strongly suggest to try to get the engine running before any major investment into the unit, next would be the function of the hydro, both can be accomplished as it sits awaiting new rubber.
If the pics of the tractor on the trailer chained down are upon arrival home the axle bolster looks no worse for wear and I don't believe you hurt it with your tie down method. If it had to drop and roll off the trailer I suspect with two flat fronts the bolster took the brunt of the shock and was broken at that time, don't beat yourself up to bad because unfortunately the bolster is a bit of a weak link , it could have been cracked in several places and the trip or the unloading finished the job. Rick Show ( BlackJackJake) one of or site sponsors has a good used 1250 bolster, if you want the heavier version used on the later Large Frames I probably can help you out. The later large frames also incorporated a "L" brace behind the front axle to lessen the side to side torque under use the axle gets, unless it becomes a full Monty resto I strongly suggest installing a pair.
The ears on the rear axle are for various attachments the two sets of holes come into use when attaching a rear tiller (for one) it mounts with the bottom set and pins go thru the top set to keep it from bouncing up and your tiller drive shaft wearing a groove in your axle casting or worse. The plastic gas tank and heat shield are from a later model Large Frame (HT20-23) the 1250 would of had a metal one. Good luck as you delve into your latest project

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, July 13, 2016 - 10:37 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, MailmAn and Paulgo have said thanks

#29 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 10:53 AM

If it makes you feel any better the front axle was broken on one side prior to you transporting it. The driver side was broken and had a make shift band aid patch holding it to the main frame rail.

Where did you see that?  I don't even see anything in the pics that I posted that would indicate that the front axle was broken and/or was patched anywhere...

#30 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 11:37 AM

Where did you see that?  I don't even see anything in the pics that I posted that would indicate that the front axle was broken and/or was patched anywhere...

The patch is seen in this picture. You can clearly see that the bolster was not attached to the frame rail. So my guess is that the broken bolster on the passenger side is a fresh break during your travels but the driver side was already broken requiring a replacement anyway. Those bolsters are not too hard to find as stated in this post. I changed out two of them on my HT23 over the years. Take everyones advise and see if the engine and hydro are working properly before you put too much $$ into it. It's a very powerful machine when running. Best of luck with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• patch.JPG

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Rock farmer have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, tractor, large frame, 1250, hydrostatic, wisconsin, s-14d, 14hp, 48in deck, 42in sno-caster