Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just got back from a road trip today...

bolens tractor large frame 1250 hydrostatic wisconsin s-14d 14hp 48in deck 42in sno-caster

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Well, I just got back home after spending all day on my latest road trip.  I must have the same luck as Old Buzzard though when it comes to road trips as it was raining like hell out for a good portion of the drive...  :(   I may have gotten a little wet, but I wasn't going to be deterred today, lol!

Unfortunately, it was raining too much when I got there to take any pictures and I just wanted to get everything loaded and get back on the road headed home.  So, pictures will have to wait for now...  Hopefully I can get some shots of it later on.

Don't change that dial now!!  Stay tuned for more details!!!

Edited by MailmAn, July 11, 2016 - 06:25 AM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, OldBuzzard and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hurry, I can't wait for photos!

• MailmAn and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hurry, I can't wait for photos!

<<sigh>>  Figures...  lol!

All you people want are pictures, pictures, pictures!!  And once you get some pictures, it's never enough!  Then you just want even more pictures!  :smilewink:

• KennyP, KC9KAS, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Did someone say pitures

We love pictures

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Did you take them yet...don't see em. Congrats looking forward to enjoying your find.

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 342 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Keeping that thing in ice will keep a poor man poor. Don

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Well its morning :flipping_flapjacks: wheres  the pics :tapping_fingers: :watch_over_fence:

• KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:40 AM

It's almost time for church. I guess I have to wait until this afternoon now.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#9 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Well its morning, wheres the pics?

Yeah, yeah, I know... The g/f wanted to go out to dinner and a movie last night after I got home, so I had to take a shower really quick and go out to dinner. I didn't get home from the movies until after midnight and I was dead tired at that point and went right to bed.

Don't worry, I'll get something up soon at least...

I guess patience isn't a virtue around here for a lot of you guys, lol...

Edited by MailmAn, July 10, 2016 - 08:49 AM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#10 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Come on man, what are you waiting for!!!

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 11:35 PM

Okay, so sorry it took so long for me to finally get some pictures uploaded here.  Like I said before, it was raining too much when I went to pick up my latest find to take any pictures of it before or while I was loading it.  However, I ended up having to pull over at a rest area on the expressway anyways to readjust and tighten the ratchet straps as a couple of them came loose while driving, so I managed to snap a few pictures of the tractor then as it had let up raining at least for a little bit.  But, before I get to the pictures, let me give you a little back story on this tractor.

I found this tractor last week up for auction on eBay.  The seller was asking $300 for the tractor as is.  He said that it didn't run currently but that it did run before about 4 or 5 years ago when it was last moved.  Three out of the four tires were flat and wouldn't hold air anymore.  It had been sitting for a long time and he just needed it gone to clear some room.  So, I watched the auction and I waited.  No one had bid on it all week, so when there was 1 or 2 days left on the auction, I E-mailed the seller and told him that I was interested in this tractor.  I said that it looked like it would need a LOT of work to get running again though, so I could only offer him around $150 for it.  He responded back to me saying that the lowest he would go on it was $200, so I replied back saying that I was okay with that price and I could be there Saturday to pick it up.  He sent me his address and I headed out Saturday morning to go pick it up.  The seller lived way up north in the Adirondacks about 2 hours away from Albany, just a bit further north of where Ticonderoga is, but not that far east.

When I finally got there (after some delays and a couple of issues that came up with my truck on the way up there), I saw that he had already pulled the tractor out of the back and had it sitting up by the road for easy access to load it right up onto the truck.  He showed me around the tractor to check it all out.  He had even already found a battery to put on it before I got there and he sprayed some ether in the carburetor, jumped the solenoid, and the starter turned over and the engine slowly sputtered to life!  He ran the engine while I was there for about a minute or so and then shut it down.  I said, "SOLD!", lol!  Then I got to talking with him about Bolens tractors for a little bit and I told him about some of the other tractors that I own currently, so then I asked him if he happened to have any other Bolens stuff lying around at all.  He said that he had a 1050 tube frame tractor that was in fairly decent shape (or at least better than the tractor that I was buying...), but it was just the tractor only as he didn't have a mower deck or any other attachments for it.  I decided to pass on that one though for now since it was buried and I didn't feel like making him dig it out for me in the rain.  However, he did say that he had a big red snow blower as well, but he wasn't sure if it was even a Bolens attachment or not, let alone if it would fit the tractor I was buying, but he said I was welcome to take a look at it.

We walked around to the back of his yard to a three walled shed where he showed me what looked to be a big red Bolens Sno-Caster attachment that was made exactly for the tractor I was buying!  I would guess that it is an 18044 42" Sno-Caster made for the early Large Frames.  I told him that if I'm buying that tractor, then I have to have this to go along with it, so I told him I would have no problem giving him the $300 he was originally asking for the tractor, so long as I get this Sno-Caster with it as well.  He was fine with that, so I payed him 3 large bills for everything and we each picked up a side of the Sno-Caster and walked it to the truck.  (On a side note, he also had a few other cool toys in the shed, including a really old looking gas engine powered reel mower that looked pretty neat.  I asked him about it and he said that he thought that it was around a 1945 to 1947 reel mower with a Clinton engine on it.  I asked him if it ran, but he said that it didn't and it was missing some parts to make it work.  Still, pretty cool and not something you see every day.  But anyways, I digress...)  I loaded everything up onto the truck in the rain, strapped it all down, and was headed back on my way home in less than an hour, pleased as could be with my latest acquisitions.  I arrived back home around 6pm, unloaded everything really quickly, got cleaned up, and then headed out to the movies around quarter after 8pm or so.

In any event, I'm sure NONE OF YOU care about the story at all, but I just wanted to share it anyways and to make you all work for the pictures, lol!  So, without further ado, here are the pictures of the tractor I bought after it was already loaded onto the truck while I was stopped at a rest area on I-87 South in between the raindrops:

Bolens1250-20160709_02.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_01.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_03.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_04.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_05.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_06.jpg

Bolens1250-20160709_07.jpg

In case you haven't guessed it by now, I ended up buying a 1969 model year Bolens 1250 Large Frame tractor. One of the primary reasons I was interested in this tractor wasn't even that it was a Large Frame though. I have just always wanted a Hydrostatic Bolens tractor as every other Bolens in my fleet right now is a stick-shift tractor. The fact that it also has a hydraulic attachment lift rather than a manual lift lever is a nice selling point as well. The seller told me that this tractor has a 14HP Wisconsin engine on it, but I would have figured that Bolens would have put a 12HP engine on this model tractor. (The model numbers don't always match up with the engine used on the tractor, but still like my 850 has an 8HP Wisconsin on it, a 1050 has a 10HP engine on it, so a 1250 should have a 12HP engine on it, right? But then again, both the Bolens 900 and the 1000 have 8HP engines on them.  Hmmmm...)

I spent most of the day today trying to move around a big, heavy tractor with flat tires on it, checking it all out, and starting to do some work on it in the hopes of getting it working again. I forgot my camera when I was working on it today, so I took some pictures with my phone instead. Once I get them off my phone and edited, I will post up the progress I made on it today. But it is late now and I'm exhausted as I've had a hell of a long weekend, so time for bed now as I have to get up early to go to work to-morrow.

Edited by MailmAn, July 11, 2016 - 07:00 AM.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Nice tractor and blower.
And yes, I did read the story.
Never hurts to ask, huh?

#13 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Nice tractor and blower.
And yes, I did read the story.
Never hurts to ask, huh?

Thanks, Thanks a lot, and Yes, definitely!  Especially since the Sno-Caster wasn't even listed in the original auction!  I would have never got it if I didn't ask if he had any other Bolens tractors or attachments there.  I REALLY could have cleaned up too by taking that 1050 home with me too, but like I said, it was too much of a hassle in the rain and honestly I didn't bring enough cash with me either.  I had enough to secure the Sno-Caster, but I probably would have needed at least another $200 to get that 1050 as well.  I guess it pays to be prepared when going on a tractor buying expedition, huh?

Edited by MailmAn, July 11, 2016 - 07:53 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:05 AM

oh boy looks like another project! :D

Is this the one you need the air cleaner for?

• MailmAn said thank you

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Very nice find & enjoyed the story as well. That was great that the guy made a deal with you via email rather than making you wait until the auction ended...very clever on your part too. I don't know why but seeing Gt's on the trailer going to their new home is exciting. Thanks for the follow up late last night.Congrats
  • MailmAn and Paulgo have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, tractor, large frame, 1250, hydrostatic, wisconsin, s-14d, 14hp, 48in deck, 42in sno-caster