• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:57 PM

I just got a 446 from a guy who haven't used it in a few years. It runs good at Idol but unfortunately starts to stutter and stall when the throttle is raised. It is almost like it is running lean? I have changed the gas and have completed a full tune up. I am guessing the carb needs to be rebuilt. Where can I find a kit to to rebuild? Maybe NAPA? If so what is the part #. I also have a carb from a b43g 18hp motor out of a john Deere 318. Any other suggestions for fixing the problem. Attached is a photo of the current carb.
Oh ya - it ran great when I test drove it a few days ago!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by tom tractor, July 09, 2016 - 05:04 PM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 05:31 PM

It does sound like it could be lean. Follow the troubleshooting guide in the engine manual. It will help isolate the problem. Our sponsors and NAPA have the kits but, NAPA does seem to be getting out of it. My last carb kit from NAPA took several days to get because inventory was very low. Good Luck, Rick

• tom tractor said thank you

#3 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 05:15 AM

The previous owner rebuilt the carb in 2012. I think next I will take the air cleaner off - and try some carb cleaner. And then adjust the main jet. It's just very strange that it ran great a few days ago.

#4 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 08:08 AM

So I took the carb air filter out and saw that one I raised the throttle the carb started to spray gas into the carb. It seemed like it started to flood out the motor. So I adjusted the main jet to be very lean. Same thing happened. It flooded out. At idol it runs good with low gas flow. Suggestions?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:33 AM

That looks like a DD carb on the Onan. May need to take the top off the carb and check the float level plus see if the bowl has trash in it. If he had ethanol gas in the tank, that carb may need another cleaning!

• tom tractor said thank you