Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 10:53 PM

A 5000 btu window unit is less than $ 85 and dehumidifies the air at the same time. I picked one up in a Boy Scout yard sale for $ 20.

Boy, I wish I knew where to buy a unit like that for $85!!  I wanted to cool down my garage so I could work there in the afternoons.  It's 630 sf with 12' ceiling.  I was told minimum 10,000 BTU...the cheapest refrigeration unit of that size was almost $300, and the evaporative coolers (swamp coolers which are basically a squirrel cage fan, a small plastic centrifugal pump and some treated paper pads) were the same or more!!

I finally bought a used window mount swamp cooler, built the frame, ran the water supply and and $325 later I plugged it in... helps a lot, but I found I still need another fan to help circulate the air.

Swamp coolers only work in low humidity areas because they rely on evaporation of the water in them to absorb the heat from the incoming air.  If a person lives in a high humidity area, they won't work at all... when we lived in Alabama and Maryland, no one had a swamp cooler... didn't even know what one was.

Smitty

• HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 04:58 AM

If it just blows some cooler air my way, I'll be happy! Not trying to get it real cold out there.

• Sawdust said thank you

#18 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:09 AM

We have a swamp cooler on our home. A week or so ago it was near 90* outside and I stuck my test thermometer in the cooler grille and the air coming out was 60*.

Mike

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Another idea, where a solar powered recirculating pump can be incorporated in the system, cool well water, a automotive, truck, whatever, radiator in the system and solar powered fan blowing air through it.

Just the other day I saw a product similar to what you are describing.  It is A/C for a motorcycle or really any where to cool you down.  There is a small cooler with a hose that comes off it and goes to a vest that has tubes running through it.  You put ice in the cooler with 18 oz of water.  The cooler has a small pump that circulates the water through the vest.  Pretty neat idea but also quite pricey.  I think their pump runs off a battery but I like the solar idea better.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:02 PM

I ain't worried about humidity as we already have that. If it blows cooler air, then I'm happy!

Using the frozen jugs should give you cold air, regardless of humidity.

Although born and mostly raised in Utah, I've lived in Nebraska, Kentucky, Alabama and Maryland... I always had a hard time with the humidity... in Nebraska we didn't have A/C so the only way I could sleep was on top of the sheets, no blanket, and a fan blowing on me all night...

Smitty

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Print this, and hang it on the wall.

That should make you feel about 5*F cooler.

DSCF0339.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, Utah Smitty and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Just the other day I saw a product similar to what you are describing.  It is A/C for a motorcycle or really any where to cool you down.  There is a small cooler with a hose that comes off it and goes to a vest that has tubes running through it.  You put ice in the cooler with 18 oz of water.  The cooler has a small pump that circulates the water through the vest.  Pretty neat idea but also quite pricey.  I think their pump runs off a battery but I like the solar idea better.

That'd work well when you're out on your tractor and the sun is turning you into a lobster...

I got something like that for me knee after surgery... put ice and water in it, and it pumps to a pad that can be strapped to the knee.  It runs off 110 VAC, but it has a wall wart so I imagine it could be adapted to 12v...

Smitty

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 05:34 AM

Put what jugs I had frozen in yesterday for a trial run. I have 2 more of the 2.5 liter jugs now to add in when they get frozen.

DSCN1945.JPG     DSCN1946.JPG

Here it is an hours later.

DSCN1947.JPG     DSCN1948.JPG

Not a lot of difference, but a help. Think the other jugs will help as it will fill the box.

• Utah Smitty, HDWildBill and toppop52 have said thanks

#24 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Put what jugs I had frozen in yesterday for a trial run. I have 2 more of the 2.5 liter jugs now to add in when they get frozen.

attachicon.gifDSCN1945.JPG    attachicon.gifDSCN1946.JPG

Here it is an hours later.

attachicon.gifDSCN1947.JPG    attachicon.gifDSCN1948.JPG

Not a lot of difference, but a help. Think the other jugs will help as it will fill the box.

You're a damn genius! :D

• KennyP said thank you

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 08:38 AM

You're a damn genius! :D

Not my idea, just my rendition of it.

#26 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 09:21 AM

The down side of that is when you put 5 gallons of hot water back in the freezer. It will run its a$$ off to refreeze it. It might be cheaper to run an AC. Nothing is free.

I looked into well water pump and dump too. the cost of running a pump and a few fans aint free but probably cheaper than an AC. I am still hung up trying to get through 16" of rock.

• KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted July 11, 2016 - 09:36 AM

The down side of that is when you put 5 gallons of hot water back in the freezer. It will run its a$$ off to refreeze it. It might be cheaper to run an AC. Nothing is free.

I looked into well water pump and dump too. the cost of running a pump and a few fans aint free but probably cheaper than an AC. I am still hung up trying to get through 16" of rock.

My issue is the garage does not have a lot of power feeding it. Just a couple 20 amp breakers. Once Aaron gets a meter installed for his 'house' in back, I'll have those breakers for out there.

#28 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 310 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have an idea I'm going to try out, I would like to solar power a shallow water pump. Well water in my area is around 50 degrees I want to set up a recirculating system using well water thru a coil enclosed in a insulated sheet metal duct with a solar powered fan inside. The spent water will be sent back to the ground via a vertical French drain next to the well point pipe and cool my insulated garage the plans are in the works.

don't forget condensation drains, you're going to dehumidify the air (maybe a lot depending on where you live and volume of your evaporation coil) the higher you mount you're coil the more efficient at cooling it will be, also exposed overhead coils will work passively, once the room is cool you could turn off the coil fan (think boiler heat upsidedown) and baseboard steam radiators are great for this type of application
  • HANKG said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,694 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have an idea I'm going to try out, I would like to solar power a shallow water pump. Well water in my area is around 50 degrees I want to set up a recirculating system using well water thru a coil enclosed in a insulated sheet metal duct with a solar powered fan inside. The spent water will be sent back to the ground via a vertical French drain next to the well point pipe and cool my insulated garage the plans are in the works.

I ahd a neighbor in Wichita that used his well to cool the house. Used an AC coil, but the return water he used in his garden. Kept his house mighty cool cheaply!

• olcowhand and HANKG have said thanks

#30 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 13, 2016 - 03:04 AM

Where I work, they used to run a sprinkler on the roof, kept the place very nice.. now we have less furnaces so it's not so bad, and the EPA isn't eyeballing us all summer long..