• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MMartineau44 OFFLINE  

MMartineau44
  • Member No: 73593
  • 48 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 02:38 PM

When I remove the flywheel on my Kohler Magnum 18 to replace the crankcase oil seal 3 magnets fell off. I heard some used epoxy to glue them back but is there something better I should use? Could that unbalance the flywheel ?

Thanks

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 03:02 PM

I just use any standard 2 part epoxy.  Don't use the "fast set" types, as I've found they don't bond as well as slow set.  It takes little glue, and it won't affect balance.  The key is "clean, clean, clean" before gluing.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 03:06 PM

Just glued all 6 magnets back on a 23hp kohler a week ago using JB Weld (don't use JB Quick) and 6 large heavy 1" paper clips.Total cost was $5 for the JB weld and $1.49 for a 10 pack of clips.Seems to be holding up fine so far.

It was quite the messy job back buttering the magnets with my finger and smearing a even coat the whole way around the inside of the flywheel.Clamp them and let them sit for a good 48 hours if you get it on pretty thick.24 hours after I did mine the outer surface of the JB weld was a little sticky but it was hard.After 48 hours it set up completly rock hard.

This fella is really really strange but has some good step by step walkthroughs.This video helped me quite a bit.

I wire wheeled the inside of the flywheel then roughened up the surface a bit with 100 grit paper.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 09, 2016 - 03:08 PM.

• ducky, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MMartineau44 OFFLINE  

MMartineau44
  • 48 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Just glued all 6 magnets back on a 23hp kohler a week ago using JB Weld (don't use JB Quick) and 6 large heavy 1" paper clips.Total cost was $5 for the JB weld and $1.49 for a 10 pack of clips.Seems to be holding up fine so far.

It was quite the messy job back buttering the magnets with my finger and smearing a even coat the whole way around the inside of the flywheel.Clamp them and let them sit for a good 48 hours if you get it on pretty thick.24 hours after I did mine the outer surface of the JB weld was a little sticky but it was hard.After 48 hours it set up completly rock hard.

This fella is really really strange but has some good step by step walkthroughs.This video helped me quite a bit.

I wire wheeled the inside of the flywheel then roughened up the surface a bit with 100 grit paper.

Thanks Eric, this is very helpfull

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I used JB Weld on the magnets for the M18 I have. Seems to be dong well. Just keep the magnets in the right order!

• Sawdust and MMartineau44 have said thanks

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 09:11 AM

I wonder if his name is 'Buck"?

• MH81 and MMartineau44 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I used JB Weld on the magnets for the M18 I have. Seems to be dong well. Just keep the magnets in the right order!

JB Weld also on my oh160
Verify you have even spacing before you glue
FWIW
  • KennyP and MMartineau44 have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Update.

Took the flywheel back off yesterday and inspected it thoroughly.No cracking or anything so far.

I wire wheeled it till it was shinny and smooth then roughed it up with 100 grit paper before gluing them down.Don't think they will ever come off again.

I use this tractor every couple days to pull stuff around with so she gets a decent work out.Now time to get rid of it lol.I need something a little older and heavier built.

Noticed 1 thing a couple years ago when JB welding the Grill back together on our 94 Merc grand marquis.It's spring loaded and has a good bit of tension on it. (small owl flew into it and snapped it in 1/2) If you apply it thick then heat it with a torch it turns into what looks and feels like Bacolite or really hard plastic.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 19, 2016 - 12:38 PM.

• limebuzz, KennyP and MMartineau44 have said thanks

#9 MMartineau44 OFFLINE  

MMartineau44
  • 48 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Thank you all for your good advise. I used JB Weld and the motor is working great. I've been using it for a month now without any issue.
thanks again!
  • limebuzz, Alc and KennyP have said thanks