• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Our local show is having as a feature next year, Heirloom Tractors and Equipment.
Simply put; any tractor or equipment that belonged to a family member.
Dad's Ferguson, Aunt Mary's Mower, Grandparents Cultivators, a special friend's hit-n-miss
We want to hear the stories these tractors and equipment know and we want to hear the memories the survivors and current owners have. Pictures are a plus, but more important is remembering the proud Previous Owners who used these items.

Ok, now for the favor.

I have been blackmailed into being the chairperson for the feature.
One of the items that go with it is the newsletter feature article.

SO, I need ideas. Mainly just random thoughts that help define what I means to you to own a piece with a tie to your history. I will use these to help inspire to write some short articles to help entice people to bring their treasures and their memories to our show next Fathers Day.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:37 PM

The first thought would be that the exhibitor needs to have a written history of the piece of equipment similar to what you did for your dad's Massey. Otherwise, to the spectator, it's just another piece of equipment. That aspect should be emphasized to get people to comply with the request. Maybe a special feature card titled "Why this is special to me" would help.

As for the newsletter, how about something like honor someone dear to you by displaying a piece of their equipment.

• Gtractor, MH81, David Brown and 2 others have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:48 PM

Alan, this is the easiest thing to write about. Go read the TOM for my Grandpa's Kubota, the Grampus, not sure what is in that, but it talks of his service in the Navy. I think at this point to own Grandpa's, or Great Grandpa's tractor is a link back to the generation known as the "Greatest Generation". You know, when men were men and farm women were as tough as the men haha. How can you not think about the simpler times before computers and the men and women who worked hard to buy their sometimes first tractors. And then to hang onto these tractors and work them because they paid for them out of their savings, or even monthly, knowing they were investments, not throw aways of today. These tractors are not only a connection to the past men and women, but to have that connection within the family it is not just knowing the man or woman that was your family, but the faithful horse of the family, the familty tractor. Even tractors as new as the 1980s are valueable to the next generation that dont always have a link to a great great grandfather. No matter the tractor, it is always "the tractor that Grandpa painted the front wheels on the night before the wife wanted to use it to cultivate the following morning because he wanted her to use the other cultivating tractor, not that one." Yes, that was my Farmall Cub I am refering to. But you can not replace the family member when they are gone, but you can keep their faithful companion running forever and that is close enough to not miss them as much.
  • DougT, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:53 PM

I agree with Doug on this one.  I can only assume that you will get a very good turnout for this.  People who have heirloom tractors have them for a reason... they like to talk about them.  Most folks have a story in their head (myself included).  I think they would jump at the chance to do this.  So, are you looking for stories during the course of the next year to put in the newsletter leading up to the show or are you just trying to gain interest so all of this equipment can show up next year to share stories.  I've been wanting to bring my tractors to your show for a couple of years now so this may be the time to do it if I can get away.  In short I would think if you just let them talk (or write), the stories will be awesome.

Edited by David Brown, July 08, 2016 - 07:56 PM.

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I put this in the monthly feature tractor, a while ago. Don't know if it's any good to you or not. Any way, just some thing I have.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 05:38 AM

I think its a wonderful idea ! Most clubs have a 8x11 cardboard sign with clubs name ,then a spot for the owners ,tractor discription ect . Maybe your club could print special ones in a different color with a spot on who owned it before . If they have a printed story they could place it next to it . This way as people look through the show they,ll be able to know which ones to look closer and ask questions . Are you opening this to hand tools too ? Myself when my mom moved to live with my sister I kept an old 3 prong cultivator that she used for years . Though I have many already that's the one I like to use , it make me think of her

Edited by Alc, July 09, 2016 - 05:39 AM.

• MH81, LilysDad and MolonLabe have said thanks

#7 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Great idea Allen, all of my equipment are heirlooms with stories. I'm thinking of my grandparents 110 JD that I have partially restored and the 80 cart to go with it. Spent a lot of hours mowing on it when I was too young to operate the farm equipment. Whenever I would show up to "work" after the dew had already burnt off, sometimes my grandmother would have already started the mowing and I couldn't wait to get on that little tractor. I can still see her on that mower. I'm pretty sure this one won't ever leave my barn as long as I'm around.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I wish you luck with your task. I'm sure it will turn out well.

• MH81, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 02:24 PM

I assume it goes without saying that all are invited to bring their Memories and their equipment next year...
  • olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:02 PM

A bit far for me, Alan!

• MH81 said thank you

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 04:31 PM

A show like this is not about the tractors, equipment, how big, what it can do, or how rare, expensive it is, it doesn't even have to run or be in working condition.

This event is all about the stories that go with it.

That's what you need to focus on.   

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 07:20 PM

That sounds like a great theme for that show Alan! Good luck putting it together. This kind of thing is why I can't get rid of the old MTD LT in my avatar and a couple of trucks.

DAC

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heritage, tractors, equipment, heirloom