• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 09:37 AM

Awesome garden this year!!! You will love the Cherokee Purple tomatoes, an ugly tomato but tastes like no other. One word of advise, don't wait too long to pick, they rot out pretty fast. Once they darken up and the shoulders stay green and your thumb easily presses in, pick them and ripen inside. Otherwise, you may be us in our first years of growing them, bugs got into them before we did.

Let me know how the rabbit fence works. We were forced into putting a 36" one up this year, so far not much success. He comes too late in the night to shoot, always between midnight and 3Am on the wildlife camera...and it's a big one!

Thanks for the info on the CP tomatoes. My wife has a lot of Cherokee & is big on heirloom seeds. I was excited about them until I seen how ugly they were. Lol

This year I've seen two very large rabbits & two little ones but they haven't came near the garden. I shot several last year. Are they digging under or jumping your fence? While researching the fence I seen pics of a rabbit that had jumped high enough to get through the larger mesh area.

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Your garden is a work of art :worshippy1: :worshippy1: :worshippy1: I would be embarrassed for you to see mine . How many bales of straw does it take to cover it ?

I don't know about a work of art but I guess my nature of perfection goes crazy sometimes. We have a lot of clay & the straw keeps it from drying out so fast & the weeds down. The garden inside is 24x48 & it took almost 4 bales. I put it heavy around the potatoes because I've hilled them three times & their blooming now.
  • Alc and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,262 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 09:22 AM

Well this year's straw covering led to a weed disaster. The only place I could get it was from a local hardware store. I've tried to weed but can't do much in this heat we've been having. I never seen so many weeds in straw before like this. Some areas I had to rake the straw back, hoe then drag the straw back. I think next year I'm going to concentrate on just using grass clippings. I've done this before with good results. A few of you were an encourament about using grass too.

Our beets, carrots, radishes & one row of onions are harvested. I went to till these areas & no start, no fire. I have an older JcPenny's with an 8hp briggs. The coil was shorting so I replaced the coil & was good to go. I tilled the beet area for a second planting, hoed some areas between the tomatoes but had to quit because of storms. I was soaked with sweat & welcomed that rain. The beans are climbing, cucumbers & okra are blooming. Picked a few tomatoes, potatoes will be ready in a few weeks, cabbages are big as a softball. Our peppers are bad, their just sitting there not much better than when we planted them. We're still learning who to buy from since we've only been here two years. Most all plants we bought that didn't do well came from the same nursery so won't be going there anymore. This same place was where I bought the last load of top soil & after it rained I was raking gravel...I was mad. Hoping this week to plant some more onions, beets & turnips.

Edited by Sawdust, July 24, 2017 - 09:45 AM.

• Cvans and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#19 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 248 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 02:56 PM

I used straw once, disaster also.  I use only grass clippings now and it seems to work OK.  Damn purslane still seems to find it's way it though, it is bane of my existence.  Still having problems with rabbits.  I have two snares set, 5 dead and many to go.  A medium size one was kinda tasty with hickory BBQ sauce on it on the grill.  There is a huge killer bunny still lurking, but seems smarter than me.

• Sawdust said thank you