#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 04:12 PM

Got gasket for G14 tractor, thanks Brian. I was told will be undersized some, it is. Was told need to wet it and swell. Now....how does one do that? Wet towels, lay it between then? Pan of water or say cookie tray? That seems to much, is only paper, yet kinda thick. Have to do this right before install, and put on damp? Do I need sealer then, or is thick enuf to form and squish good naked? Will it dry out and leak later and need to check?

#2 heliosuk OFFLINE  

heliosuk
  • Member No: 59196
  • 87 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Which gasket are you referring to?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 05:37 PM

You may not need to do it,  sometimes they line up no problem

With the top trans gasket 1713429 they were made out of a vegetable fiber material and was told by the manufacturer they may need to be soaked in water a bit if they shrink in the dry weather sitting on a parts shelf

These were pressure sealing and no need to use a sealer on them, I usually give a light coating of grease to get them to stay in place during assembly.

• Alc said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:23 PM

OK, so is shrunk some, only about 1/2 bolt holes reached when set on there. So, still not getting HOW to wet it. Direct soak, just a wet towel, misting?  Install when damp then I assume?  I will leave off sealer. How long a soak?  Will it break if I handle it when wet or too wet?? Never done this before as you can tell. Guess I should have just got paper and made my own, but didn't.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Just let it sit in water about 5 minutes or just soak the end part, they will not fall apart

When I get more made I'll have to check with the manufacture if there is another way to fix this, I wanted to use the same material as OEM but that  just may be too old of technology for todays standards LOL

#6 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 06:13 AM

Vegetable fiber material ....maybe put some vegetable oil on it? I like to grease my gaskets to however I have even dipped my finger in motor oil to coat a gasket before to make it flexible enough to bend around a plenum . That was per the gasket makers instructions to make the gasket flexible enough to make the bends. 

• Bolens 1000 and LPBolens have said thanks