• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Montgomeryluv15 OFFLINE  

Montgomeryluv15
  • Member No: 49533
  • 38 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 11:12 AM

Yesterday i found a JC-Penney branded MTD 990 got sold the first day  :(.

Today i find a MTD 990 only comes with 54" blade, Three point hitch, Weights and chains. what should i offer him... He's asking $650. i only have $540 in wallet..

*I noticed its got quite large rear tires... factory?* 

Attached Thumbnails

• 00M0M_8byOylvrXJy_600x450.jpg
  • 00u0u_dean9sYyrbn_600x450.jpg

• Sawdust and MolonLabe have said thanks

#2 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 11:24 AM

The tires a automotive types, definitely wider than the MTD 990's I've seen. I have no idea what to offer him, but I wish you all the best luck in negotiating!  

• Montgomeryluv15 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Can't hurt to ask. Tell him that's all you have.

If he need more, will he take a deposit to hold? (Get it on paper, video if possible)

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Yesterday i found a JC-Penney branded MTD 990 got sold the first day  :(.

Today i find a MTD 990 only comes with 54" blade, Three point hitch, Weights and chains. what should i offer him... He's asking $650. i only have $540 in wallet..

*I noticed its got quite large rear tires... factory?* 

Offer him $500.00 and see what he says. With the chains, wheel weight combo, that tractor will do anything you want it to do. It even looks like it has the tool box between the rear fenders, those are always missing!

• boyscout862, VTXrider, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 12:22 PM

Don't offer anything until you see how it runs and works. Someone was giving away a mower deck for that. It was on here about a week or two ago. Good Luck, Rick

Here:  http://gardentractor...mtd-mower-deck/

Edited by boyscout862, July 08, 2016 - 05:57 PM.

• Sawdust, Montgomeryluv15 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 01:06 PM

His price seems high for around here, but I have paid $350 for a barely running one also with blade only. I agree those look like truck tires on there, wider than most, but should be good. Remember, these have 15" wheels, not the smaller 12's of most GT's.  Toolbox there, as mentioned, no big deal, but usually gone. These things can push a lot of snow set-up like that, don't get stuck, heh!

• VTXrider and Montgomeryluv15 have said thanks

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Looks to be about a 1976 with the quick change deck lift carriage. Also looks like the hydraulic lift is not working with a manual lift lever for the plow blade. Hard to tell from the picture but the front guide brackets for the plow look to be not there and the plow is for a scissors type lift. Not correct for the lift on this tractor. An offer of $350 would be a good start but not more than $450. A 50" deck may not fit this tractor with the larger tires and chains, might fit without chains. If more were known about it, it might be worth more. 

I would be cautious buying this.  

Edited by VTXrider, July 08, 2016 - 02:07 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Looks like someone threw it together to use it then decided to sell it.Car tires on the rear Non functional hydro lift.Rear rims are original 15" but someone put car tires on it.

If your seriously considering it I would go and check it out just to make sure it's what you want.Look for hydraulic leaks,excessive driveshaft vibration,engine smoke,knocking under load and see if the 3 point will lift you up.Stand on the ball and operate the lift leaver.

That should cover most of the mechanical stuff.$650 is pretty high for that without a deck.For $650 it should atleast have a good seat on it lol I would offer $400 Maybe $450 if its a good runner with a fresh battery.

• VTXrider, Sawdust and Montgomeryluv15 have said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 05:46 PM

I love these GT's as you can tell in my avatar pic.  You got some good advice I agree start at $400. then reluctantly say $450. because of the lift & deck. It does look like it's been patched up to sell. These are tanks to work with, a lot of parts available & best of all you got a lot of help on here that can guide you through your project. Let us know what happened.

• TheFarm2004, VTXrider, SupplySergeant and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Montgomeryluv15 OFFLINE  

Montgomeryluv15
  • 38 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Offer him $500.00 and see what he says. With the chains, wheel weight combo, that tractor will do anything you want it to do. It even looks like it has the tool box between the rear fenders, those are always missing!

I gave him the offer of $500 replyed back its sold... this is the 2nd one i replied to and got taken. they must be pretty popular machines 

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 Montgomeryluv15 OFFLINE  

Montgomeryluv15
  • 38 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Looks like someone threw it together to use it then decided to sell it.Car tires on the rear Non functional hydro lift.Rear rims are original 15" but someone put car tires on it.

If your seriously considering it I would go and check it out just to make sure it's what you want.Look for hydraulic leaks,excessive driveshaft vibration,engine smoke,knocking under load and see if the 3 point will lift you up.Stand on the ball and operate the lift leaver.

That should cover most of the mechanical stuff.$650 is pretty high for that without a deck.For $650 it should atleast have a good seat on it lol I would offer $400 Maybe $450 if its a good runner with a fresh battery.

i will try that on the next one i find, he sold it. 

#12 Montgomeryluv15 OFFLINE  

Montgomeryluv15
  • 38 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 09:52 PM

I love these GT's as you can tell in my avatar pic.  You got some good advice I agree start at $400. then reluctantly say $450. because of the lift & deck. It does look like it's been patched up to sell. These are tanks to work with, a lot of parts available & best of all you got a lot of help on here that can guide you through your project. Let us know what happened.

Yeah i agree with that Quote "These are tank" some of the best tractors out there can out pull and work the new one. he sold it but i'll keep looking added you as a friend. Thanks MW Luv15 

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Do you know about SearchTempest. Just put your zip code, how many mile radius you want to travel, & item your looking for.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cheap, dirt blade, 3pt