Garden Tractor Forums banner

JCPenny Model 1851

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Texas Deere and Horse 
#1 ·
Found this cool old tractor dirt cheap on Craigslist waiting for a response from him. how rare are these JC brand MTD tractors? what's out there for attachments, He has 4 attachments i can buy off him for an extra $150 for a total of $450 with the tractor

i was told you can get a loader for these just like the common Sears ST series tractors... are they reliable?

#3 ·
They are great old tractors and stout as a bull. Cast iron Briggs engine,shaft driven to a Peerless 2500 series two speed hydro with high and low range. 49.5 Inch wheelbase,15 inch rear wheels,and CAT.0 3 point hitch. They make a nice little utility tractor. The decks are shaft driven and a shaft driven tiller was available for them. Lots of info in the MTD subforum on 990's.

#5 ·
They are great old tractors and stout as a bull. Cast iron Briggs engine,shaft driven to a Peerless 2500 series two speed hydro with high and low range. 49.5 Inch wheelbase,15 inch rear wheels,and CAT.0 3 point hitch. They make a nice little utility tractor. The decks are shaft driven and a shaft driven tiller was available for them. Lots of info in the MTD subforum on 990's.
Awesome thank you. most of my knowledge is on Montgomery wards. just been looking around for a plot tractor.

will any mower MTD mower deck fit this? i found a video on youtube someone posted these were made from 1970 to 1984. if i can grab this one i'll get some photos of the serial # i'd like to know the year of it.

#7 ·
If youre able to get the attachments grab them. Theyre a little harder to find. That would be a MTD 990 model just rebranded for JC pennys. 2 speed hydro drive with hydro lift. An amazing tractor. Makes me wish I still had mine.
I will keep in touch with you if i do. wondering what the factory color was.. :) used to see alot of these here in Michigan not anymore. always wanted one.

#9 ·
The deck will have to be from a shaft driven 900 series. There are a few tell tale signs to tell a newer 990 from an older one. The earlier ones used 3 bolt front hub wheels and heavier steering gears than the later 990's. There was also a high mount and low mount starter generator engine setup over the years. There is a bulge in the side of the cast grill housing for a low mount or high mount starter generator. Then the last of the 990's used a bendix or gear drive starter and had no bulge at all in the cast grill housing. The earlier 990's also had heavier duty rear hubs than the later 990's.

#12 ·
American Farmer sells a 15 inch ag tire in a 7.60 x15. It fits these tractors nicely. It is a couple of inches taller than stock but I personally like the taller tire. They are very reasonable too. Last I checked they were still under $100 a tire ( I'm thinking around $85 ?).
I can't find these online Jim? Can you find me a link?

Reactions: rustyoldjunk
#14 ·
American Farmer sells a 15 inch ag tire in a 7.60 x15. It fits these tractors nicely. It is a couple of inches taller than stock but I personally like the taller tire. They are very reasonable too. Last I checked they were still under $100 a tire ( I'm thinking around $85 ?).
Awesome i'll check my Farm & Garden store to see if they sell them. the owner said it was sitting for 8 years or so now. its time i think for a tune-up and new tires.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jim, I think it has 12" tires on it by the way it's sitting and looks.
Brian,I think you're right. It looks like someone has done a wheel and hub swap. These have 1 1/8th inch axles so Wheel Horse hubs and other brands that also used 1 1/8th axles hubs will work.

#22 ·
I seen what it said on the hood but that didn't look like factory. Every JC Penney I have seen were yellow. This one looked green which would have been a Turf Trac....either way that was a good deal. Keep shoping you'll find one.

Reactions: KDoyle77
#23 ·
I will keep in touch with you if i do. wondering what the factory color was.. :) used to see alot of these here in Michigan not anymore. always wanted one.
I cant for sure tell you the color unfortunately. But it seems anything that as for JC pennys was usually yellow. Mtd was red and I had a turf trac one which was green and had chrome lettering on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.