5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Decided today would be a good day to pull the good engine out of the 1810 and put it in the 1811.  Actually started the preparations a couple days ago.  Rolled the 1811 out of the garage on dollies and gave it a good bath with the pressure washer.  Have a adjustable swivel on the wand that can direct the spray back up at a 45° angle.  Really works good for spraying the under side of things.  Motor came out of the doner tractor, an 1810, with no problem.  Cleaned it up a bit and set it back in the 1811.  While it was partially out I removed the starter and lubed the bushings and drive.  The install went good but took a lot of time, getting bolts and plates lined up, the hood back on etc.

Took it for a test drive when it was all back together.  Ran and drove great.  Time for the 44" deck which was gone over prior and was ready to go.  With the deck on I put it to work mowing.  2 hours later Carolyn tried it mowing a straight strip.  Definitely need a steering wheel spinner though.  The steering is a low ratio and take more turning on the wheel to turn corners.  On up and down slopes it is a hand full to try and steer and lift the deck and slow down all at the same time.  Will take some getting used but going to make a good mowing machine.  Now to find a buy for the LT.

Engine In.JPG    Recpt.-1.JPG    Recpt-2.JPG

Had a pic of the tractor the engine came out of but it didn't get to the right place for some reason.  Tomorrow the hydro comes out of the tractor the engine came out of.  Will have a lot of parts, but the 50" deck off the 1810 is in rough shape.  Could be usable but the lift mechanism is manual and badly wore.  Deck won't hardly lift about 3".

Edited by chieffan, July 07, 2016 - 08:41 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 12:52 AM

Is it a three turn steering column? If so you could replace it with a two turn steering column. Or you could get a spinner knob I guess lol.

Good job on the engine swap, looks like a nice machine to put to work.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Three turn.  Going to pick up a couple spinner knobs this morning.  I want one for my 1512 too.  Just a lot faster and handier to turn with one. 
Thanks for the compliment.  Will make a nice mowing unit.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Looks good! Glad the swap went well!

• chieffan said thank you

#5 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 607 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 08:04 AM

While you had the engine out you should have pulled the tins off it to clean, I've yet to see one that doesn't have some kind of nest in it.
  • shorty and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:33 AM

This one was clean.  It does make a good mowing unit with the 44" deck.  If the lady can get used to the dash hydro control it's all hers.  I'll use the 1512 with the 50" deck.