Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Garden Tractor Cart - are they around?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Curious if anyone sees the old Ford Garden Tractor Carts around for sale?

I'm looking for any shape/condition, but was curious if they are hard to find at all.
Picture is an example I found on the Internet.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• case1man said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:41 PM

I have one that came with my LGT 145. I've only seen a couple of others. The Ford tractors and accessories were sold by Ford Tractor Dealers so, they didn't get as much sales traffic through their show rooms as other dealers. My Ford looks alot like one that came from a Power King and Simplicity Dealer. You can probably find a same brand one and paint it to match. Good Luck, Rick

• case1man, Oldford and gksyn have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:56 PM

I had one once! Sold it.

• boyscout862, case1man and gksyn have said thanks

#4 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 621 Thanks
  • 693 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 04:25 PM

I have one but I am in Atlanta
  • case1man and Oldford have said thanks

#5 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 05:46 PM

I got lucky and found one close for 80.00. There is one on Nashville's craigslist for 200.00

#6 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 07:31 AM

At least I know they are around!
I see online they are mostly for the late 70s, early 80s models. Mine is a 1988. So I will have to see if they made the same one in then.
Thanks for the info!

#7 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 173 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:17 PM

Good luck in your search. 

I remember my dad had a Ford LGT 165 and Ford cart, and then one day traded it in for an unmatching "ugly" John Deere cart. It didn't match the ford and was GREEN!

As an 8 year old, I had no idea why you would trade in a perfectly good matching cart for an unmatching JD cart.

Turns out, the JD cart was made of much thicker steel and was more robust. When I grew up and needed my own trailer, my father found a good deal on a Harbor Freight cart, he insisted I get it. I did. Compared to the JD (or even the Ford), it was a total piece of garbage, but after all- this IS an item I am throwing tree stumps and logs in, so it does take a beating. With my extra ford blue paint, I made a "clone" out of my chinese cart.

From a distance, it looks as good as a ford cart. You can even get decals from the internet to match the original Ford trailer decals (Although mine is NOT worth the $$ for stickers!)  :D

Up close- it is a cheap piece of junk. In particular- it is two pieces of thin metal for the base joined together with protruding rivets, so it is hard to shovel stuff out of it without hitting rivets. Also- the chinese carts have awful chinese wheels, which need to be replaced with carlisle wheels. The thin sheet metal really shows it's pathetic strength when you see where I tried to toss a stump on it and it crushed the side!!!!   Ha! On the other hand, original ford or equivalent carts have 30+ year old tires, and might need the tires replaced anyways. My dad's JD trailer recently popped it's dry rotted tires when I went to use it! - so in a nutshell, make sure to evaluate the condition of ANY tires you buy on a trailer, as they could need replacement and cost near the same/ or even more than the cart itself. Also consider the bottom of the cart- is it smooth? Can you shovel stuff out of it without catching rivets? This is important stuff!!!!!  :thumbs:

So I guess it all depends on what you want- functionality or originality. If I were to do it again, I'd get as robust of cart as I could off of craigslist and repaint it FORD blue and get the decals (functionality+ a dash of originality)- Otherwise, hold out for an original if you are into originality, but be prepared for sandblasting, repaint, and new tires. ...And then, are you really going to want to use it?????(gravel, tree stumps, shovel mulch, etc?)

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0366.JPG
  • IMG_0359.JPG
  • IMG_0361.JPG

Edited by dualresponse1731, July 08, 2016 - 06:42 PM.

• Rock farmer and gksyn have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:50 PM

I built this one.

• Texas Deere and Horse and dualresponse1731 have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 08, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I built this one.

And did a very nice job too!!

• KennyP said thank you

#10 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 09, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Good luck in your search.

I remember my dad had a Ford LGT 165 and Ford cart, and then one day traded it in for an unmatching "ugly" John Deere cart. It didn't match the ford and was GREEN!
As an 8 year old, I had no idea why you would trade in a perfectly good matching cart for an unmatching JD cart.

Turns out, the JD cart was made of much thicker steel and was more robust. When I grew up and needed my own trailer, my father found a good deal on a Harbor Freight cart, he insisted I get it. I did. Compared to the JD (or even the Ford), it was a total piece of garbage, but after all- this IS an item I am throwing tree stumps and logs in, so it does take a beating. With my extra ford blue paint, I made a "clone" out of my chinese cart.

From a distance, it looks as good as a ford cart. You can even get decals from the internet to match the original Ford trailer decals (Although mine is NOT worth the $$ for stickers!) :D

Up close- it is a cheap piece of junk. In particular- it is two pieces of thin metal for the base joined together with protruding rivets, so it is hard to shovel stuff out of it without hitting rivets. Also- the chinese carts have awful chinese wheels, which need to be replaced with carlisle wheels. The thin sheet metal really shows it's pathetic strength when you see where I tried to toss a stump on it and it crushed the side!!!! Ha! On the other hand, original ford or equivalent carts have 30+ year old tires, and might need the tires replaced anyways. My dad's JD trailer recently popped it's dry rotted tires when I went to use it! - so in a nutshell, make sure to evaluate the condition of ANY tires you buy on a trailer, as they could need replacement and cost near the same/ or even more than the cart itself. Also consider the bottom of the cart- is it smooth? Can you shovel stuff out of it without catching rivets? This is important stuff!!!!! :thumbs:

So I guess it all depends on what you want- functionality or originality. If I were to do it again, I'd get as robust of cart as I could off of craigslist and repaint it FORD blue and get the decals (functionality+ a dash of originality)- Otherwise, hold out for an original if you are into originality, but be prepared for sandblasting, repaint, and new tires. ...And then, are you really going to want to use it?????(gravel, tree stumps, shovel mulch, etc?)

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips!
Orginaltily would have a higher priority than usability. If I were to use it, it would be for mulch, dirt, weeds, leaves. Light loads.
The heavy loads would go on a trailer or a newer craftsman one I have to beat up. :)

My tractor is in really good condition. I'm at the point of "Do I take the time to restore it? But then will I want to use it?" The cart would be in the same boat.

I built this one.

I checked it out, very nice job! I always admire welders. A skill I do not have nor have the time to master. I'm just getting into woodworking lol. Oh and garden tractors :)
  • KennyP said thank you