#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Came home to this yesterday, pretty much a total loss. I had a few stalks pulled down over the last few weeks, figured it was groundhogs. This I think was the bad storms that passed through yesterday afternoon, high winds and heavy down pour. This was the first time in many years we have done corn and was looking really good. Oh well, guess I will cut a few stalks and feed the goats.

corn 1.jpg

corn.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, July 07, 2016 - 08:08 AM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Don't get in a big hurry to cut it yet.  Lot of it may come back up.  I have seen the same thing here many times with wind blown corn.  Not always but a lot of times it will come back up enough for the ear to develop off the ground.  Seen a lot of spots yesterday in fields where a storm went through SE of the Omaha, Ne area.

• boyscout862, TAHOE, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:25 AM

Oh man and that corn was growing great. Some of it may bounce back, but I know the feeling when it takes all that time to grow something and it gets destroyed. I am having a massive problem this year with rodents...I'll get some photos and share what I am up against this year and why I think I am getting infested. I have a nice strawberry patch I been growing for the past 3 years now and this was the best growing but worst harvest ever. Getting a berry around here has turned into a competition that I am, losing at big time. 

My corn looks like sticks compared to yours. Good job on that 

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:36 AM

All my ears of corn are eaten up with worms

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Got to spray the sweet corn to keep the bugs out, just like a farmer has to spray his crop to keep it clean.  No difference, just on a smaller scale. 
To control the coon, etc. spray and strip about 2' wide around you corn patch to kill the vegetation.  Then run hot wires around the patch, one about 4" above the ground and another about 6" above that.  A third won't hurt a thing either but usually that bottom one will stop them.

• ducky, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:04 AM

That first photo looks like the squirrels in my area.

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I would definitely leave that for a few days, I think a lot of it will stand up enough to produce.

• boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Yea, I won't cut it just yet, maybe it will pop back up. Even though we did a small patch, it was looking pretty, silver queen. some of the stalks are visibly broken though.

We have had a horrible time this year too with pests. Up to trapping 4 or 5 raccoons, but not before they got 7 of my chickens.

Working on the ground hogs now, but they are clever little punks.

I also had to rehome two large black snakes, found one in my pen of baby chicks trying to eat one.

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger fighting critters.  The rifle I have has a scope on and no open sights.  Spotted about the 4th
Ground Hog going up through our pond area at the end of the garage not 15' from the house.  I grabbed  the rifle and he sat up at the corner of the garage.  got him the left front shoulder or leg as he came running back from the direction he came on 3, trying for 4.  With the scope he was way to close to even find him.  That was 3 weeks ago.  Yesterday Carolyn saw one sitting up at the corner of the wood shop where they have a couple holes going under.  Guess I didn't get him good enough or it is another one.  Have caught 3 coon in a live trap under the bird feeders.  She spotted a big one during the night when she was up under the feeders.  Upset the trap, concrete block and all, tripped it and left a mess behind.  Guess I am going to have to sleep all day and stay out on patrol all night.

• TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Depending on the size of the corn patch and work involved I have had luck with standing it back up and hilling it. The cobs filled just fine. With the varmint problem,  I don't like using it, but carefully monitored "magic spice", aka poison, works well. I much prefer the mentioned electric fence, and a boom stick is fun and satisfying. Good hunting.  :shoot2:  

Edited by oldedeeres, July 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:11 PM

Do not get in a hurry yet corn will come back before it sets a cob.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Chief Fan and Ducky are right!  I think it is called Bow Ark, the corn will recover and stand back up(have a bow in the stocks). I have some that got hit the other night myself about a week from picking.  It is no big thing for hand picking, but a pain for machine picking field corn.

• oldedeeres, TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:53 AM

You all were correct, about 2/3's of the corn has stood back up. I tried to hoe/re-hill some of it. The rest looks like stalks were broke so they probably are done for.

Now, if I can keep the darn gone rabbits out from eating the leaves off my bean and sweet potatoes. :mad2:  :mad2: :mad2:  

The powdered Seven and Irish springs soap works pretty well, until it rains :wallbanging:

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hey Marty 700 WLW radio 24/7 has been working well so far. It sounds your in the middle of a wildlife zoo. I watched a rabbit get close but went away. Our corn laid down as well from the same storm you had but back up now. I'm worried about the raccoons though. I might have to do like Chieffan & stand guard at night.

Edited by Sawdust, July 14, 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 11:20 AM

We've trapped and killed 5 coons in the last month, I was losing too many chickens.

I don't have electric back there so no radio.

I am worried about the ground hogs now destroying garden when veggies come on, they are smart boogers. Tried several different traps and feed, they won't fall for it. I'm about ready to start smoking them out.

• Sawdust said thank you