• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 05:34 AM

Can someone tell me how to find the chart for the amount of fluid, for loading tires. Gettin sick and tired of spining up hills around trees and bushes. Turf tires have no traction. Can't afford ag tires or chains at the moment.
Thanks for any help,

Noel
  • KennyP said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:07 AM

Kenny just posted it yesterday in another thread. I'll try to find it for you. I've gotten old car tire chains for real cheap and then cut them down to fit GTs. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#3 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:09 AM

http://www.rimguard....es-2014-PDF.pdf

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Here you go.

• CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Always thought you just put the stem at top when filling and fill to that level?  Then rest is for air to plump out the tire. Tire is not completely full of just fluid, say 85% or such??

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:39 AM

I've seen some videos where guys take a chisel and heat up with a propane torch then cut out every other lug/square on turf tires. It makes a poor man's All trail or aggressive turf type tire. Supposedly it helps.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:20 AM

A used set of old tire chains could be cheaper than putting fluid in the tires.  Start asking around or post a wanted in tire shops, etc.  Personally I like a cross bar on every other side link.  With this it will take about 4 chains to make up two for your tractor.  Need one cross bar under the tire at all times.  If your mowing unit does not have a differential, that is both wheels drive all the time, it will be hard to get away from the inside wheel turning faster than the outside thus spinning with take over.  Good luck.  Also try slowing down when turning around bushes, trees, etc.  I have a front deck JD and have to back way off on the ground speed to keep from digging a trench around the bushes, shrubs and trees.  Good luck.

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:39 AM

The only difference I noticed between AG tires and Turf tires when cutting grass is this:

AG Tires spin, they rip up your grass dig into the dirt and go.

Turf tires spin, you don't go anywhere but you don't leave a freaking trench in your yard.

I have one section of my yard that is slightly up hill and at the top starting my cutting pattern I spin on that turn.  AGs or Turf tires I spin.

Easier for me to just slow down a bit, ride the clutch and slip it a bit and I can go right around with either set of tires. 

Wheel weights or no wheel weights I still spin. 

Now chains would probably stop me from spinning entirely.  But I hate tire chains unless I really need them.  We have a two sets for the cubs and they only go on with the wheel weights when snow plowing time comes.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:10 AM

I run ags to cut grass and I have some steep hills. I do much less damage with my ags that grip and go versus the turfs that spins all the time. Granted they are loaded and 55# wheel weight on each side too :thumbs:

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks guys. Some of the things you mentioned , I've already tried. Most of my lawn cutters have ag tires, which I like great. So, what about useing just plain water. Cheaper than washer fluid. Then drain down to the valve stem for winter. Turn the stem up to the top for winter storage. When the water in the bottom of the tire freezes, will it cause any damage ???

Noel

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Thanks guys. Some of the things you mentioned , I've already tried. Most of my lawn cutters have ag tires, which I like great. So, what about useing just plain water. Cheaper than washer fluid. Then drain down to the valve stem for winter. Turn the stem up to the top for winter storage. When the water in the bottom of the tire freezes, will it cause any damage ???

Noel

Think rust. Old car chains are great, once you learn to modify them you can do any thing you want. When I was about 12 we took a set apart and hung them in a tree for a swing. Don

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Rust is the only negative thing I can think of.  I've bought a few tractors with loaded tires, probably loaded for 20+ years but the rims were all basically shot.

#13 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Rust is the only negative thing I can think of.  I've bought a few tractors with loaded tires, probably loaded for 20+ years but the rims were all basically shot.

Even with tubes where the fluid never touches the rim. The fluid stays at a cooler temp than the outside air and causes condensation, the rim never dries out. Another maintenance headache.   Don

• toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Ice if partly full might break away some and have chunks or ONE BIG chuck banging around in there??  OR, as it comes around from top with all the weight swinging down, might give you a surging go, slow, go, slow kinda of ride at slower rates?? Same if you don't put enough fluid in, kinda surges and lunges??

#15 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Your better off with wheel weights, everything on the market is rough on rims some how, even windshield washer fluid.

I use ags in summer and turfs for snow/ice. I have several steep hills and a steep ditch to mow. Without ags and two sets of weights I can't mow. I do a lot less damage with ags over the turfs!f547b2923b199606925b76f594c5e111.jpg
9b13d6d2aa8b86123b5a10dc23ccbd67.jpg
98b2f63b2fc1915af0e7d459b21d79b0.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk