Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New member with a 1220 transmission question!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • Member No: 83648
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hi everyone!

About three years ago I decided to buy a garden tractor and somehow ended up with not one but three Bolens "projects", in various states of disrepair: a 1220, a G12, and an H16. Along with these I got three mower decks (all with seized spindle bearings, of course), a couple of tillers, and an assortment of Brinley cultivating tools.

The G12 and H16 weren't running when I bought them, but the 1220 was (more or less). I drove it up the ramps into my pickup, down the ramps and into a shed at home. There it's sat for the last three years!

This summer I decided it was high time I did something with these wrecks, and since the 1220 was a known runner I've started with it. I did some work on the engine, cleaned out the fuel system, did some necessary rewiring, and it's running fine.

The problem is the transmission: it runs in reverse just fine, but none of the forward gears are working! Yes, the driveshaft is spinning (remember, it backs up nicely.) What's odd is that it worked just fine before I parked it.

I've done a lot of engine work (diesel and gas, small and large) but have never taken apart a transmission. Given the symptoms, what problem should I be looking for?

Thanks!

• CharlesDes said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hello welcome to GTT, lots of friendly Bolens folks here :wave:

Sounds like something may have come apart or fallen out in the shift forks, you will have to pull the top cover off and see what it looks like on top, they are very simple and removing the top cover is not hard at all, could just be a simple issue

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1561.jpg

• MailmAn said thank you

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Welcome aboard,Bolens 1000 gave you a good place to start,you get time post some pics of your finds

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, July 06, 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#4 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Thanks! Can I pull the top cover without removing the rear end from the frame?

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 10:28 PM

Sure can,remove the seat and seat pan,you will see the bolts holding down the cover,there are also 2 bolts on the steering tower you will need to remove,you will see what you need to do once you get into it
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:35 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,117 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Here is a pdf that shows diagrams of what gears are in play in each gear that may help with your troubleshooting.

Attached Files

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,467 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'm new to Bolens too. That thin metal top cover just looks like a body cover, but IS the top of trans and is open with it off. Gasket there, be careful. The shifter and brake link and other items want to stay on the cover. Knob off the brake lock will let it pass thru cover.  I would look under there with flashlight and make sure all these linkages are working first. They are all outside the gear case. The shifter ball has a pin between those two small covers/mounts that needs to be held in place when re-assembling if you should remove that from cover. There are two shafts with what looks like bigger ends with a slot area between them and they go in and out to shift. One at a time tho.  Also on these are the axles with the pin in back that needs to be pulled out to un-lock and push tractor, or pushed back in to drive. Can't push this gear box with pin engaged. Other side may also have a BIG NUT center that can be screwed in to lock wheel into traction and un-screwed to release tractoin on that one side. Might check both of those items. BUT, you said does move in reverse, so may not apply?? But, also, maybe just enough rust or catching of components that it moves a little with that low gearing for reverse.

• MailmAn said thank you

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Welcome aboard!

#10 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 07, 2016 - 03:27 PM

I'm new to Bolens too. That thin metal top cover just looks like a body cover, but IS the top of trans and is open with it off. Gasket there, be careful. 

Thanks for mentioning that! Is that gasket available, or will I need to get some gasket material and make one myself?

Never mind - I checked the site sponsors, found one who had the gasket (and the choke cable I needed), and ordered them up!

Edited by GrantC, July 07, 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#11 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Well, I pulled the cover off the transmission (as it happens the old gasket is still in good shape!) I didn't have a shift fork issue, which is what I was anticipating, but something else.

The worm gear is driving the spur gear, but the spur isn't making the wheels move. I'm not sure exactly how that differential works; can someone point me to the right service manual in the manuals area - or just tell me what make the transmission is?

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Any pics of your trans? maybe we will see an issue

These are Bolens Built transmissions

See below for manuals

http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

http://gardentractor...35-bolens-1220/

• MailmAn and GrantC have said thanks

#13 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Any pics of your trans? maybe we will see an issue

These are Bolens Built transmissions

See below for manuals

http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

http://gardentractor...35-bolens-1220/

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Here's a shot of the differential section. The square-head setscrew is loose, but the collar doesn't move (at least, not easily.) The brass spur gear underneath the worm seems like it should engage the right side gear, but doesn't - just slips. The left side gear is, obviously, no where near contact.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1610.jpg
  • IMG_1611.JPG

Edited by GrantC, July 14, 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:28 AM

You will also want to do your rear axle endplay adjustment

http://gardentractor...lay-adjustment/

#15 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,117 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:09 AM

"Here's a shot of the differential section. The square-head setscrew is loose, but the collar doesn't move (at least, not easily.)"

Here are some pictures that may help.  I believe there should be two set screws as mentioned in the text in the second picture and they should be tight and locked with a wire as shown in the pictures of my 1050 rear end.  There should also be an axle key underneath the collar that may have sheared.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Axle Key.jpg
  • 2  Rear End Picture.jpg
  • 3 Rear Axle Picture With Wire To Hold Screws.jpg
  • 4 Two Screws.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, July 15, 2016 - 09:11 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks